Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 pm
(Backlogged)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rive was stressed.

Alkaid had shown back up out of the blue and a huge part of the the hunter told him not to go back, not to look at her face again; the other part, the aching and wounded part, had his paws in motion before he had even been able to digest the summons. There was not a step her took towards her or now, away, that had made him an ounce less anxious. Every step away meant he was on his own now these three, beautiful, small cubs.

His bright blue eyes lifted from where he had deposited the third one back into place with his sisters, looking desperately toward the den area he was just beginning to see in the distance. He had managed to get them here, one by one and bit by bit, walking the same short distances three times each to make sure none were ever really out of his sight. How did females handle bigger litters than this? He sat, finally, and lay his big head down beside the mewling, wobbling white blobs so he could rest for a moment. This close to the dens meant they were safely within the borders and, at least, he could take just a moment to revel in how beautiful they were... even if he was absolutely on the verge of losing his mind.

In a few moments he would stand again and begin the second leg of his journey, traveling bit by bit, one by one, until he could tuck them all safely into his den - but then what did he do after that? There had to be someone, anyone at all, who could help him figure this dad thing out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Nyeusi had been out hunting, providing for the pride, when she saw an interesting sight. Rive, that somewhat infuriating lion who had a fixation on her for no good reason, going back and forth over a patch of ground. Then moving onto another patch closer to the pride. Curious, the dark lioness came closer.

"Oh!" Nyeusi exclaimed as she finally saw what the low-lying vegetation and gentle folds of earth had hidden before. Three small cubs which Rive was...oh dear. Maternal instincts he had none of.

"Rive...what are you doing?" the lioness asked in a resigned tone. After all, she knew what the answer was going to be.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 pm
The sound of Nyeusi's voice registered before her words sank in and he popped his head up so quickly, paranoid, that it made one of the little ones mewl in surprise. Whatever greeting was forming on the tip of his tongue as he ducked lower and nosed the little boy back towards his sisters, whispering an awkward, hesitant "shhh" at him gently.

"Nyeusi," he said at last, content that the boy was satiated, and pushed himself up to his feet so he could (a little shyly) meet her gaze. He felt like an adolescent fool caught red handed doing something he naught be but, his mind chimed, he was not a cub and these three little surprises were not wrong. Just new. And scary. And completely making him second guess everything about his own existence.

"I, uh.." how did he say a muse had brought them back to him? Remembering how little she had appreciated his quick explanation of his heretic beliefs before, he resigned to a half-truth. "A lioness I travelled with a while ago brought these.. to me."

After a pause, his ears dropped and his face seemed rather pleading.

"I really don't.. know what to do, Nyeusi. Please help."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm
The lioness wordlessly and pointedly looked from Rive to the cubs and back again. Words really weren't necessary sometimes and the fact that he was completely hopeless was obvious to anyone.

"You do realize this is why mothers tend to stay in the den for a time after the cubs are born? And that even those who travel all their lives wait a bit before forcing their children to walk all day?"

Considering that she'd spent all her life in the Mwezi'Johari and he hadn't, Rive really should know these things better than her.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm
"Yes, yes, yes," he repeated to her, stressing the words quietly and seemingly growing more unnerved and frantic with every syllable that dropped from her jowls. There were many things that Nyeusi was but he could not say that she was even remotely comforting in that moment, at least not towards him. "It's not like I asked her to bring them here, Nyeusi, she just.. can't keep them. I guess."

He frowned and pushed himself at last to his feet then ducked his head in what he hoped was groveling enough to prove to her that he was willing to do whatever she needed him to.

"So can you please just help me get them somewhere safe? I have never worried so much over something in my entire life."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm
"They're cubs. They're going to do more damage to themselves than you will moving them," the Huntress pointed out with a sigh as she bent down to grab one and deposited it on its father's back before picking up a second to carry herself. Likely the cub would think it the highlight of the day, to ride the big furry thing it might or might not recognize as a parent.

Nyeusi gestured impatiently for Rive to grab the last cub and lead the way. She was not standing around with a cub in her mouth forever, after all. She was done with that part of it.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm
A moment of panic caught Rive as she settled a cub squarely across his back. Every muscle went stiff, certain the poor thing was going to tumble and fall, until he felt it (he had not seen which one) curl close and steady itself beneath the dip of his shoulder blades.

"Thank you," he mumbled, before leaning down and grabbing his palest daughter (what a thought) by her scruff and heading at a beeline for the direction of his den within the lands. Each step was a little more sure than the last, a little less hesitant, until he was nearly at a regular pace even with the cub strung across his back. He couldn't say anything to her but he did shoot Nyeusi an appreciative glance over the top of the pale girl's puffy head.

In what seemed like no time at all now that he could walk without retracing his steps two times over, he was at the entrance of his den space. Relief swept him and he settled his daughter down atop the dusty stone, safe and home at last. Very carefully, he settled to his belly and let the cub stretched across his back down - which he chose to do by tumbling, headfirst, down his father's pale side and landing with a plop against his sister. Rive's breath caught with panic at the sight but the cubs simply cooed at each other, amused.

"I'm not cut out for this," he mumbled, "do you ever stop worrying this much?"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm
Nyeusi dropped the cub in her mouth a few claw widths above the ground, which seemed to delight the small creature, even causing a smile to show on the adult's face as she watched the cubs indulgently.

"You learn pretty quickly that they're a lot hardier than you thought," she answered. "They'll hurt themselves, and then get up and keep doing it because it's fun and it doesn't hurt that much. You get used to it."

Nyeusi didn't answer the question about worry. She had complete faith in the Great Lion and his children, but that was not something to discuss with anyone else. Not even said children, near-adults though they might be.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:49 pm
Rive was convinced she was actually trying to give him a heart attack as she dropped the cub, nonchalantly, higher than he ever would have dared. He started, but the pale girl only fell with a delighted squeal.

Right, hardier than he thought.

Almost as if he were a pupil learning from his teacher, he nodded and forced a sigh out of his lungs in some attempt to relax. He was sure he wouldn't, especially once they realized their mother was not coming back from wherever she had gone again. It made his heart ache, suddenly, as he realized they wouldn't know her and couldn't ever know what she was. He must have realized how sad his face looked, suddenly, because he offered Nyeusi the best smile he could muster in the wake of, well, everything right then.

"Thank you. I'm sorry, in advance, if I bother you with a thousand questions. You're the only mother I know and your cubs seem like they're doing pretty okay, so.."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm
"Rive, I cannot possibly be the only mother you know. You don't hide in your den from all comers and there are cubs al over this pride," the lioness retorted with devastating logic. Oh sure, she was amused by his supposed helplessness...but Nyeusi only had so much patience for excuses.

Nor did she really wish to be Rive's first recourse for any and every difficulty a parent has. She still hadn't forgiven him for waking her up when he first sought her out...though he'd certainly learn enough to understand why quite soon.

Yes, the lion had a great deal to learn from being a father.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm
"Well, I probably know them but I don't.. know them well?"

Here he was again, stuttering through Nyeusi's blunt attitude. He let his ears lower a little and sighed, choosing to give up with her while he was ahead this time. It was enough of a hint that she was not going to be available at his every whim and he could not expect her to. These were obviously his own doing.

"I'll figure it out," he mumbled, slowly lowering his head down so he could stare at them from eye level, much as he had been doing when she first stumbled upon him. "He would only give me what I could handle, right?"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm
Nyeusi had enough tact to not point out that if Rive had only pursued friendships half as intently as he had with her, he'd have plenty of resources to ask his many questions of. It was hard though. And she still wasn't certain what she thought of how he treated her devotion to the Great Lion. Sure, most of the lions in the Mwezi'Johari weren't particularly religious - might even be agnostic - but it could be a sensitive subject even now.

Now she opted to be somewhat cruel.

"Oh, that is what people pray for. But, it doesn't work out that way for everyone. Just look at what happened with Shangyue." A smile crossed her lips and Nyeusi backed up towards the den entrance.

"But then again, the kin-killer had the Great Lion's full attention."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 pm
If he had not been so pale, he would have blanched. As it were, he simply avoided looking at her as she began backing away, digesting what she had to say about the lion he knew had caused quite a few problems for the lions of the Mwezi Johari.

Though he had sought her out because he thought, at first, she might know how to speak to the muses he found that he still kept his devotion to her because she constantly forced him to question his own beliefs. Was the Great Lion a muse or were the muses all part of the Great Lion? Did he test his pride because he loved them or were things more a part of their control?

He picked his head up and nosed one of his daughters back closer to her siblings, then settled it down a good.

"Thank you, Nyeusi," it was pointedly dismissive of her sharp nature, he knew he couldn't withstand it today, "have a good night."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 pm
"Sleep well, if you can," the lioness threw over her shoulder as she finally turned her back to exit the den. She felt better, petty though it might be. Perhaps once Rive had thoroughly become a parent and learned as all new parents must, things would change between them.

But for now, she was highly entertained. Maybe she'd been cruel, but Rive could handle it. Just as he'd soon learn how very durable small children could be.

Yes, the Great Lion had arranged things well. She had no doubt He'd planned for all of this and more.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces