Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
So we are punished for what our family did?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm
...for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me ..." Exodus 20:5 (NIV)

So we will be punished for what our family before us did?
The heck?

Can someone explain this?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm
Sin is of the flesh and you are of the flesh of your parents. But that's where the new testament comes in and turns us into spiritual creatures thus sin is defeated with the flesh.  

Azkeel

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 pm
No, you will not be punished for your parents actions. You would only be punished if you were to follow in their ways. The wise ones learn from the mistakes of others and hopefully you can learn from your parents.
(Hope I helped!)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 pm
callalilly1
No, you will not be punished for your parents actions. You would only be punished if you were to follow in their ways. The wise ones learn from the mistakes of others and hopefully you can learn from your parents.
(Hope I helped!)
Wouldn't that be in straight contradiction of Adam and Eve? Are we not all doomed because of our fathers? But if you are born again through the Messiah you are given the path to salvation.  

Azkeel

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 pm
Azkeel
callalilly1
(Hope I helped!)
Wouldn't that be in straight contradiction of Adam and Eve? Are we not all doomed because of our fathers? But if you are born again through the Messiah you are given the path to salvation.

Good point. We are doomed but through Christ we are allowed forgiveness allowing us the kingdom of heaven.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm
callalilly1
Azkeel
callalilly1
(Hope I helped!)

Good point. We are doomed but through Christ we are allowed forgiveness allowing us the kingdom of heaven.
Yup yup.  

Azkeel

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm
Azkeel
callalilly1
Azkeel
callalilly1
(Hope I helped!)

Yup yup.

mmmmmmhmmmmmm!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm
Now i get it. biggrin

Thanks guys! ^^  

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:16 pm
I was glad to help out! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 pm
No we are not punished for our parent's sins. That verse is saying that insofar as the children learn and do the sinful things the parents do; reference vs. 6 concerning those who repent and serve the Lord.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 pm
Quote:
...for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me ..." Exodus 20:5 (NIV)

I look at that verse and it looks like he specifies. To those who hate the Lord. It's not the Lord going "Your father did this, you did nothing, but I am punishing you for that!" It is "Your father did this and you are doing it too! You are doing the same exact sin of your fathers. So I am punishing you for your sin which also happened to be your father's sin." The Lord will punish those who sin against him, but if you don't follow in your parent's sinful path and repent and go on living a righteous life fully devoted to the Lord then you'll be fine. OUUU!!!! I just found a great link and it specifically talks about your verse: Awesome link is awesome! ^^ Also I must say that the Lord kind of specified on this later : *Deuteronomy 24:16 ESV / 35 helpful votes

“Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.*

Also, Jesus kind of talks about this. It's a little different, but maybe still helpful to you? : *John 9:1-3 ESV / 11 helpful votes

As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.*  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 pm
Scripture mentions us paying for our ancestor's sins several times.

"...maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.” Exodus 34:7

"The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation." Numbers 14:18

"You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me," Deuteronomy 5:9

"You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the fathers’ sins into the laps of their children after them. O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD Almighty," Jeremiah 32:18

Though there are many ways to look at it. One way is, through Adam's eating of the fruit sin has been past down to us thus we take on the sins of those before us. Another way would be to look at from a physical point of view. If a person a mass murderer their family would have to live with the reputation of that person's sins for generations. Also if a person was abused as a child most likely they will abuse someone else when they are older, thus a family cycle of abuse that is hard to break that can last for generations. There is also the literal interpretation of what it says which makes sense when one looks at the history behind it. So explainations have valuable points that makes sense but I will leave it up t you on how you would like to interpret it.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Robotic Chewie19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm
Testicular Diabeetus

So we will be punished for what our family before us did?
The heck?

Can someone explain this?

Exodus 20:5
King James Version (KJV)
5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games