Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Entertainment Forum
Jesus Christ Superstar(1973)?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 pm
What is everyone's veiw on the 1973 movie Jesus Christ Superstar?
I heard there was a JCS in 2000, but as I've never seen it, that's not counting.

I'm also told that some churches didn't really like it. I can kind of see why. I mean, Jesus seems more human then the son of God in it, and for some people, it makes them like Judas much more.

BUT, I've noticed that many NON Christians liked it A LOT. They find it a good way to explain what happened, even if they don't entirely believe it.

In fear of being lectured because I like or dislike it, I don't want to say my veiws.... sweatdrop

EXCEPT, I will state that(in my opinion) the best line(okay, technically it's a song lyric, but still xD) in the movie is: "One thing I'll say for him, Jesus is coooool."
Why?
Because it's true. Jesus is da bomb. 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:53 pm
I have never seen it. I can't bring myself to even want to see it because the very title just sounds and looks very irreverent to me.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm
Actually, I'm not even sure where the title comes from. The only song in the movie that mentions Jesus being a superstar is, "Hosanna," which is during the time when Jesus entering Jerusaleum(I think I spelled it right) and the priests are saying that they think he wants to make himself a king, so he has to die.

PS: The lyrics, during the priest's part, that mention him being a superstar are: Jesus Christ, Superstar. (This is followed by someone saying they believe he is the Son of God or something.)

Oh, and by the way, what does irreverent mean? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Sounds awesome.
I would like to see it, but the odds of me finding it on DVD is slim since it is so old.

I'll look for it on Amazon though.  

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm
Really? I actually thought my description made it sound worse then it is. At least I know I won't get lectured by one person, so I'll admit I like it. Except that Jesus sounds like a woman whenever he hits a high note. And I'm not exagerrating.
Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUX9AJuolqY&feature=watch_response

If this is the case of how Jesus was in REAL LIFE, then I wouldn't mind.
However, since it's in a MOVIE.... eek

PS: I'm not making fun of the actor's voice, either. I'm just pointing it out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:13 pm
Vegeta_Lover239
Actually, I'm not even sure where the title comes from. The only song in the movie that mentions Jesus being a superstar is, "Hosanna," which is during the time when Jesus entering Jerusaleum(I think I spelled it right) and the priests are saying that they think he wants to make himself a king, so he has to die.

PS: The lyrics, during the priest's part, that mention him being a superstar are: Jesus Christ, Superstar. (This is followed by someone saying they believe he is the Son of God or something.)

It means lack of respect; critical of what is generally accepted or respected.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm
Shadows-shine
Vegeta_Lover239

It means lack of respect; critical of what is generally accepted or respected.

Ohhhhhh okay.

On that note, and as I said in another post, I think I made it sound more disrespectful then it is. Yes, it's a bit disrespectful, but not extremely much.

I think the part with least respect for Jesus and God and such would be....

'Kay, well, you know how Jesus storms the temple because they were using it as a marketplace? Well, after that....Just watch it. ._.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VGRwsYDAbY&feature=related

Humor related, I have a question for the leper who says he can barely talk:

You can barely talk?
THEN HOW ARE YOU SINGING? burning_eyes

(I'm not like, trying to convince you to watch it or anything, by the way. xD I was just stating it.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm
Naw, I'm not uptight.
I'll give it a shot.

It is a movie, I cant judge it until I watch it.

But I do not like that Bruce Almighty movie.
that was random.  

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

I haven't seen it but I'm with Shadows. It sounds disrespectful. Actually, honestly, I don't really care for any Jesus movies because I feel then people are worshiping that image of Christ instead of Christ himself. Also most of the time they focus more on his physical pain, which I'm not saying wasn't terrible because yea, it was. But the thing that caused him the most pain was spiritual, being disconnected from the Lord His father in that one moment. Could you really stand that? Having every sin of every human being past, present, and future being dumped on you and then the Lord completely turning away from you? And He is the son of God, He is one with the Lord and to be disconnected from him like that, I can try to imagine it, but I know that I'm not coming anywhere close to what it was like. I've kind of rambled. sweatdrop sorry.

p.s. Vegeta, a nice little site that I have always found a nice little help when stuck on a word that I don't know is Dictionary.com It's the most popular site of it's kind and hopefully can help you out in the future. ^^

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 am
No problem. I was just wondering if anyone had seen it and if their views on it. My family would always watch it around Easter when I was little, so I've grown to like it. sweatdrop

And I can understand not liking any Jesus movies. That is true.
No, I can't imagine that. gonk

But the movie is sort of funny. One fact that I find interesting is that the world is kind of advanced. Here's some examples:

King Herod looks like a hippi
The roman guards have machine guns
During the time Judas is going to the priests to betray Jesus, he's being chased by planes and tanks, which reprosent his fear of the Roman army or something
Some of the people are dressed, not in robes, but in common day clothing

Jesus is much, much more human. Seriously, he starts pretty much YELLING at the Apostles that one betrayed him ._.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOvk7RFYTU&feature=related

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
Entertainment Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items