Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] The Hatching Grounds
The Future Is Here: Uridith's Clutching!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masterharper
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:39 am
The Future Is Here!

Welcome to Uridith's Clutching Thread! This is where we'll be introducing High Reaches newest clutch to the world. This is a special time for the Weyr, as baby dragons are always cause for a celebration.

ShinosBee and Nilah44 were kind enough to write up a clutching RP for your enjoyment. Beneath it we'll reveal the total size of the clutch, along with its theme, a few links of interest, and some other information.

Feel free to have your characters congratulate Lestenna and V'kenti, as well as Uridith and Takarath for a job well done!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:45 am
Uridith was an old enough gold to know when the time had come that she ought not leave the hatching sands for long at all. Her form had retained its grace as it had grown heavier, but Lestenna was all too ready to simply bring her food rather than let the gold chase it down herself. The first time clutching it had upset Uridith, though she knew better now. There was nothing her rider could do to help with the eggs themselves, so this was all that could be done. May as well indulge her dear rider. It was only for a day or two anyways. It was somewhat nice to be pampered as the weyr waited with bated breath for their next clutch to arrive, but Uridith had begun to prickle lately about it—a sure sign that it wouldn't be long now.

Lestenna, dear. She sent suddenly, making her rider jump from where she'd been reviewing old clutching records in a hall not to far away near the heart of the weyr. Takarath...though just a moment. The bronze she called for as well, though there was a subtle demand that he delay his arrival a little longer. She'd held off summoning either of them until she was nearly done anyway, and by the time Lestenna came jogging up across the heated sands to her gilded side, the work had been finished. The gold had sunk back into the sands, curled half around her clutch protectively, and only held in the snarl that approaching footsteps summoned at the knowledge that it was only her own bonded that made them.

A quick count was taken, though Uridith informed her rider of their number anyway, and it was with a shared satisfaction that the last was revealed. A glittering shell to match the mother's hide, and a swell of pride in their chests near to bursting.

Takarath. Bring yours, if you like...and come see what we've made.

Uridith’s warning was all the bronze pair required to get their butts in gear. They had known from all the signs that the gold would likely clutch soon but were unsure as to when. Now that it was time, V'kenti and Takarath waited anxiously. They had a small bit riding on this, if the clutch was good, their standing would likely rise...if bad...well, they didn't want to think about that. It wasn't just the standing in the weyr they were worried about, but also with Lestenna and Uridith. So when the gold finally called for him, the two took off eagerly and as quickly as they could. Taka flew with a speed that he knew he could only keep up a small amount, he only had to make it to the bowl after all. The landing was rough and quick as V'kenti slid off the bronze as he slowed slightly to allow his rider to do so. V'kenti wanted to make sure Takarath was there before him and even then, he'd keep his distance from the gold.

As Takarath took in the sight of Uridith, his eye whirled a bright blue, possibly the brightest they had been since impressing. He approached Uridith slowly as she curled protectively around the eggs, their eggs. Uridith… Was all he could say being at a loss for words. V'kenti got there just a few moments later and watched from the edge of the sands, a lopsided smile on his face. It was done, and they did well.

Uridith's eyes immediately bled from blue to red at the sound of a dragon almost crashing down into the bowl a bit too near to her eggs for her liking, but as Takarath poked his head through the stone archway into the hatching sands' cavern she relaxed, crooning as her eyes went blue again and she wrapped slightly less tensely around the clutch. V'kenti himself drew a somewhat longer look, her instincts to mind the eggs from the touches of any who might try to sneak in already in full effect, but he was Takarath's, and no threat to her babies. And when Lestenna crossed to join him and talk her attention went entirely back to the bronze who was creeping closer.

They are mine, and they are ours, and they will all be finding theirs soon enough. Look how many...! The clutch itself was a very respectable size, edging on almost alarmingly numerous, though records held that this was common enough at the start of a pass. Dragons seemed to know when more of their kind would be needed, and their bodies reacted accordingly. She nosed one, turning it in the sand, and then seemed to have to force herself to rise and sidle to one side, letting him inspect them. There was no reason he'd ever harm them, but still she watched intently, ready to nudge him away if she found his conduct unacceptable.

"Seems they get along well. Both with such mild temperaments. I'm hopeful for the yield, though a few more energetic, or battle-ready ones might do as well." Lestenna noted to V'kenti as she reached him. "Uridith never had a favorite before we left our old weyr. With results like these," She pointed with her chin to the clutch, eyes sliding intently over several of their shells. "Well. I might encourage her. I hope you don't mind." In the end, the dragon did decide, and she was sure V'kenti would comply. It was one of the things she'd come to quite like about the bronze rider.

Taka had backed off just a fraction as Uridith first turned her gaze upon him. Instinct was strong in Uri but she knew he meant no harm to her or the eggs. As she moved ever so slightly to allow him a better look, he hummed contentedly. Yes, these are ours. Is it difficult to let them leave with theirs? He'd never fathered a clutch before, he wasn't sure how he'd feel when the candidates came. He laid ever so carefully opposite of the gold though his head was at hers. A tender nudge towards one of the eggs before giving Uridith one as well. We did well.

V'kenti’s smile softened as Lestenna approached him. He nodded along in agreement. “I'm sure Taka would be thrilled with that knowledge though he'd do his best none the less. We wouldn't mind in the slightest. I know he has enjoyed his time with Uridith thus far.” Surprisingly, V'kenti hadn't minded the company of the gold rider either. They both tended to be business oriented which definitely helped V'kenti when he was a little socially awkward. “With the return of thread we should all hope for strong hatchlings. If they're anything like their parents, I'll have no doubt they will be.” He looked fondly upon Les for just a moment or so when he thought she wasn't looking. The feelings Taka had for Uri slightly increased his feelings in these few moments.

Together the two dragons' forms all but hid the clutch from their riders' sight, forming a sort of circle to protect them as they spoke with each other. It was a charming image, especially when the bronze ducked to turn one of the eggs. Uridith allowed his attentions with unending patience and good grace, and did not bother to readjust the egg he'd moved—she'd been a moment or two from shifting that one herself, and it'd do no harm to leave it as he'd put it. Her tail flicked to dust over his as he settled back to keep watch with her. Sometimes, yes. It is...complicated. She rumbled, the faintest hint of sad yellow tinging her eyes more to green than blue. They are mine, and I desire them to be mine until the moment they hatch. Then there comes fear—I love my Lestenna, and you your V'kenti. How sad to imagine a dragon that cannot find the one they love as much as we love ours...and when they are mine, my own hatchlings? By the time they choose it is all relief, and no sadness to lose them to theirs. The alternative is so much worse, sweet Takarath. In time we will be glad to see them go. But not now. Not yet. Now, they are ours, they are mine.

The gold's wing slid to hide a few of the eggs that were still tucked up against her side, though she let them peek out again in a few moments. There were none here to steal or harm her children, Lestenna reminded her from afar, and nothing to be gained by worrying. She was caught up in reassuring the gold enough that she missed the growing fondness in V'kenti's eyes, though she did glance his way in turn a moment or two later. "Of course, I can imagine no dragon better than my own, and nor I'd guess can you. The question now becomes which of the candidates will be worthy." Not that if they disagreed with any of the future choices being made aught could be done about it.

"I'm not sure yet, but down the line, when the Candidate master calls their lists to touch the eggs, it might help to have Takarath on hand. I can expect you to keep him calm, and he'll be well calmer than Uridith herself. Then again, with how close they seem to be of late, I'd worry her own stress would influence him." Already her mind was on the future, and more and more she'd found it easy to share her ponderings with V'kenti. He was quiet, and respectful, and dutiful. He'd not gossip against her. "Though we would of course respect the choice to decline." That did not mean that she did not fully anticipate the man's agreement to her offer.

Each of the boys were just as attentive to their partner as the other while still being aware of the entire situation. Takarath was glad that Uridith had allowed him the honor of being on the sands with her, especially for such a momentous occasion as his first clutch. I see. I understand what you mean and at the same time, I don't want to think on it as then I must consider all the possibilities. The bronze shook his head slightly, right now he would enjoy what they had because she was right of course, and they would hatch and leave the parents that now protected them from anything that might mean them harm.

“We will be here if you require us. I feel Taka might be a little antsy if he were separated and not allowed to at least watch. I agree, they seem to feed off each other's emotions lately but I think Takarath would be able to keep in control enough, especially with my help, to be of benefit. And, if I can be of use to you any, Lestenna, you only need to ask.” They were in this together for now after all. Until the eggs were hatched and impressed, but hopefully they'd be in it together even after, at least the bronze wished.

Uridith could certainly understand Takarath's feelings. It was so much more important to bring more hatchlings to the weyr...but also more frightening. The idea that they might see their own children struck down, forced between for good...no. It would not do to have such intense and negative feelings near the eggs. Turning her mind to happier thoughts, and shifting a number of eggs to sooth her raised irritation, she let some of her contentment feed over to Takarath, almost like giving him a reassuring hug. All we can do is to keep watch, and make sure they make it as far as the hatching day. It seemed so far away, and so near all at once.

"It isn't something that's always done...but we will see. Takarath has been a splendid help, and I thank you for allowing him to hunt for Uridith. She's inclined to want to do it herself up to the end, and...I know she could, but especially now I'd rather she not. He's been terribly devoted, and I cannot find any fault in that." She reached out to gently pat V'kenti on the back of his shoulder, turning to motion back out of the entrance to the sands. "We'll see how they do between now and then. I don't see a reason to exclude him, especially if it'll only upset him." Later it would surprise her somewhat, and leave her wondering how much of Uridith's feelings were bleeding over to her, to realize that she mentally assumed he'd want to go along with her, and to anticipate it. "We should probably let the weyrwoman, and the candidate master know. Things will move much faster now for all of us."

Takarath closed his eyes and took in the warmth of the sands and of Uridith’s closeness. He could only understand a fraction of her feelings as she had been through this before but he felt them none the less. Like the gold, he forced back any negative thoughts and feelings. Now was a time for happiness and he would do what he could to support Uridith during everything. I will be here to keep this watch with you. He knew he would likely be called away for any number of reasons as his presence was not required though if he had time, it would be spent on the sands if allowed.

“I understand. And he will likely continue to be as devoted even after, I think. Though, you're probably right. The two have had their time now, hopefully the pair will allow the candidate master and weyrwoman leave with all their digits…” He half joked, though it was entirely a logical concern. “I will remain out of the way until needed.” V'kenti assured as he knew what she said was true. The time between now and the hatching would likely be a blur but as long as it went smoothly that was all that mattered.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Masterharper
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 am
Introducing..... The Tarot Clutch!
Uridith x Takarath
22 Eggs (14 PC Eggs // 8 NPC Eggs)

User Image

The Moon Egg A medium sized shimmering rose colored mottled shell that evokes a sense of curiosity and excitement.

The Wheel of Fortune Egg This medium sized egg is leaning against the Moon Egg. It is a vibrant robin's egg blue with yellow spots. It seems to radiate amusement at those who are near.

The Fool Egg This small grey egg is turned on its side. It all but trembling with excitement.

The High Priestess Egg This medium lavender colored egg gives away very little to those who approach.

The Tower Egg This medium green egg is standing nearly straight up, and seems to be quietly vigilant.

The Emperor Egg This large, striped, yellow egg is full of challenge and all but dares you to approach.

The Star Egg This small orange egg is quietly leaned against the Sun, as if seeking comfort from the others occupant.

The Devil Egg This large, vibrant red egg is tucked away in the background, but do not be deceived. Its commanding aura will draw you near.

The Judgement Egg This small purple egg appears to be weighing those that approach. Are you worthy?

The Magician Egg This small, almost white egg gives off an air of confidence. Don't be afraid to approach.

The Sun Egg This large midnight blue egg is almost black near the bottom. It gives off the impression of an eager canine, aiming to please, and is tucked against the Star Egg.

The Empress Egg This large golden egg sits at the center of the clutch, as if presiding over the others.

The Death Egg This small, pale pink egg sits besides The Devil in the back. It has a friendly air about it.

The Heirophant Egg This leaf green egg is partially buried so its size is unknown. What part of it can be seen gives off a sense of peace and comfort.

~ ~ ~ ~

Now that this lovely clutch has been laid, what does this mean for you?

First and foremost, you can now sign your High Reaches Weyr Candidates up for possible Impression! If you'd like to give your Candidate or Candidats a shot at being matched with one of the above eggs, go to this sign-up thread! This thread will be open only for so long, so make sure you sign up early! Once it closes, while you can still make Candidates, you'll have to wait for another Hatching at High Reaches.
Candidate Sign Up!

Secondly, you may now do a little betting! Staff are not allowed to participate, given they know the color distribution of the clutch. Everyone else may have a go of getting their characters in on all the betting! Riders in particular are known to place some bets -- both on egg color distribution, as well as which Candidates they think will find their match!

Tarot Clutch Betting

Third, the clutching takes place about a month after the flight. (We do things quick here.) Please, don't rush to jump ahead. The Hatching is still a little while away, and we'll have a Touching before then! We just want to make sure everyone has time to RP at a leisurely pace.

[IC RP] The Hatching Grounds

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games