Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:40 pm
User Image

After what seemed like the best start to the best festival ever, Ukahada's entire world had been turned upside down on him. Though they had never been a real couple, Yinehi had always been there.. somewhere within reach, always someone to look forward to seeing at the next festival even when they reluctantly parted ways.. and now she was gone. She had run away from the pride and it was because of him. The only good thing about how he felt now was that it had made dealing with the Kanati family pretty easy, he couldn't even remember much of it now.

Galiha was the only one who had known about what was going to happen, it was going to be her job to help Tsine and the Wolf Clan deal with his sudden absence. Now she was the only one in his clan who knew what was wrong with him, and if he didn't cheer up that would change. Unfortunately, a broken heart was difficult to recover from. The Wolf Clan was hardly back on track after the festival but already he'd been isolating himself and neglecting his duties.

The clan was camped for the night and Ukahada was off on his own yet again, sulking.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm
User Image

It had taken some time, but Tsine had become adjusted to her new role. It had been nerve-wracking at first, and still could be sometimes. It wasn't in her nature to put herself forward, though it wasn't that she had lacked confidence or boldness. She just... had never figured herself for being in such a position. It had helped somewhat that her brother was the nvwati, her partner in leadership so to speak. They had worked well together, as their family wasn't one accustomed to inner strife.

But as the clan settled back into their traveling rhythm, leaving the festival behind, things were different. Right at first she hadn't been able to quite put a pawpad on it, but now that they were a few days out, the harmony of the clan clearly had a dissonance. Normally that might have been a situation more suited to her brother's guidance, but this time, that wasn't going to work. The hiccup in the peaceful flow of events was Ukahada himself.

The clan was settling in for the night when she went looking for him. It troubled her to not find him where she expected him; more evidence that something was wrong. She tracked him quietly and calmly, not revealing her growing concern to those she passed. She finally found him off a little ways from the edges of camp, turned away from the quieting bustle of their loved ones. Her whiskers spread in concern and her ears canted uncertainly back. She approached him slowly, letting him hear her coming before she finally called softly, "Brother?"  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 pm
Lost in his own little world, Ukahada didn't hear Tsine's approach but he heard her call to him, and the tone was unmistakable. He cringed inwardly, realizing too late that he should have put more effort into concealing his turmoil but still barely able to work up the energy to fight it. He looked over to his sister and offered the weakest of smiles.

"Tsine," he said, shaking himself off and straightening up a bit but not looking too convincing, "Everything OK?"

Briefly, he wondered if Galiha had tattled on him. He didn't actually know where the little bird had gotten to the last couple nights, and tattling was what she was good at.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm
She frowned slightly at his attempt at casualness. It wasn't like him to cover how he felt quite this much. Being the spiritual leader, he generally was one of the more personally honest lions in the clan. She moved close and sat next to him, searching his face for some clue.

"I was going to ask you that, actually," she replied, her gaze intent and clearly worried. "Something is wrong, and you aren't talking to me." It wasn't that she expected to be told about every nuance of his life, of course. They weren't that close. But usually they communicated well, especially when one or the other of them had a problem. That came with the positions they had been given, in fact. His pretense at normalcy jarred her concern up another notch.

"I want to help, Ukahada," she added quietly. "Tell me what's wrong?"  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm
Ukahada tensed when his sister came up and sat beside him. She was being so gentle and concerned and he felt a surge of guilt knowing he had almost abandoned her, that if everything had worked out.. she would have been dealing with the Wolf Clan by herself. Never mind that he might look ungrateful to his clan by being so upset about staying.. it didn't matter how seriously the entire pride treated marriage, how common it was for a male to change clans. He couldn't convince himself that his attitude would be considered anything but insulting to the Wolf Clan.

He really should have done a better job keeping himself together if he didn't want to talk about it.

"Tsine, I.."

He hesitated and looked down at his paws, trying to sort out where to start.

"I was going to get married at the festival this year," he said finally.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:31 pm
Tsine sat quietly for a bit, blinking in surprise and mulling over what he had admitted. And "admitted" was the right word, as it had come out as a sort of confession... as if it was something bad. She really shouldn't be surprised that he'd found someone to love. Wasn't she feeling wistful herself for that one male to come into her life that would treasure her forever? She glanced back over at him, for a moment feeling wistful for her own happiness. However, his expression was... well, the word that came to mind was "devastated", which was not what one would expect from such a statement.

Something clearly wasn't right. She swallowed and prepared herself for whatever might come next. Right now, she wasn't seeing him as their clan's nvwati. She saw and felt her own brother in knots over whatever came next. "What happened?" she asked quietly, dropping her own eyes to give him the space to tell her in his own time and way, waiting patiently for the story to unfold.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:45 pm
"She left."

The simple truth that had broken his heart and changed every plan he had ever made for the future. It hadn't been easy to get up the nerve to make the move, it couldn't have been easy for Yinehi either.. but she hadn't even given him a chance.

"Nobody knows where she went," he explained dully, "If they do, nobody told me. She said yes and then she ran away."

Anger was beginning to mix with the feelings of loss but it remained below the surface. Yinehi had made a huge decision for the both of them and they didn't even try to talk about it first. Of course she had reservations but he had reassurances for it, though now it was obvious they had been unsuccessful.

"I've never hated being nvwati before now," he confessed suddenly, glancing up at Tsine.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:56 pm
"She what?!" Tsine was so startled by this revelation that she stared at him in shock, jaw loose and eyes round. A jumble of thoughts tumbled around her mind as sthe struggled to grasp what he was telling her. She absorbed what he was telling her, and the first spark of emotion beyond concern flared up. Anger. How dare she. How dare this... this... hussy!... agree to marry her brother, and then just run off to who knew where to do who knew what...

She managed not to open her mouth, but the urge to say something or to ask something rose and fell in swift successions, leaving her mute as he struggled to this last confession. His words and their meaning sunk in, snuffing out her rising fury. She blinked slowly, realizing the implication, and she sucked a sudden and painful breath.

"Oh Uka," she murmured, reaching to wrap her paws around her brother impulsively. "I'm so sorry." The heartbreak in his voice, the agony and despair, completely undid her. She rubbed her cheek against his in an intimate sibling gesture of love. "That is why she left?" she asked softly, sitting back again but leaving no room between them now.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm
Ukahada leaned into his sister, surprised by the relief of having someone on his side. Of course he had spoken to some of the Kanati family while trying to figure out if Yinehi was just avoiding him or really had disappeared, and he had Galiha.. but it was different actually having his sister there with him. And she was probably the only one he could safely talk to since she was a clan leader, too.

"It's been a couple of years," he said, "But then grandma disappeared and I was all we had until you were trained. Then last year still didn't feel right but this year I was ready. I tried to tell her the Clan would be fine without me."

She either didn't believe him or didn't want to be the reason the Wolf Clan lost another leader, even if he was willing. It would have been a much more public problem, leaving behind his job and his clan, but he was sure it would have been easier than this.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," he added suddenly, "I didn't know what to say before I was sure, and we would have had the whole festival to figure it out. I guess that doesn't matter now."  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm
She listened quietly as he unfolded the tale, such as it was. It did seem achingly unfair to make males like her brother, serving their clan as leaders, to have to choose between their duty and their heart. She leaned to bump her forehead against him shoulder, ears folded in consternation. "You were right, about the clan, you know," she responded in muted but warm tones. "No one would begrudge you happiness, and it is the way of the clans after all." Not that it exactly made sense at times like this, but there wasn't much that could be said or done on that front.

She looked up into his eyes as he added his apology and explanation, once more listening sympathetically. "You have nothing to be sorry for," she responded resolutely. "You may have devoted yourself to the clan, but your heart is your own, brother. You owe no one an explanation until you were ready to do so." She suppressed a heavy sigh, heartsore for his despair. In a way, he had twice the amount to mourn. He'd been willing and ready to give up all he'd known in his home clan, had already bidden them all goodbye in his heart... she could tell. That unto itself had been hard enough, she was sure. But then to have that sacrifice thrown by the wayside because someone else opted to decide what he should or shouldn't do? And taking his hope, love, and future with him no less.

Her anger flared up again, but in a low simmer. At least if they'd married, it would have been his choice to make and stand by. There was joy and pride and self respect to be found in that choice. But this? All that had been stolen away by a know-it-all female who felt she was doing the right thing by sacrificing their feelings on the altar of duty. Tsine gritted her teeth against the resentment settling in her soul. "I am so sorry, Uka," she repeated, taking a slower breath to try and release the fierce defensiveness circling in her head.

In the silence that followed, she tried to get her brain to work on more than just reacting. What now? What was there for him? Her heart ached to think of him plodding along in his duties, his life in shambles. But what else could be done? She flexed her claws in vexation as she strove for something, anything constructive to say or do.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm
Ukahada smiled ever so slightly at her acknowledgement that the clan would indeed have been fine without him. Far from being a sign of his uselessness, he had always treated it as proof he had done well, that he and his sister had pulled the clan back out of the chaos and confusion caused by the loss of their great-grandmother and settled into a pleasant routine as a whole clan. He had brothers and uncles close enough to him to know how to help cover him when he left until a permanent solution could be found.. maybe he if he had explained that better to Yinehi, she wouldn't have run away.

"Thank you, Tsine," he said, "I'm sorry I worried you. I'm not going anywhere but I need time.."

How long would it take to move on? He wasn't sure.. but his heart definitely wasn't in the Wolf Clan at the moment. He wasn't going to be a very good nvwati for a while, he didn't think ever again.. but part of him knew it would pass eventually, it had to.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm
At the very least, time was something she could give him. She leaned up against him once again, burying her cheek into his mane. "We'll find a way to make things work, brother," she replied with a heavy and sympathetic heart. "You aren't alone in this, and never will be. That I promise." Her mind finally began working, considering who could step in for a time while he recovered and grew confident and strong again. There were options that could work, just as they would have worked if he'd gone to her clan. The clan would thrive and draw closer, becoming stronger yet for the trials it endured. No, it wasn't ideal, but such struggles could not defeat them. Not as a clan, and not as siblings. "We'll get through it together."  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

[IC] Ela'wadiyi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces