Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
a new shop just for newbies (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 am
hmmm. i was wondering if i could create a pet shop just for newbies?
i remember when i was a newbie i really wished that i could get a pet/companion/type-thing. itll only pretty much just consist of pets that simply sits there. still to me thats better than nothing. they can pay gold for them. and theyll be affordable too. i mean people sell them on marketplace for gold anyway. so why not? yknow? ill only get those that are already fairly cheap and resell them. would that be wrong?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:33 am
so, um, i cant create a store in the guild? o i know. i could get them off of market place and list them in my store. but i would have make some requirements as to how to get them. in other words, who ever wants it would have to state their username, how long theyve been on gaia, and if they participate in a newbie guild. this will determine if they are indeed a newbie. stating their user will allow me to validate the info that is given me. if said info is correct, then i can gift/sell them their prize. how bout that?  

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 pm
No no its ok. it was my intention all along, youre right, to sell/give them away i the guild. my idea was that way there is least likely a chance for someone whos been on gaia long enough to know how to alter their info and such or is a hack. yknow, safety reasons. i didnt expect for you only to know all the answers to my questions.^^
how ever do you know who i can refer to on the subject of selling/giving away gaia items?
its ok if you dont. there's only one reason as to why id be asking. its a no brainer. thanks for all of your help though. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:47 pm
DandyLionWine
No no its ok. it was my intention all along, youre right, to sell/give them away i the guild. my idea was that way there is least likely a chance for someone whos been on gaia long enough to know how to alter their info and such or is a hack. yknow, safety reasons. i didnt expect for you only to know all the answers to my questions.^^
how ever do you know who i can refer to on the subject of selling/giving away gaia items?
its ok if you dont. there's only one reason as to why id be asking. its a no brainer. thanks for all of your help though. biggrin

Just a couple of ideas - what about making 2 threads, one a guide to affordable companions, and one a giveaway thread, or even combine them? Look in the Charities and Mini-shops subforums for ideas. I know there were at least a couple giveaway threads in there.

People usually do a screenie of their inventory and somehow blot out what they are not offering. But there are a couple problems with that - the pictures are tiny, and you have no way to know the item name. There are ways around that.

Right click on an item and click View Image Info. Then you have 2 choices:

1 - Copy (ctrl-c) the highlighted url and copy.
Type User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(or, itf you are copying it into a post, just highlight and click on the IMG button above the post.)

2 - Or click "Save As" - this will allow you to save the image on your computer, then transfer it to an image host like photobucket, then you can bring it back to anywhere you want on Gaia or elsewhere.

This is more steps, so you may want to go with #1. The advantage of the image host is that your original won't go away, but that is very unlikely with a Gaia item.

If you do go with the image host, DO rename the image before saving it, so you know what it is in your files. And use the .jpg extension (.png is probably the default, and it takes up a LOT more space.)

My answer probably falls in the category of "too much information." Sorry. But I do like the idea of a guide that introduces new folks to affordable items. If you do one on pets/companions, you might also consider including the more affordable I Am's, which usually do include one or more poses as a companion.

If time allows, I would love to work on it with you, if you have any questions.  

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:13 pm
jellykans
DandyLionWine

Just a couple of ideas - what about making 2 threads, one a guide to affordable companions, and one a giveaway thread, or even combine them? Look in the Charities and Mini-shops subforums for ideas. I know there were at least a couple giveaway threads in there.

People usually do a screenie of their inventory and somehow blot out what they are not offering. But there are a couple problems with that - the pictures are tiny, and you have no way to know the item name. There are ways around that.

Right click on an item and click View Image Info. Then you have 2 choices:

1 - Copy (ctrl-c) the highlighted url and copy.
Type User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(or, itf you are copying it into a post, just highlight and click on the IMG button above the post.)

2 - Or click "Save As" - this will allow you to save the image on your computer, then transfer it to an image host like photobucket, then you can bring it back to anywhere you want on Gaia or elsewhere.

This is more steps, so you may want to go with #1. The advantage of the image host is that your original won't go away, but that is very unlikely with a Gaia item.

If you do go with the image host, DO rename the image before saving it, so you know what it is in your files. And use the .jpg extension (.png is probably the default, and it takes up a LOT more space.)

My answer probably falls in the category of "too much information." Sorry. But I do like the idea of a guide that introduces new folks to affordable items. If you do one on pets/companions, you might also consider including the more affordable I Am's, which usually do include one or more poses as a companion.

