They had been in the valley about a week now, and Jacundi had a lot on his mind. The place was beautiful, really, with lush growth, open meadows, running water, and shadows and sunshine both in aplenty. He could easily see why Kalos had chosen this as his home. It was a veritable paradise, especially considering the wealth of prey he'd learned was in the area, thanks to the water provided by the swamp's tributaries.

For himself, that made it an easy choice. Kalos had come to him, as the nominal leader of their little refugee group, with a proposal. He had suggested, almost shyly for such a big lion, that they stay here with him and his adopted extended family. He'd pitched it that they could use the extra help in the valley, and that they in turn would help provide for and protect his little group of stragglers. It was a kind and quite fair proposal, and one that had touched Jacundi with it's sincerity. To stay here made complete and utter sense.

However, he had not given Kalos an answer just yet. Although the others might look to him for leadership, he had absolutely no right to make any decisions for them, especially without talking to them. So he had gone to each of them in turn. Vaalia had been quite amenable to staying, though she said it was only if someone else was staying too. Poor hyena, she wasn't made for standing alone. He had assured her that if she wanted to stay, he would stay with her, and she'd been quite happy and content at this news.

Kekkel had been more thoughtful about the idea, gazing across the valley from the ground-level cave they were still using as guests. "A good place it is," she mused. "Much potential, and good people." He had sat beside her silently, listening and not adding to her thought process. If she stayed, he wanted it to be because she liked it here, not because he'd cajoled her to. "This Kalos, wants us here does he?" He had nodded his head, giving a soft chuff of affirmation. "Then I will stay," she said decisively, sounding surprisingly sedate about it.

"You are staying?" she asked suddenly, giving him a sharp look, as if she'd forgotten he hadn't spoken for himself yet. He'd chuckled and assured her about the choices he and Vaalia had made. This further satisfied the leopardess, and she'd set off to explore the valley, seeking new treasures to replace the ones she'd discarded along the way. He'd known she had been doing so, but knew it was something she'd wanted to keep private. It would be good for her to find new things here to work with, to regain her creativeness not only in the new environment, but with the new environment. He'd already noticed many things here that Sikukuu had never had, and he hoped these little treasures would delight his best friend.

He had left Maji for last on purpose, though. He was concerned about her. She'd recovered quickly from their ordeal, of course... it seemed she never ceased to exceed the typical amount of energy and bounce of a normal creature, and this had applied to her recovery as well. She'd been up and about as if nothing had happened the very next day, racing around the valley to explore and spending time outside the valley hunting. He shook his head in wry amusement as he approached her most common sunning spot. It was high noon, with the warm sun beating down into the valley and heating the rocks until they sizzled if water dropped on them. Maybe it was her slender form not holding heat well, but she seemed to savor some time on those rocks.

Today was no different, he saw as he approached the rock pile. Her blue form was sprawled across a large, lumpy one, eyes closed. He paused for a moment to consider her from a distance. To the unfamiliar eye, her recent behavior was light-hearted and happy. Jacundi, however, could tell that she was putting on a good face, likely for their benefit. He wasn't sure exactly how she felt, nor why, but it was time to find out.

He scrambled up clumsily onto the rocks beside her. Climbing was definitely not the forte for a hyena. He managed it, however, as it wasn't very high, and settled himself beside her. She'd raised her head to see who was coming, but laid it back down again against the heated surface of the rock. He sat in companionable silence with her for a time before speaking quietly. "What's wrong, Maji?"

For a moment she did not answer. She heaved a soft breath and held her tongue for a time, mulling over the answer. She appreciated his comfortable silence, wise hyena that he was, giving her time to think and assemble what she wanted to say. "I want to be happy here," she finally confessed in a low voice, chin still against the rock. "It is beautiful, and perfect, and safe, and welcoming." In truth, it sort of reminded her of Sikukuu, where she'd grown up. It was peaceful, the people here were good, and yet... it felt confining somehow. The cliffs made her feel closed in, cut off from the world. The love she felt from her little group felt faintly smothering, even though they would never want that. She shifted restlessly, sitting up and canting her hind legs to one side with another sigh.

"I... wanted to stay with all of you until you could find a home, a place to rest and settle in." She almost felt ashamed to admit this, though there was no reason to. She had chosen a good thing, and choosing otherwise for herself wasn't a bad thing. Still, it felt as if she was somehow betraying them. She sank her teeth into her lower lip, eyes downcast and still not meeting Jacundi's.

To her surprise, the hyena beside her chuckled. "So you want to go roaming, is that it?" His voice was gentle and amused, startling her into looking up into his face, where she found not the disappointment and sadness she expected, but instead found laughter, love, and understanding. "Little Maji, you are a leotah, and have always tended to have the fleet restless paws of your cheetah mother." He leaned to lick her cheek affectionately. "I have been astounded at how patient and kind you have been, staying with us so long, even when I got us lost in the swamp." His loving, fatherly gaze nearly broke her heart with it's perceptiveness and acceptance. "If you need to go, you go! You know where to find us now, and we will eagerly look forward to your next visit. We would no more hold you captive here than we would physically tie you down. You are family, and we love you too much to expect you to make yourself miserable for our sakes. Go! Live your young life out in the wide world!"

Tears filled Maji's eyes as he spoke, and her heart swelled. It was too much to expect, and yet here it was before her... permission to go, run free, be happy. She could choose to let loose the ties binding her here and seek her own way in the world. "I promise I'll come back, Papa Jacundi," she answered him, causing him to beam at her with pleasure at the new nickname. "You are my family, and I love you all very much." She leapt to her paws and smothered him in affection. "I'm going to go tell the others goodbye. Will you thank Kalos for me for his invitation, though?" She cast him an anxious look, not wanting to spare the time to seek out their host, but chafing to be off and away already.

Jacundi smiled proudly at the young, quivering feline before him. "Of course I will. I'm certain he will welcome you back when you return, as much as any of us will. Now go, kiss your aunts and then... well, then be safe, little Maji." He smiled and she darted off towards their cave. Yes, this was home now. A place they could remain for the rest of their days, and a place where their families could come and find them. They were undeniably home.