Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Private Homes
The Rich Family Home Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm
Groomed for perfection, none shall stand before me and my ambitions.

James "Jack" Rich
Unsorted

The start of the young boy's journey is about to begin...
User Image
Darkness pressed all around the young boy, lost and alone in the forest. He still wasn't old enough for a wand, but it wouldn't have helped him anyway. Trees were reaching out like clawed hands looking for a meal, the creaking branches broke the still silence of the night. He ran, dodging left and right as hands were trying to grasp him from every direction. Lightning struck, blinding him as he toppled to the ground with the hands coming ever closer...

Jack woke with a start, covered in sweat. 'What a strange nightmare...' He tried to relax and calm his breathing, running his hands through his hair in an attempt to dry them off. That was the first nightmare that he could remember having since, well ever. Climbing out of bed, he checked the clock. Five minutes until seven, he beat his alarm again.

He turned it off, making sure it wouldn't go off when he was out of the room, and dressed with haste. He wore simple black robes, adorned with the family crest, along with his socks and shoes. It was about time for breakfast with his father, followed by an afternoon of studying in preparation for his time at Hogwarts. He finished Hogwarts: A History a long time ago, but still liked to make sure he wasn't forgetting little details that might be of use.

He gazed around his room for a moment, unimpressive to say the least. But sitting upon his desk, surrounded by various tomes of knowledge and schoolbooks was the one item he loved more than all he owned. His father gave it to him a couple weeks ago, a vintage Nimbus 2001. Even though it was forty years old, it was in nearly perfect condition and meticulously kept. Something his father explained to him was now his job, if he wanted it. He could remember the first time in the air, it was so freeing.

Shaking his head, he walked quietly from his room and down the stairs towards the kitchen to help his father prepare breakfast. He didn't actually do much, other than set the table by hand as his father got the meal ready. "Good morning, Father."

After making sure everything looked presentable, Jack took to petting Snow. Snow was his father's pet Kneazle, well only half-Kneazle but that was only semantics at this point. "Such a good kitty, Snow. You're always so pretty." He knew the cat was incredibly intelligent and loved to be complimented, which was why they actually got along in any sense. He stood then, and sat at the table awaiting his father.

Through isolation, I have gained clarity. Constant study has provided focus, I can see my goal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:12 pm
User Image
User Image

Alexander Evan Rich
Head of International Magical Office of Law

The early sun peeked over the rooftops of Dunstable and brightened the eastern windows with a morning glow. Alexander had been up for hours. An owl pecked at his window, as they were fond to do at all hours of the night, darkness still stretched across the misty grounds when he retrieved the letter and fed the screech owl. Correspondents and associates from all across Europe were always trying to curry favor for new laws and policies, today had been no exception. Conjuring a copy to file in his office, the original document was tucked away in his briefcase. Alexander busied the rest of his morning with the usual enchantments: first by refilling Snow’s food and water bowl, then a quick series of charms to clean the kitchen and begin breakfast. The pitter patter of footsteps up above caught his attention, and it was suddenly such a rush of realization that his young son would soon be going off to Hogwarts. It seemed like yesterday that he’d just discovered the news, that that one drunken mistake had led to a young bundle of joy, one that had been kept a secret from him, but not for long. And before Jack, the house had always quiet. Too quiet. And it would be again soon. He wasn’t prepared for this, not at all. But Jack was ready, excited, and rightfully so. So deep in thought, he almost didn’t hear the boy enter the room but it didn’t show as he said, ”Good morning.”

By the time the table had been set and the kneazle was purring contently, he was piling a full English breakfast on the table: a platter of bacon, fried eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, toast with butter, and baked beans. ”I do hope you have an appetite,” his voice was as cool and impassive as ever; rough leather face wrinkled into a perpetually dour expression. ”Only a few months left to go now,” he said matter of factly, ”have you put anymore consideration into which electives you’ll begin you’re third year? It’s never too early to prepare—wouldn’t want for you to decide too late on a career and not have the NEWT’s to apply, after all.” Alexander wasn’t oblivious, he knew his son had a fondness for wandlore and would likely pursue a career in wandmaking—and while it was respectable—it certainly was no Wizengamot Judge, like Alexander had always hoped. Still, he’d made the mistake of pushing too hard once and now his daughter was the bloody owner of a dueling range. How he let that happen, he’ll never even know, but it’s certainly better than her attempt at trying to get scouted to national quidditch team or becoming a competitive duelist. So he’s learned to count his blessings where he can find them. Jack had always shown more patience and stability where Annabelle had been stubborn and willful; Alexander had faith that his son would succeed where his daughter had failed.

