Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 am
User Image

It was a hot, dry day that was typical of the on-going drought and Kuhasa was started to understand the impression he had made. If it was hard to find safe water, this was basically unbearable. Or so it seemed when there was something he could do. He wasn't afraid of crocodiles so he boldly marched right up to the nearest waterhole and dipped his paws right in before leaning down to drink.

He hadn't invited anybody along with him, he was still working on the social aspect of being in a pride, but he was expecting there would be someone who followed him. If he was eagerly seeking water, the others surely would be.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:48 am
IDAKA

The young lioness watched the older male as he went fearlessly to the water. She hadn't seen the events that had allowed him to claim the rank of Inselelo, but she had heard about it. In detail. In great detail that had probably been expanded upon repeatedly. In a pride that had a limited number of males, they did tend to be a topic for discussion.

"The water's safe then?" Idaka asked, not-so-subtly announcing her presence. She desperately wanted a drink for herself, given how dry it had been. She got what liquid she could when she could, but it never seemed to be enough.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:55 am
Kuhasa wasn't surprised when someone's voice suddenly broke through the silence, but he was surprised when he turned as saw that it was a younger lioness. Given the limited options, if he understood the recent history of the pride well enough.. it wasn't hard to guess who her father was. She bore just enough resemblance to Bangizwe that he could even have some confidence in guessing. Never mind that the other Umholi and Iselelo were more similar to each other and quite distinct from Bangizwe.

"Yep," he said, smiling at her and looking out over the shrunken waterhole, "You can see a couple crocodiles over there, but usually if you can see them, they're not much trouble."

It helped, too, that he recognized them. Zahif was his friend but he knew some others, and more importantly, they knew Zahif and wouldn't bother Kuhasa.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:03 am
Reddish brown eyes glanced over to the large reptiles lurking in the distance. She hadn't spotted them before, which was a stupid mistake and one that could very well see her dead if she wasn't careful. It was a good thing Kuhasa was here.

"I hear you know a lot about crocodiles," the adolescent replied, taking a few steps closer to the life-giving water. The male looked almost like a ghost in the sun-baked land, paler even than her father. Idaka, on the other paw, had inherited her mother's dark coloration. Someone had once joked that blood wouldn't show terribly well on their fur.

As a joke, it had fallen rather flat.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am
"Yep," he said with a grin, "That's me."

No point hiding it or being modest, it was clearly to his benefit to own it and play it up around here and he was completely fine with that. It was, in part, what had brought him here specifically. He hadn't had a chance to check in with Zahif in a while and he expected his friend was waiting to find out what the hell had happened.. but then he might not, either. The crocs across the water weren't likely to care one way or another, either, unless asked directly by Zahif.

"What's your name?" he asked.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:16 am
"Idaka," she answered. She didn't bother asking for his name, she already knew it. Gossip went through the pride fast. And if he hadn't figured that out yet, well, he would soon enough.

Her name meant "mud," and Idaka still longed to be able to play with it the way she had as a cub. But if drinking was no guarantee during a drought, playing in the mud was absolutely not going to happen. Not to mention she was no longer a cub, and therefore had responsibilities.

To cover her longing, the lioness finally came forward for a satisfying drink before looking back up at Kuhasa.

"I think it tastes sweeter, don't you?"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 am
"Nice to meet you, Idaka," he said, mentally filing the name away for later reference. It would take time and he doubted he would ever learn all of the names around here, the least he could do was try to keep track of those he actually did get a chance to talk to. He looked back out over the water and back again when she commented.

"Certainly more appreciated now than ever," he said. Being a rogue was so much more carefree, he missed that.. now he thought way too much about the water shortage, as they all did.

"I wonder how the desert lions stand it."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 am
"Perhaps they have an oasis that they keep from the rest of the world," Idaka suggested. She didn't know a lot about the lions of the desert, but she did understand that the desert was a large place and that if you didn't know where the water sources were, you could easily get lost and die without ever once coming near.

He was probably right now, that it was the scarcity of the water which made it taste better. Or maybe it had been long enough that she had forgotten what water was supposed to taste like. Not a pleasant thought.

"It almost seems like there's a god or some other force forcing this drought upon us," the lioness mused idly.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:37 am
Kuhasa pondered her suggestion that the desert lions had an oasis keeping them supplied. It ultimately didn't matter, they were close to the desert but still far enough away that it was no use to them. If the Firekin had a generous supply, it was safe.

"I hope not," he said suddenly when Idaka suggested there might be a god behind their misfortune. It was followed by a stifled grumble- words he knew better than to say out loud. If the pride was cursed, it was more than he was willing to deal with. He hadn't dug in well enough yet that he felt that compelled to sort out all their problems. It was hard to imagine that that time would come.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 am
"I don't really think that's the case," Idaka chided the male with a small smile. "I only said it seems that way." Sometimes bad things happened. Sometimes they even happened to good people, the way her mother told it. But that was life. Just like when the girls' brothers had to leave the pride because only a few males were permitted to stay.

It sucked, it hurt, but it was for the best. Especially right now, when it allowed the boys a chance to possibly escape the drought. Of course there was also the possibility that their bones would be found sometime in the course of the pride's travels.

Needless to say, Idaka wasn't doing very good at being optimistic today.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 am
His mind was already wandering over the information he had about the pride and if any gods were somehow involved at all but he came up with nothing-- and Idaka's clarification helped confirm when he found nothing hiding away in his memory. There was no reason for any such nonsense to be at play here.

"It's nice having something to blame, someone," he said, "But I personally prefer the idea that we can just wait it out. I'm not old enough to know, but I'm sure there have been worse droughts survived by weaker prides."

It was the right thing to say but also the right thing to believe, and he was happy to accept that. Unlike Idaka, Kuhasa was pretty good at putting himself into an optimistic state. More water would be nice right now, but it would come.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 am
"I suppose," the lioness replied, doubt clear in her voice. She was not and could never be the optimist Kuhasa apparently was, but she wasn't going to beat the point into the dust. And he was older than she, so presumably more experienced in the world.

Not to mention that he hadn't been born to the pride, so his experience was not nearly as limited as hers. Really, he wasn't the most reassuring lion when it came to the drought. Just with crocodiles.

"I guess duty calls," the adolescent concluded aloud with a sigh. "I should be going."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:58 am
Idaka's doubt was more encouraging than anything and he offered what he meant to be an encouraging smile. There wasn't any point in forcing the point or arguing with her, waiting was about all they could do unless they did decide to risk worsening the situation with another migration.

"It was nice chatting with you, Idaka," he said politely, offering a nod of farewell before turning back to the water. Kuhasa would stick around to keep an eye on the water to make sure it stayed safe, and hopefully more of the lionesses would approach and take advantage of it while he did. Perhaps this was the best way for him to actually meet more of the pride.

Fin  
[IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff