Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [IC] Al-Siq Sayir Lands
[SRP] The State of Play (Spectre x Nyctimus)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Epine de Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 am
User ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am
Spectre had been an intimidating lion for Nyctimus to approach, even as a cub he'd found the prospect of the hulking lion to be quite frightening. However, as time had drawn on Nyctimus had come to appreciate that the large lion was quiet individual, often contemplative, and very rarely violent. He still wasn't quite used to the fact that the lion was liable to have outbursts if woken up suddenly from a sleep, or if he had been subject to the visions that he, even as a divine child, rarely experienced... But he would grow used to them eventually, or at least reach a point where he didn't jump everytime it happened.

Fortunately in recent months Spectre's visions had quietened, and this was in large part why they had all been taken by such surprise by the events that had occurred. Generally speaking it was Spectre's nightmares, that sense of impending doom, that rang out alarm bells loud and clear to the point that they couldn't be ignored. However on this occasion, they had been silent and it had come at significant cost. To say that Spectre had taken the news poorly was, in itself, a complete understatement.

Spectre was devastated.

That being said, Nyctimus had been fascinated by the manner in which the Collective carried themselves from a very young age. They took several hits and while most simply wouldn't get up after each of these assaults, they found their footing again. Sometimes they were slower than one would have prefered, but not a single one of them had ever surrendered and Spectre was demonstrating this now. Quite frankly, all those within Nyctimus's vicinity had proven their resolve. A shock of this magnitude had knocked a few noses out of joint but they had a job to do and it would be done.

...The life of the household continued as it always had, a little more muted before, but the work continued; and as for the Collective, they gathered to their Justicar's side to receive his orders. With the vast majority deployed, Spectre was one of the few who remained in place. He hadn't received his orders and this was for the simple reason that he was best deployed with a group, he was vulnerable while subject to his visions and they needed to have the capacity to protect him. However, if they had ever wanted to find an individual without having a trail, he was their only hope.

If they didn't have a trail, no one else would either.

"Spectre," Nyctimus finally spoke as he drew near the meditative lion; an individual who kept his eyes closed, but the ever so slight flick of his ear highlighted that he was most assuredly listening. Nyctimus could only assume that Spectre had been expecting him, more often than not Destati briefed his Collective on his initial plans long before they were finalised. While he had been satisfied with some of those plans and sent these lions on their way, Spectre had yet to have his settled. Now it seemed that the reason for this delay had simply been due to Nyctimus; the heir had no doubt that his father had fully intended for this to be one of his tasks (although it arguably wasn't the easiest). Suffice it to say that Destati had thrown him into the deep end and it was in his best interests to succeed.

"Nyctimus," Spectre replied at last, piercing blue eyes falling upon the heir. Nyctimus had yet to acquire the title of Justicar and as he was still very much in training, he wasn't entitled to it either. When he was ready to take over the mantle, then and only then, would he be fit for that rank. Fortunately Nyctimus wasn't really one for pomp and circumstance, something that had placed him in good standings with his father's collective already. They were loyal to Destati first and foremost, but slowly but surely he was earrning their respect to.

"We need to find my mother," he began. "My father doesn't think that she's dead yet," he added, taking note of Spectre's blank expression. "He believed that given the severity of our situation and the fact we were all caught on the back paw, the only real lead we can acquire is from you," he continued.

"A strategy that will come as a surprise to no one," Spectre hazarded a wry smile, not quite strained, but it was clear that he was upset at his inability to alert the group to the attack before it had occured. "Did he provide you with specifics, or am I to have the honour of being your companion on your first mission?"

"Not slow, are you?" The heir remarked, to which he received a chuckle.

"No, I would imagine that would end poorly for all of us," Spectre replied gently and nodded towards him. "If this is to be your first task then it is to you that I entrust myself," he lifted his paw and motioned towards him. "It is at this point that you will finalise your plans and brief all necessary parties," he added, providing Nyctimus with at least a small amount of guidance. Much to his surprise though, the young heir was simply shaking his head in regards to that specific piece of advice.

"What is it?" Spectre ask with a raised brow and just a touch of a drawl in his tone, something reserved only for the young it seemed.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news," Nyctimus murmured. "But I think on this particular occasion a plan isn't going to work."

"Oh?"

"Everyone has been operating off plans, all of you for generations have been singing from the same hymn sheets," Nyctimus shook his head. "To the point that everything is so perfectly planned out that every side is predictable." This was a caused for an arched brow from the elder lion, though he didn't seem inclined to interrupt or disagree.

"Then what did you have in mind?"

"We're going to take a leaf out of my mother's book," Nyctimus smiled fondly at the image of his exhuberant mother. Ever the optimist, she'd never really been a fan of 'plans' and like the wild growth she encouraged in the plants around her, she preferred to just see where things went.

"So there is no plan," Spectre knew his mother well enough, though there was no romance there. The bond they had once had was misguided and had been broken long before he was born.

"There is no plan," Nyctimus confirmed. "We're going to wing it, and we'll work it out as we go along," he cast his gaze towards Spectre and shrugged. "It worked pretty well for Tethys."

"He raised an army."

"And I will too," Nyctimus stated. "If I have to," he added and pursed his lips . "But I prefer strike teams where possible, a small number of skilled sappers can do immeasurable damage without any casualties."

"Arrogance and over confidence can be dangerous," Spectre warned.

"This isn't over-confidence," Nyctimus reassured him with smirked. "We're just changing the ruleset."

"Pardon?"

"We're playing by the rules of an Outlander now, not the Al-Siq," Nyctimus wagged his paw. "We'll see how things play out from there, if that sounds good to you."

"And if it doesn't work?" Spectre challenged.

"Then we take stock and consider our options from there," Nyctimus replied simply, an answer that was enough for the elder lion to nod his head in acceptance.

"Then you may take the lead, and we shall see where we find ourselves," Spectre agreed.

"No pressure, eh?" the younger male murmured finally, his confidence faltering as the bluster left him.

"None at all," Spectre replied smoothly and raised his brow once more. "You had best start as you mean to go on though."

"What?"

"Point me."

"Oh."

Words: 1313

Epine de Rose

[IC] Al-Siq Sayir Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items