[OOC: ]

Mephis Inferni

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:16 pm

James "Jack" Rich
Unsorted

User Image
Jack nodded at his father, looking at the plate piled high with delicious food. The young boy found it odd how his father, an amazing cook, was working at the Ministry. There was so much more to the world than just making money, but he'd never voice this aloud. He took a tentative first bite, chewing slowly and with dignity before swallowing, wiping his mouth, and finally smiling. "Thank you, Father. It is quite delicious, as always."

He laid his silverware upon the table, looking at his stern father. Always pressured, but never to the breaking point. He was as fine a father as many could hope for, but there were some drawbacks. His work at the Ministry kept him busy all day and most of the night as well, leaving him very little time to get out and enjoy himself. Not that he would, Jack suspected that his father was truly a workaholic and that it was a genetic trait in their family. Belle, who didn't exactly do what their father wanted, still strives for perfection much the same as Jack himself does.

"Of course I have, Father. Wandless magic, Wandlore, and Wizard Law." Pausing for a moment to take a small drink of his water, he continued, "I've also planned out for further electives, in Sixth Year I plan to take Animagus studies since you never know when that could come in handy. I also plan to take Legilimency and Occlumency for obvious reasons."

Eating a few more bites, he set down his eatery once more. "I'm very much considering the possibilities of my future. Thanks to the hard work that you've put in trying to raise me, as well as the work that I do every day," He paused, keeping his face collected and calm before continuing. "I'm not sure if there is anything in the Wizarding World that I cannot do if I so choose. As such, I plan on doing more than just my dream job as a wandmaker."

"As much as I've been studying, I've noticed a trend in the way that wandshops have been done throughout the ages. They're just that, shops filled with many different wands that may or may not ever be purchased. That's a horrible business model to go by, so much stock that may never be sold." Lifting his fork, he gestured it around like a wand. "High priority customers would always want the absolute best, as we know is true. So, why aren't there any custom wandmakers in the world? Stores like Ollivanders sell mainly to Hogwarts age children, and there are a few specialty shops that will put your wand in other items like canes or staves...but never have I heard of, in all my reading, a shop that reads the wizard coming in and makes them the best possible match. Imagine the wealthy families coming in to have their own, custom made wands. Charge a heavy fee, due the time it takes to make them as well as being an absolutely unique magical item."

He continued eating a bit more, knowing that he was rambling at that point. Before he forgot, he did add in one last thing for his father. "I do intend, as of now, to work for the Ministry one day. Being a wand crafter is my dream, but no one said it had to be my real job."

About that time, a tapping was heard on the window of the kitchen and a large barn owl stared at them. Jack rose quickly, stretched up as far as he could and unlocked the window. The owl gave a low hoot, sticking out its leg so that Jack could take the mail that arrived. Digging into the pocket of his robe, he threw a couple knuts into the pouch and waved goodbye to the carrier.

"Let's see...Daily Prophet for you Father...a couple of letters with your name...OH, IT CAME!" He shouted a little more loudly than he intended, having passed the rest of the mail to Alexander. "It's my acceptance letter!"

Reading over it, as well as the necessary supplies, he paused and looked to his father. "Father, would it be alright if I went to Hogsmeade to get my supplies? I rather miss Annabelle, I haven't seen her in so long." He then added, "I know you have so much to do with the Ministry, I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping me get my supplies."

Through isolation, I have gained clarity. Constant study has provided focus, I can see my goal.

Essy ze Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:29 pm
User Image
User Image
Alexander Evan Rich

Knife and fork cut diligently; slicing bacon and eggs into bite sized pieces, then spooned a small helping of each dish onto his toasted bread for one big bite of everything. Alexander always had a love for food, one of the small simple joys of life that he doesn’t mind taking the time for—especially meat—it’s what began his love for hunting and game shooting in the first place. Perhaps it’s time for Jack's first deer stalking trip? Maybe next summer, he mused thoughtfully. Best to start the young lad off with muggle creatures then work their way up to the magical. The compliment, though expected as it was, coupled with his curiosity of upcoming hunting seasons, had almost ghosted a smile on his face until it was hidden behind a mug of black coffee. Hot steam trailed in the air as he set down his mug and offered full attention. ”Quite ambitious,” he said, then leaned forward to rest his elbows on the table to steeple his fingers together, ”But, if I may, tackling both animagus and mind magic might be too much, you’ll stretch yourself thin—any wizard would. I’d suggest you choose one and devote all of yourself, not half of yourself.” Resuming his breakfast, he speared a chunk of fatty bacon to his fork. Pale green eyes drifted between his plate and utensils and his son’s discussion of the future. ”And I agree,” he paused to let it sink in, ”there is nothing you can’t do.”

Business structure and profit margins weren’t an unusual discussion at the table, though it was usually his own rambling of the world than his son; and this greatly amused him. Keen eyes sharpened with interest and Alexander nodded along to allow the boy a chance to speak his mind fully, and present all the facts before he decided to swoop in and counter. Perhaps he should be more supportive—it’s a lucrative and ambitious thought, if nothing else. ”While I see you have an astute understanding of business, I’m afraid you’ve overlooked one grievous fact, my boy. The wand chooses the wizard. And any wand specially crafted by a wizard for a wizard, will never be as strong or bonded as loyally as a wand who’s been specifically chosen. I’m afraid I don’t why, or if there’s even any truth to that saying—but I’m sure the wandmakers at Ollivander’s will know more than I, if you should ask them.”

In between sips of coffee and the mewling purr of Snow weaving between legs underneath the table, he nodded before adding, ”Perhaps you should consider Muggle Studies then? It’s become a common requirement for certain ministry jobs; obliviators, for example. Healing, of course, is another elective you might consider—especially for law enforcement, and most departments, really...” He drifted, the rasping at the window caught his attention and wrenched Jack out of his seat. ”Excuse yourself from the dinner table first, James,” he said, scolding him with the use of his first name. His face would’ve seemed sterner receiving the paper if it hadn’t been for the cry of joy and excitement, and then he knew before Jack ever even had to say—”OH, IT CAME!" Alexander couldn’t help but laugh (albeit, quietly.) Had he been that excited when he received his letter? Honestly, he couldn’t remember.

”Hm?” he interjected quickly, both brows stretching upward. ”Oh… To Hogsmeade? Now?” he paused, a slow sigh draining his lungs as a side reel of every possible thing that could go wrong suddenly flashed in his mind. ”Well, I suppose.” Alexander decided finally, then continued his breakfast but not before adding, ”But first, finish your food. Then you can use the floo.”

[OOC: Not sure if you know, but Animagi/Legili-Occlu are More-Than-Average traits that need to be requested, each character can only have one MTA (exceptions are for halfbreeds) and you have to be in the guild for six months before you can apply. BUT, each “guild year” is three months in real life, so by the time Jack is a second/third year, he can apply. He won’t be able to take the class until sixth year anyway, so it’s just a matter of earning a “Pending” spot before all of the slots fill up.]

Mephis Inferni

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am

James "Jack" Rich
Unsorted

User Image
Nodding with what his father had said about the wands, his face quirked into a grin. "Now that's the question of the day, isn't it Father? Does the wand truly pick its wizard or is that something Ollivander always said? What if there is more to the wand making process to attune a wand to an individual wizard?" His mind was really kicking into gear now, many years of study in both magical history, spellcraft, and wands were beginning to bear fruit. "In all of my reading, I've never once heard what would happen if you were to take a wizard's blood and put it into his wand as it was being created. What if that's the secret? Of course, I can't possibly be the only one to think of this..." he was killing his own excitement now, frowning again.

As his father held up the Daily Prophet, Jack honed in on the first page. He couldn't make it all out, but almost busted out laughing when he read something about exploding toilets in muggle households. Then Jack sobered himself, shaking his head. Making the toilets themselves explode was such a waste, why not charm the water in the bowl to shoot up anytime the lid was lifted? He pictured a muggle man walking into the bathroom half-asleep, lifting the bowl, and taking a torrent of water to the face. He almost laughed again, making a strangled sound before wiping the tears of held laughter from them.

