Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands
[FIN] So I Hear You're New Here (Rive x Iki'renkli)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Rive?" the black lioness called out, hoping she was pronouncing the name correctly. She'd only met the white and blue lion once before, as he was formally welcomed to the Middle class. Still, she was looking forward to learning more about him as they Hunted.

His den was somewhere around here, or so Iki'renkli had been told. She didn't want to be too obnoxious to his neighbors, yelling around for a lion she barely knew.

Oh well. He was to be part of her Hunt group and so it was her job to find him and let him know where he needed to go.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:44 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Life since joining the lions of the moon had been somewhat of a whirlwind for the ex-king, but not one that he could find reason to complain about. He had been inducted as an average member, treated with respect if not reverence, and seemed to be finding his stride once more among a group. It could be an easy life for him here, he knew, if he could squash the small ache Alkaid's absence left behind.

Distantly, he heard his name, and his curiosity urged him to push himself up on to his paws without a second thought. There were few in the pride that knew his name or had reason to seek him out and, as his eyes landed upon the dark lioness, his curiosity gave way to knowing. He had made a point of remembering that face in particular.

"Iki'renkli, wasn't it?" He greeted as he grew close, dipping his head politely, "well met."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 pm
The lioness smiled, pleased that she'd been remembered. Frankly, she should be expected to know Rive more than he should know her. After all, despite the size of the class, it wasn't that many lions who joined from outside the pride each moon. It was unreasonable to expect the newcomers to learn the names of all their new peers, so this was a nice surprise.

"Yes! I'm glad you remembered me." Now, how to not sound awkward...

"I'm one of the pride's Hunt Leaders, and you've been assigned to my group. We're not going out today, but I thought it might help for us to chat a bit as I walk you through your duties and the Hunt rotations," Iki'renkli explained.

"Shall we?"  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:12 pm
Rive smiled as she mentioned she was glad, unsure what else to say but clearly pleased both with himself and the small bit of positive feedback he had earned from her.

"Absolutely," he answered, stepping forward so that she could lead him wherever she might be inclined. "I'm honestly rather glad to hear it, I find sitting still a bit too much after years wandering the rogue lands. Itchy paw syndrome and all."

A soft, tension-easing chuckle rumbled through his broad chest at his joke. New acquaintances always left the awkwardness hanging thick in the air but his time as a regent had helped him learn the ways to dispell it. A little.

"How many groups are there and how often do we each go out?" He had seen the size of the middle class for the most part but he had no idea how many lions there were in the pride and how many of those were committed to hunting. A rather lot, he suspected.  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm
"Well, as you can imagine, there's a lot of Hunters and Huntresses, which is necessary to feed a pride this size," Iki'renkli explained as they walked. "But, because there are so many of us, we don't have to go out every day. It's usually every three through five, depending on how many cubs we have at the moment."

The black lioness snorted in amusement as something occurred to her.

"Sometimes I can't even believe how many cubs there are around here. Why, even my sister showed up pregnant, right around the same time as the Queen! Not that we know who sired either of those litters..." The Hunt Leader shook her head with a crooked smile.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:45 am
Rive smiled as she answered him, listening attentively as she explained what appeared to be a cub boom in the pride - he, too, had seen that in the glory days of the Kizingo.

"Many cubs being born is the sign of a great pride, if you ask me. It means your lionesses feel safe and well cared for, there's no fear of starving or danger. Honestly, it makes me very glad to hear it even though I've never had cubs of my own." He shrugged at this, but his smile at least had not faltered and continued to remain even as he touched upon his sorest subject. "My pride saw such a boom once, it was a beautiful thing."

Though he did not elaborate or explain exactly what pride it was, he did correct himself: "Well, the pride I once belonged to."

Then, after a pause, "Are the herds close by to the pride still or have you started to travel farther for them yet? Forgive all my questions, I just know it's a precarious balance between growth and supply."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:51 am
"You're from another pride? That's very interesting," Iki'renkli replied politely, her tone managing to convey her utter lack of interest in anything beyond the Mwezi'Johari's borders. She focused on his questions as they pertained to duties.

"We travel near and far, depending on the day and the Hunt. It wouldn't do to be predictable." Another crooked smile and headshake as the Hunt Leader thought of her most unpredictable older sister. Her whole life, she'd never been able to figure out what Nyeusi would do next, but whatever the older lioness did, it was always the last think Iki ever expected.

She was thinking about her sister an awful lot today. Maybe it was to avoid feeling old because she now had younger siblings...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:00 am
"Yes," he admitted quietly, "it is a long and strange story to those that are not familiar with who we were. Perhaps we can save that for another time, a story for a long hunt?"

He was all too glad to move on to the concentration on the hunt and found himself still smiling and genuinely pleased at her allusion to disliking predictability.

"That is very wise," he admitted at last, laughing gently under his breath as he did so though it appeared to be a joke just for himself. He did sorely miss the unpredictable nature of those that had been born in the blessing of Muhali's lands. "Predictability has a way of making things boring, no? I've always been fond of a little.. peculiarity in my life."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am
"I don't know, aside from hunting, I think predictability is an asset. This pride has seen more than its fair share of upheavals, you may have heard," the Hunt Leader commented. "I mean, just look at my sister, Nyeusi!" She throw a paw out, gesturing roughly towards where said lioness might be right now.

"They tell me she was pretty normal growing up. But after Shangyue took over - remind me to tell you about that if you haven't heard - she just...snapped. Went totally insane. Started preaching about the Great Lion in a way not even the Priests do." Iki'renkli shook her head in awe and confusion.

"I'm still not sure how everything turned out so well for her. Or how and why she got pregnant."  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 am
Rive's smile dimmed as she took the moment to go on a mini rant about things he barely grasped at - Shangyue was a name he had heard a couple of times in passing and one he knew to associate with drama from context but not much else.

It was, however, the remark that someone was insane that really captured his interest. The Great Lion was a concept not entirely at odds with how his pride had once viewed the muses, though it seemed it was the only one the Mwezi recognized. To hear that there was a lioness preaching his word, greater even that priests, was very, very intriguing.

"What.. sort of things does she say about The Great Lion?" he asked, trying to dig for a little more information without drawing too much attention to why. Could it be that she spoke with the muse of the Mwezi? Could she understand his own heartache at having lost their voices?

Then, deeper, a part of him wondered if she could help him hear this one now.  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 am
"What? Oh, Nyeusi doesn't do that nearly as much any more as she used to," Iki explained. "When Shangyue was in charge, she would go around saying that the Great Lion had turned His back on the pride because of the damned murderer. Stuff like that. You know."

The Hunt Leader was so happy for an opportunity to rant about her crazy sister that it wasn't until after she'd given the basics that she wondered about Rive's interest in Nyeusi.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:22 am
A pensive look claimed Rive's features as she suggested that her sister, perhaps, did not speak so much to The Great Lion anymore. It made him wonder at why, though perhaps she had simply done his bidding and that was all there was to it now that things had settled. Muses were fickle, fickle things - and he was not apt to start speaking of it just yet.

"Well, I do hope that he has been happier now that you have a new queen, especially since she has cubs."

His smile returned, if a bit more strained than before, but his thoughts had locked the name clearly into his mind - Nyeusi. He didn't doubt that she would be easy to find when he had a moment to do so.  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 am
"Well, since no one knows the father of the Queen's cubs anymore than anyone knows the father of Nyeusi's cubs...you could say that. You could also say that it's more drama, although of a more beneficial sort than what Shangyue brought." Iki'renkli paused for a moment, then shook herself all over.

"But enough of that! I brought you out here to test your skills Rive, so that I know how to position you in my Hunt group. Now, let's see what you can do!"  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:35 am
Rive was content to let the conversation die - it was neither the time nor the place to get into the drama of the pride or the drama of his past but he would not forget. Alkaid was a wise lioness - no. Goddess, a muse as surely as any other. She had led him to this pride through complexities he was only just beginning to understand and despite everything that had happened between them, he still trusted her.

She wanted him here for a reason. He would find Iki'renkli's sister.

For now, he simply smiled and nodded at the hunt leader.

"Alright, enough chat, then!"

It was time to prove he was worth it.  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out