Characters: Unyezi, Liuhe
Timeline: Tail-end of the string of violent attacks during the Civil War, before the rebels started planning to end it.
Word Count: 1188

Liuhe had an awful lot on his mind, but with the danger the rebels presented to the entire royal family, he found himself unable to wander far. Bound so close to his home and the guards, he didn't feel like he could truly sort himself out. Yueyun was right, if they didn't do something, they would always been seen as the same as their father.. it had taken time, but Liuhe now knew he didn't want that. He wasn't his father, would never do something so atrocious as him. Despite the irony, though well aware of it, he found himself wondering how he might help the rebels take down the king.

There was only one place he could go without being noticed, supervised or in any immediate danger: the slave dens. There would be extra patrols going through that area.. but the number of lions loyal to the king was running low. Still, everybody considered the slaves a lesser threat- Liuhe included. He tried to look neither dejected not fearful as he made his way through to find a lion who might actually offer him some good insight.

Unyezi had been on his guard since the night that Icky had approached and asked him what to do about a murderous slave.. so far nothing had come, though he was sure he was being watched more carefully. Assuming he wasn't being watched carefully before, which was doubtful. With Nerit off taking care of some of the other slaves, Unyezi was alone when he saw the prince headed his way. It crossed his mind that Liuhe may have been sent to cause trouble, but he stood his ground. He wanted to believe Liuhe was good, Kimondo had said as much, but he had once thought Shangyue good.

It wasn't until Liuhe got close enough for Unyezi to see his eyes that he realized this wasn't going to be a fight. Liuhe noticed the tension in the elderly lion as he approached but he swallowed the frustration at the evidence that he was seen as an extension of his father.

"Good evening, Unyezi," he said politely, stopping a few feet away.

"Liuhe," Unyezi returned, taking a seat and noting how the younger lion refused to get comfortable, "What brings you here tonight?"

Liuhe glanced around them while Unyezi followed his gaze around before stepping closer, taking a seat and lowering his voice.

"I wanted to talk," he murmured, "I didn't know where else to start."

Their last meeting would have been hard for either to forget, especially considering what happened to Umepatwa. At the time, Liuhe had been obviously indifferent to the near confrontation with his half-brother.. and yet it was that brother, with the help of another, that changed his mind.

"Can you tell me about my grandparents?" Liuhe asked hesitantly, finding a relevant but more neutral topic when the elderly lion didn't say anything.

"Selene was a good lioness," Unyezi said, "She and Fuu were a good match, they would have done great things together."

"Fuu was a noble from the Tianxia, right?" Liuhe asked, "That's why our names sound so different. Do they know what happened?"

Unyezi gave Liuhe a hard look before answering.

"It's very likely that word has spread to them," he said, "Though I'm sure your father has gone out of his way to avoid direct contact with them again. The Lord and Lady of the West House are not likely to forgive the murder of their son, even by a grandson."

Liuhe stared at Unyezi thoughtfully, processing the information. His entire life, he had been told that sometimes, this was just how the throne passed from one ruler to another. It was one of a few logical ploys by his father to legitimize his path to becoming a king. If his great-grandparents were noble and unforgiving of Shangyue, that meant it wasn't as common, popular or acceptable as his father let on.

"Are the rebels going to ask them for help?" he asked, genuinely curious now that he knew they may indeed have a grudge.

"I don't know what the rebels will do," Unyezi answered sternly but honestly, making sure Liuhe (and any potential eavesdroppers) knew he wasn't involved, "I would guess not. They want to reclaim their pride themselves."

They still had Alizeti connecting them to the Tianxia, he might be willing to offer the help but nobody would ask.

Another question was on the tip of Liuhe's tongue but he held it in. Unyezi would not openly support either side, but of course he did not support the murderous king. His own children were starting to turn on him.

"When that happens," he said after a long pause, "What happens to us?"

It wasn't worded perfectly, but it touched on one question he had to ask. If not Unyezi, then himself. And Unyezi was not surprised to hear it.

"Unless he has a sudden change of heart, Shangyue will have to be killed to be stopped," Unyezi said, watching Liuhe carefully as he did, "If he's killed and you've done nothing, or survived fighting at his side, you may be lumped in with loyalists who are too dangerous to keep around. Exile is most likely, if Shangyue's brutality is truly what started this. If you plot with the rebels and the king is able to beat down the rebellion, he'll almost certainly kill you."

Liuhe scowled, though he had known the answer. It seemed silly to be speculating that his father might overpower the rebellion now, there were too many. He already wanted to kill them all, and if he succeeded he wouldn't have a pride left.

"If I don't support my father," he said, glaring down at Unyezi's feet, "If I take a stand and support the rebels, do I have any hope of protecting my brothers and sisters when this is over?"

Liuhe looked up, his fear and determination shining in his eyes. It caught Unyezi off guard, he had only thought the prince to be having doubts, not to have already decided.

"If anybody can help them, it's you," he answered, "Whether or not you succeed your father, you are the most visible of his legitimate children."

Liuhe sighed

"No, I didn't accept the truth at first," he murmured, glancing back up to meet Unyezi's gaze, "I refused to be swayed until someone else turned first. But neither of us can be visible participants and useful at the same time."

Liuhe knew he had missed his chance to truly be that brother and friend, but maybe he could still do something. And again, Unyezi was surprised.. but he didn't let it put him off.. he'd already made up his mind to take a chance on helping the prince.

"You only need the right people to know," he said, "That is something I can help you with."

Liuhe perked up.

"You can?

Unyezi nodded and pushed up to his feet, nodding for Liuhe to follow with him. The prince hesitated and then went with the elder lion, new questions springing into his mind as hope began to overtake his anxiety.

Fin.