Although there is such a thing as too much information, for me when it comes to computers theres an exception w/a requirement. The requirement calls for clearness, iykwim.
Now, as for the affordable items part........Uhm, eheh. sweatdrop
Yes, that is a rather considerable (?) idea. Be that as it may, I am not as skilled as you are when it comes to leadership and information on gaia, marketplace, etc. (Actually nowhere near as professional or intelligible as you, no flattery intended.)
Honestly, I could use that information myself. xd
I usually wait till they get cheaper on marketplace.
As for charity? I like the idea. But....Something bothers me about simply giving them away. Juuuust a smidge. Id like to work w/you on more options if you dont mind. I promise not to take up your time. Seeing how youre always busy and all. Including your role as vice captain (?) of a clan (?). You know Stealthic, right? Anyway, thats not important.
One other thing is Im not good w/coming up with games, contests, and such. Heck, I havent ever done a quest for an item yet.
Please let me know if you can help me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 pm
DandyLionWine
jellykans

I do like the idea of a guide that introduces new folks to affordable items. If you do one on pets/companions, you might also consider including the more affordable I Am's, which usually do include one or more poses as a companion.

Although there is such a thing as too much information, for me when it comes to computers theres an exception w/a requirement. The requirement calls for clearness, iykwim.
Now, as for the affordable items part........Uhm, eheh. sweatdrop
Yes, that is a rather considerable (?) idea. Be that as it may, I am not as skilled as you are when it comes to leadership and information on gaia, marketplace, etc. (Actually nowhere near as professional or intelligible as you, no flattery intended.)
Honestly, I could use that information myself. xd
I usually wait till they get cheaper on marketplace.
As for charity? I like the idea. But....Something bothers me about simply giving them away. Juuuust a smidge. Id like to work w/you on more options if you dont mind. I promise not to take up your time. Seeing how youre always busy and all. Including your role as vice captain (?) of a clan (?). You know Stealthic, right? Anyway, thats not important.
One other thing is Im not good w/coming up with games, contests, and such. Heck, I havent ever done a quest for an item yet.
Please let me know if you can help me.

I've only been on Gaia about 6 months longer than you, I checked. ^^ And I haven't even considered opening a charity. I just started visiting contest threads and then charity threads about 10 days ago, and started in NSTG, where I felt safe learning. One thing I've found about Gaia - almost everyone has an area of expertise. Sometimes it happens that someone just learned something, so the steps and pitfalls are fresh, and they can be the best teachers. AND - almost everyone on Gaia has at least one detail wrong. But if you piece it together, together we can really do a good job.

I just set up my first Dream Avi and found two resource threads. I copied the info from tektek for thatavi and items and cost) and for a quest for Kitten Star. In way less than a month, I completed the avi - and I haven't made a quest thread yet, either. (I am questing Kitten Star in a charity where I intend to be a regular.) But I will do my first one in NSTG, it's a very good place to learn, ask questions, and ask for feedback.

I am going to pm you the names of some threads to look at for ideas. You might also want to sign up, or even ask if they would mind being linked into your thread as affiliates (people that you advertise). Up to you. Just decide where your boundaries are for 1) the charity and/or contest thread and 2) your personal quest.

There is a really nice "Contest" thread here in the NSTG Charities and Mini-shops Subforum. It's called 'Humble's House of Win' and Humble has been learning a lot and made some tweaks to a very good contest thread so that it would be sustainable (last and last). She can probably help you with some ideas there.

I can help you get donations to get started, but you must keep funding in mind and only set up contests with prizes that you know you will have. I would try to plan prizes for around 6 months ahead if you can, but maybe run the first contest as a one-time one, to see what works and how high participation is. I can help you get donations, but I am thinking maybe 100,000 to open. It might take a couple months. But maybe in the mean-time, you could raffle off 3 small companions, as a starter. I could fund those. And during that period, you could be shopping charity threads for donations and advice along with me. (I passes on mentoring, as I am already over-committed, but this would parallel what I am already doing.^^)

Give me a couple weeks to come up with a list of items to work from, and you collect some, too. Maybe items up to 20,000g, or some reasonable limit (30,000g?).

Does that sound like a plan? And don't be TOO impressed that I am a Vice Captain. I worked hard in the right place at the right time. ^^ (And if you are interested in a clan, or know someone who is, let me know, and I will send an invitation.) Actually, what it mostly means is that I am learning a lot right now, and also helping others who are learning. The more I learn, the easier it gets, but I am still fairly new to zOMG and have a laggy laptop, and two tutorials I need to do.

Yes, I know Stealthic. He just made a wonderful video for our clan, too! And, um, an you tell me what iykwim is? I never ran into it before. ^^ (I get to learn something too!)

I think one of the best things NSTG does is to encourage us to explore what we WANT to do. Gaia pretty much gives us the opportunities, and NSTG works like an 'incubator' or a 'test kitchen.' ^^  

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:08 am
I posted in Humble's thread and she responded:

Humble - if you are still on - I told DandyLionWine to talk to you about setting up a charity/contest thread. She and I may be working on hers together, to set it up. (I will be working on the resource guide part and trying to drum up donations.)
Bump 2

Humble - Sounds like a good plan...let me know what you and she want to do.

(And I started a list of items and have 2 small items to donate as gifts. And suspect you will want to have a mule account, to keep the donated gifts and golds separate from your own inventory and golds, so you might want to think about names for the mule and the Contest/Charity.)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:51 pm
jellykans

Humble - if you are still on - I told DandyLionWine to talk to you about setting up a charity/contest thread. She and I may be working on hers together, to set it up. (I will be working on the resource guide part and trying to drum up donations.)
Bump 2

(And I started a list of items and have 2 small items to donate as gifts. And suspect you will want to have a mule account, to keep the donated gifts and golds separate from your own inventory and golds, so you might want to think about names for the mule and the Contest/Charity.)

LOL! heart
my, you ARE definitely commited. and.........im still impressed that you are vice captain. your reply before this one awed me. O.O
i mean it. it did. it also made me feel waaaaay behind. but nevermind that. sweatdrop
that sounds like a great plan!
i did think about creating a quest where each item i receive i donate something to the unfortunate (i.e. orphans, homeless, storm victims etc.)
i wonder if that could be put into play in this subject......
nah! xp i dont think itll work anyhow. that sounds like a lot youre offering in terms of funding.^^'
you dont have to go to that extreme of a measure to help me out, honestly. i do appreciate it though. i truly am looking forward to working with you on this. i really appreciate your assistance. it may be way more than i bargained for.
one thing is for sure though. you know people more than i do. im more of a lone wolf so as to speak, eheh.^^'
that aspect of you i definitely could use. (i am in your clan btw.^^)
i would like you to know that you have officially become my idol. i will also refer to you as "sensei" if thats alright with you. mostly because of your passion to learn and ability to absorb all sorts of information. my brain is the most porous sponge i swear you will find yourself getting frustrated w/me often, i warn you.
thanks again for offering your assistance and for the advice and initiative youve taken to give me a head start. thats really sweet of you.  

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

GillaGrrl

Beloved Heckler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:30 am
DandyLionWine
jellykans

Bump 2

LOL! heart
my, you ARE definitely commited. and.........im still impressed that you are vice captain. your reply before this one awed me. O.O
i mean it. it did. it also made me feel waaaaay behind. but nevermind that. sweatdrop
i did think about creating a quest where each item i receive i donate something to the unfortunate (i.e. orphans, homeless, storm victims etc.)
nah! xp i dont think itll work anyhow. that sounds like a lot youre offering in terms of funding.^^'
you dont have to go to that extreme of a measure to help me out, honestly. i do appreciate it though. i truly am looking forward to working with you on this. i really appreciate your assistance. it may be way more than i bargained for.
one thing is for sure though. you know people more than i do. im more of a lone wolf so as to speak, eheh.^^'
i would like you to know that you have officially become my idol. i will also refer to you as "sensei" if thats alright with you. mostly because of your passion to learn and ability to absorb all sorts of information. my brain is the most porous sponge i swear you will find yourself getting frustrated w/me often, i warn you.
thanks again for offering your assistance and for the advice and initiative youve taken to give me a head start. thats really sweet of you.

I used to be a mod here wayyyyyy back in the day! Your plan sounds awesome you two! Let me know if there is anything specific you are looking for for donations/ ideas. I used to own the NSTG Lotto. The FIRST of that type of contest in the NSTG. I am great for ideas, and resources. Let me know when you are getting set up and I will come check it out. Shoot me a pm smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm
GillaGrrl
DandyLionWine
jellykans

Bump 2

LOL! heart

I used to be a mod here wayyyyyy back in the day! Your plan sounds awesome you two! Let me know if there is anything specific you are looking for for donations/ ideas. I used to own the NSTG Lotto. The FIRST of that type of contest in the NSTG. I am great for ideas, and resources. Let me know when you are getting set up and I will come check it out. Shoot me a pm smile

Alright! thanks! wink
i will come to you if there is anything i or we both need your assistance with. thanks for your cooperation. XD  

DandyLionWine

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items