He finished his food, making sure to do so at the same pace in which his father ate. It was considered rude to finish before another person during a meal, especially the head of the household. "Thank you for allowing me to visit Annabelle, Father. I'll be on my best behavior and make sure that I do our name proud." He paused, looking intently at his father. Something was bothering him, but Jack couldn't tell what it was. Alexander Rich was a tough man to read, even tougher to crack. "Was there anything you'd like for me to deliver to her while I'm heading over there? Like a message?"

OOC: I actually didn't know that, but I do now. Thank you biggrin

Essy ze Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 pm
User Image
User Image
Alexander Evan Rich

He shrugged and as he contemplated his son’s quandary, wrinkles in his brow creased with heavy shadows. ”Magic isn’t a science, Jack, sometimes it’s inexplicable and immeasurable, that being said, nothing in the world will ever be as memorable as bonding with your first wand. You’ll understand soon enough,” he said, thinking back to his own experience. It had taken six different wands before he found his; a flexible ten-inch walnut and dragon heartstring wand, it was warm to the touch where the others had been cold, and then, power—he could explain it as nothing else—swelled in his chest and his wand illuminated with flashing silver and purple sparks from the tip forming the shape of his family sigil. And he knew that would be his wand; it was meant for him. ”Blood?” he repeated the word, green eyes sharpening to thin slits, with a tight voice he declared, ”No.” Habit urged him to drink his coffee and drop the discussion, but he explained himself begrudgingly (if barely.) ”It’s dangerous and blood magic rarely produces the desired results.”

Straightening the creases of his newspaper conclusively, Alexander’s gaze shifted back and forth across the page as an idle hand continued to spear the eggs onto his fork and into his mouth. He scanned through a snippet of infestations of garden gnomes and the sudden increase of ashwinder house fires before he finally finished his meal. By then, he’d already refilled his mug with a quick repleo charm and was half way through his second cup of coffee by the time he said, ”I know you will, because failure is not an option for this family.” He must have repeated those words a thousand times at least. At the notion of sending his daughter a message, Alexander sighed silently and heavy lidded eyes rose to meet Jack for one final nod. ”Yes—give her my congratulations for her boyfriend’s sudden… good fortune. My mother would be proud.”

[OOC: ]

Mephis Inferni

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:21 pm

James "Jack" Rich
Unsorted

User Image
Rushing up the stairs, Jack quickly donned his muggle clothing. It consisted of a simple pair of dark blue trousers, a white button-up shirt, and a black traveling jacket. He brushed his teeth, combed his hair and hurried back down the stairs towards the main living room. Jack did everything he could to keep from tittering with excitement, grabbing a handful of the magical Floo Powder kept beside the family's fireplace. He stepped inside, cleared his throat with confidence in his eyes. "Blaze of Glory!"

Almost immediately, green flames coalesced around him. It pressed itself around his entire body, propelling him along through some magical journey. One day, he'd have to read more about how Floo travel actually worked. Thousands of fireplaces flicked past his gaze until he could see his destination, a rather popular dueling range in Hogsmeade.

Stepping out of the fireplace, he looked around quietly for a moment. "Belle? Big sister, you here?" But before she could answer, he spotted her and rushed up to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist, laughing with delight. "I've missed you!"

Essy ze Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:35 pm
To: Rich Family Home

Some time past dinner, there was a gentle pecking at the window as a massive, golden-brown Eagle Owl settled against the ledge of Alexander's office window. His large eyes stared into the room, awaiting the father of his owner to collect the first of two letters attached to its leg. It was about a week after they had left for Hogwarts and already the owl was busy. It was pleasant, perhaps he'd even get some treats for being so prompt! But he couldn't be complacent for once he got a return letter, he had to book it back to Hogsmeade for his second stop.

Mephis Inferni

Dear Father,

-----I decided that now would be an excellent time to write and let you know of the events of my schooling thus far. As I had figured, I've already went over the basics that were covered during my studies at home. The spells weren't too difficult, though getting used to my wand took a bit more time than I'd have liked. Oh, yes, I nearly forgot to mention that I was sorted into Slytherin. Though I think Aunty Montague might have already told you, since I waited a little bit before sending this letter. I've also made it on as a reserve Beater for the Slytherin House team, but don't worry...my studies always come first. I was hoping that you could mail my broom to me, these school brooms are dreadful. I should be home for Christmas, unless you get busy at work. Please let me know and I'll make other arrangements to compensate.

------------------------------- Love,
--------------------------------------- James P. Rich

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Private Homes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff