User Image User Image
“I’ve seen you before.” Nayu looked up from where she’d been pondering the young ones who had been born in the moons since the last Sky Festival. The sandy lioness looked up and golden eyes met red, owned by a black-maned male.

“Ah...you have? Have we met?” The male shook his head, then smiled softly as he sat.

“Not until now. I’ve seen you in my visions, my dreams.” Nayu eyed him warily, and the male suddenly looked awkward. “O-oh! Not like that! I mean, I’m destined for someone else! I just...I get visions of the future sometimes. Little flashes of things. And I saw you. You’re really distinctive. But I didn’t see you here. I mean, it’s easy to know you’re from here, with your tattoos and everything. But I saw you somewhere else. Somewhere...glittering and full of potential. By the sea.” She listened to him babble, and couldn’t help but giggle at him.

“You can calm down. I know the kind of visions you speak of. Not myself, but I’ve heard creatures talk of them. Mother has painted creatures dreaming them!” She smiled up at him, nudging his shoulder. “Come! It’s the festival! Let’s walk and talk!” She stood and motioned for him to follow her. “I’m Nayu Galvquodi! And you?” He followed after her, still a little nervous.

“Hadar. Just Hadar. I joined several seasons ago.” Nayu nodded.

“You’ll find no judgement for being born outside from me! Mother and Father both were born in the outside world. What’s it like? They’ve been here since before I was born, so their stories are outdated, I think. And Amequohi is just...no help. She thinks I shouldn’t worry about it.” She rolled her eyes, and Hadar chuckled.

“Family?” There was a beat of wings and suddenly Nayu stopped again. A large hawk found purchase on the leather stretched across her back and looked to Hadar.

“You could call me that. I keep her too-curious nose out of beehives.” The hawk steadied herself as Nayu huffed.

“I stuck my nose in a beehive once! ONCE! I was a little cub!” The hawk’s laugh was almost barking, a sharp, raspy sound.

“And you find many other things to stick it in, curious little lioness!” Hadar chuckled again, nudging Nayu’s shoulder.

“I’ll tell you tales. I can even share a story about my mother! She’s a warrior born to a trickster, and was part of a war that never got off the ground!” Nayu’s ears perked, and Amequohi’s golden eyes rolled.

“That sounds exciting! Tell, tell!” The male’s smile grew and her nodded, motioning for them to continue walking once more.

“You see, my mother and her siblings were born in a place known as the Pridelands. Their mother, my grandmother, was a trickster who sought to keep creatures on their toes and danger outside the pride. Well, my mother herself was a warrior among tricksters, sharp of claw and eye, with a mind for strategy and battle. Eventually, she left home because there was no need for warriors in the Pridelands. She came across a blind lioness with a gift for words who told her of a god who sought to rescue his mate from the god of Hate. Her ratel companion said they were trying to build the injured god an army.” Nayu listened, enthralled while still making sure she didn’t walk into anything. Even Amequohi looked to him curiously.

“What was this god in charge of? Especially if he was looking to go against Hate.” Hadar grinned.

“Leadership. You see, his mate was mortal, and had been cubnapped by Hate. My mother agreed, of course. But she was one of only a handful who agreed to fight by the god’s side. By the time the god had healed enough to take on Hate with what few the blind lioness and my mother could gather, Hate was no longer where he had been, and there was no trace of his mate. The god was heartbroken, and my mother stuck around long enough to try helping look for any sign of them. When there was no trace to be found, the god dismissed the force he’d gathered. For a time, my mother stayed in the pride the blind lioness was from, helping to protect innocents so there would not be a repeat of the god’s mate. But after a time, the pride fell apart and she found her way back home. My sibs and I were born by then, and my visions led me here while the others followed mother or their own paths.” Nayu frowned, tail lashing behind her.

“That’s horrible! What happened to that god and his mate! I...I hope she got away. Since there was no trace of her at all.” Hadar smiled sadly and nodded.

“I hope so, too. I hope she and the god found each other again, or that they each found happiness where they are. No one deserves that kind of fate.” The lioness stopped suddenly, earning a squawk from the hawk on her back.

“I want to find out! Do you know what she looked like? Or her name?” Hadar looked at her in surprise, shaking his head.

“I...I do not, no. You would need to talk to the god or the blind lioness. And I don’t know where they are.” Nayu made a noise of exasperation, which earned her Hadar’s oversized paw in her face. “I don’t, but my mother might. You can find her in the Pridelands. I can give you directions from here.” She made a noise of annoyance as she tried to get his paw out of her face.

“Well, what are we waiting for then? Ah! I should tell my parents I’m leaving. And...hmmm…” Amequohi sighed and shook her head.

“I’ll be going with you, you overeager cub. And I’ll make sure you can stay in touch with your family.” Nayu turned her head enough for the hawk to see the grateful smile on her muzzle.

“Thank you. I...I need to do this. I just don’t feel right leaving that story on a cliffhanger!” Hadar nodded.

“I’ll come with you. To talk to them. Since it’s my story that’s got you wanting to leave.” His sandy companion turned the appreciative smile on him, then motioned for him to follow in a new direction. There was much to do.