User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He had been sitting there for a while, just staring out at the Star Pools with the frowning face of someone very deep in thought. It was a look that few rarely ever saw on the Kiongozi, but then, he had been rather scarce around the usual pride haunts. Had any of them actually seen him recently, they would have seen him wear this look far too often of late.

He had a reason for his scarceness though.... and while his thoughts had settled on a decision, he was now faced with proposing it to his pride mates. Granted, he was willing to bet that most would be open to the idea, but there would be some who were wary of allowing themselves to become more known to the world. They had remained relatively in the shadows of the jungle up until now.

Atreyu was set on his decision though. Their pride could only grow so far if they kept themselves hidden, and the chance to gain allies on the outside... it opened a world of opportunities. And okay, he was also just intrigued at the tales both the newly joined rogues and their merchants came back with; of foreign prides and different lands. Not to say he would ever leave, of course, but he would love to learn more of them, and perhaps by branching out, they might find themselves with more protection than they thought.

The lion hummed at that thought as he stretched himself out across the lush grass and moss he’d settled on.

”You have the look of someone who has been thinking for far too long.”

Atreyu’s ears flicked up at the words, though he didn’t turn around. Instead, he simply smiled, “Sometimes that time is needed to really make up your mind.”

Aurra raised an eyebrow at him, before steadily, quietly, making her way closer until she was standing beside the lying form. Keeping secrets? That wasn’t too out of the norm for him, but this particular one had clearly been taking up his time. She was curious and trepidatious of whatever could be vexing him so... and maybe a little bit jealous that he hadn’t been poking fun at her lately. It was a typical past time of his, but for all that she griped about it, she did secretly enjoy the attention.

Sitting down, the lioness looked out at the falls as well, the clear night making the water glimmer under the moonlight. With how much it rained, it was rare to see the falls in such a way. She would have liked to enjoy it fully, but until her curiosity had been sated, that wasn’t like to happen.

So instead, she turned her gaze over to him, “And what is it that? To think so hard that you won’t even give your dear mate any attention...” She clucked her tongue, head raised high in a haughty manner, “It had better be good.”

He let out a barking laugh at her words, turning to butt his head against her neck, “I would have thought you’d be happy for the break. Are you saying you like my teasing?”

The determined silence that followed only made him chuckle again. Of course she wouldn’t admit to it outright - Aurra was nothing if not prideful. Still, he had known her since they were cubs. She couldn’t fool him.

He let the conversation drop though, knowing that what she was really fishing for was answers. The constant hovering around the borders, the strange request he’d made of one of the merchants, the influx of rogues joining their pride.... Aurra was a smart one, could have easily been her faction’s Shauri if she hadn’t already been mated to him; there was no way she hadn’t taken notice of it all. And he should have known that she’d come poking around sooner or later.

... No point beating around the bush now.

The male collected his thoughts for a moment, and then spoke, “It’s time the pride branched out.”

Silence, then, “... what?” Aurra turned wide eyes at him, but the incredulous remark died at the very serious look on his face. Instead, her face melted into a calculating look.

“We’ve been cut off from others for so long. Are you sure?”

”I wouldn’t have, as you put it, been thinking about it ‘far too long’ if I wasn’t absolutely positive that it is the right step to take.” He sighed, looking up at the night sky, “We’re becoming stifled and stale by laying low like this, and with so many cultures, so many people out there - we could learn more. We could grow so much from it! And it’s not as if anyone here would truly be against it. Our merchants and trappers go out all the time. Why not begin trade routes, build alliances, show what our pride is truly made of?”

Black eyes slid over to look at the sour face beside him, “Even you cannot say that it wouldn’t be within our best interest. For as much as you prefer your privacy, you know it’s a good tactic for the future.”

She gave him a flat look back, indignant that he’d made up her mind for her, but.... He was right. Having alliances outside the pride was a good idea, both for security, knowledge and goods, but it also had the possibility of backfiring. It gave the opportunity for unsavory people to enter their land, steal their Kipenzi and young.

But their blood was starting to get thin. They needed new blood to continue their lines, new Kipenzi to raise and train.

Aurra grimaced and shook her head, “A lot of things could go wrong.”

”Ah,” He said airily, “but things could go wrong regardless. Who’s to say it isn’t already?” Atreyu had considered all the different ways it might backfire, but he had also thought of the ways it would help. He was ready to take that chance.

“I’m planning on bringing this up with the rest of the pride soon. When I do, will you support me?”

It was asked with a bare, open look back at her, and Aurra could do nothing but sigh. “Do you really have to ask? Of course I will, and if it comes crashing down on you, I’ll be there too to pick you back up.”

The answer was so abrupt, so Aurra, that Atreyu couldn’t help but bust out in laughter once more. Oh, he was glad he had chosen her as his one and only. “Always there to stand beside me, huh?” He leaned down and nuzzled her.

”Yes,” she sniffed, “and you should know that.”

Aurra chuffed and leaned over to rest her head against his mane, “Now, I want to enjoy the view, so if you’re quite done being dramatic, we can cuddle while we do so.” It wasn’t a question; it was a demand. He was done thinking about his problem, and so now he needed to make up for lost time.

Atreyu smiled and curled his tail around her, “As you wish, m’lady.”