Awiki x Kanene

User ImageUser Image

The savannah was far, far behind her now.

Here, the earth was hard, uneven, and cold. Chills that ran through Awiki’s body also made her stomach turn, in a weird looping of nervous energy. It was a vicious cycle where she wanted to hurl and turn tail all at once. It was miserable.

Every step was a reminder: At her back was a home, ahead of her a mystery. The choice to leave comforts behind in favor of new experiences weighed heavily upon her, even after all these weeks. She would likely never see the Bonelands again, nor the savannah itself depending on how hard this 'healing' business was. Arguably, this was the most difficult choice she had ever faced.

But no one would miss her back there. Not anymore. And honestly, it had almost been easier to leave than it was to stay. With Nombuso gone, lost to the inevitable darkness, the roots were severed.

---

Nombuso had possessed the grace of a rhinoceros when handling naivety, but she had accepted Awiki without question. And that had been the start. It was under the older lionesses charge that Awiki learned all about the Boneland’s; and in a lot of ways herself. Nombuso was not an affectionate creature, not by any stretch of the imagination but she had a way about her that earned her the affections of others. Even if Nombuso never said so herself, she loved Awiki. And Awiki came to love her as well. Like a mother.

So when Nombuso passed, with her went Awiki's the desire to stay. That had been the driving force, and Nombuso's legacy the courage she needed to set sail.

---

But fear had a way of challenging one's resolve. Like a test. "Do you really want this?"

It was strange being so far from the Ithambo’hibathi territory. The thought struck her frequently. It felt wrong. Nombuso would argue that a decision made should be stuck with… but Nombuso was strong and stubborn. Awiki was neither. Or at least she didn’t feel like she was. Not now. Not when all she wanted was to feel comfortable and safe. She felt the farthest one could be from strong.

---

The path she walked had yet to be defined, and that made her feel lost in so many ways. But her feet would not stop moving. They created greater distances between herself and the Bonelands as if by auto-pilot. She didn’t know what she wanted out of this nor had she fully considered the consequences of her actions but here she was. Stepping out into the great unknown. Boldly. Bravely.

Terrified of being alone.

A few steps more and she’d be unable to keep down the puke that had pooled at the back of her throat.

---

Falling somewhere in between hating solitude and fearing connection was Kanene. And for the seer-born, a gift. A headache always on the horizon, threatening to seize up and cripple him without warning. A memory, or was it a vision, blurring the lines between this life and the next. Or another?

The headaches made him irritable. And irritability made him want for the quiet of isolation. But the visions. Those were curious.

---

Kanene walked the world without direction. A drifter, a leaf on the wind. Two years of his life spent wandering and quaking, driven nearly mad by the weight of Mwokoti's blood. As it flowed within him, building up in the skull like road blocks, he was reminded of his connection to them. As if they were speaking through the splitting pain, providing a false sense of comfort.

Or maybe he was actually going crazy.

---

He had no control over his experiences. He had never once consented to any of it, nor the costs. The God's did not care for permissions, did they? But... neither did parents. And as much as he wanted to hate it all, he couldn't.

Without Mwokoti, where else would he be?

---

Bright, red eyes were kept in a nearly perpetual squint, but through them Kanene gave a survey of the land. Where he had roamed to this time was familiar, in that it was a jungle. A jungle like any other jungle. But with every step, it's thinning tree line hinted towards new territory, just on the horizon. Perhaps a rocky outcropping? Or an open plain? He couldn't be bothered to peer outside of his immediate surroundings, so it would be a surprise.

He would miss the moment Awiki noticed him, her own brilliant gaze coming alive. He would miss her scent, the sound of her feet... all of her.

Surprise.

---

That terror? From before? Peaked.

Awiki, having just upchucked her meal, looked across the landscape at Kanene. Fear and excitement, and maybe a little embarrassment, all fought it out over the front lines. Who would take the helm?

On the one hand, Awiki had always feared rogue males. With an army of sisters at her side there was hardly ever any reason to worry, but on her own? It was customary to avoid them. It was customary.

On the other hand, she was no longer wanted to be alone.

Her lips parted, breath leaving them where words wanted to. She waited several seconds to see if he would notice her first. She didn't want to be rude, or attacked, or too forward... but when Kanene scanned right past her and kept moving she couldn't stop her limbs from following.

"Uh, Hey! Wait!"

---

Kanane. Hater of solitude but fearful of company. Froze.

---

She got within a couple of feet, a comfortable distance, before slowing. This could go one of two ways. Nombuso would be proud of her mindfulness.

When Kanene said nothing, she spoke again.

"I'm sorry to bother you I just... Hello, hello." a sharp intake of breath "Are you alone out here?"

---

Silence.

Kanene was in a state of it, but it was the deep and profound sensation of silence that kept him from speaking. The chaos that usually controlled his mind was gone. He could hear her. Smell her. And when his head finally turned -- see her.

And the silence. It prevailed.

It was a rare blessing indeed. So rare in fact that it took a lot for him to break it. How long would it last? The sweet freedom. Even the pain seemed to fall away as soon as his eyes locked onto hers...

And they opened to their full size for but an instant, as he tried to take back his power, before reflexively narrowing again. Some things were far too conditioned to break away from.

His lips moved.

"Hi."

---

Oh thank God he can talk.

Awiki held on to just a hint of caution. If his expression was anything to go off of, it was warranted. The guard was necessary, if she wanted to survive on her own. But, in truth, she nearly glossed over it in the face of her own excitement. Fear had lost the battle. She was bubbling with a strange sense of reassurance.

A soft, sweet smile pulled at her lips and she returned his words in kind.

"Hi."

---

She was beautiful. That was his first clear thought in days.

Kanene was trying to stay present. To really relish in the peace being offered to him, but every second brought the end of it closer.

...She was beautiful. And her smile made him smile, half cocked and toothy. And he was nearly at a loss for words, when words finally found him.

"U-um. Yes, I'm alone. Do you need me? I mean help? Do you need help? With anything?"

---

Awiki giggled. She didn't want to. She could hear a nagging voice at the back of her head whisper, 'stupid girl'. Affectionately. Lovingly. Protectively. But she couldn't help it.

Like a cub, bumbling over their words. It was cute. He was...

"I don't need help. No." The smile widened. "I'm just glad to see another face. It's been a long, quiet journey for me."

---

That giggle. He laughed nervously, less out of want and more out of reflex. Journey?

"Oh. Where did you come from?"

---

The lioness hesitated. Stiffening up. She was still rather protective of her home... her old home... The smile never left her face, however.

"It doesn't matter. It's far behind me now and I'm looking forward to the future."

The wound was still rather fresh.

---

Future. Ah. Poor choice of words. She wouldn't know, but... poor choice.

The silence remained. Lingering. It was almost torture in and of itself, as much as it was a boon.

Although a bit out of practice, he certainly wasn't blind. She shifted and he cursed his own insensitivity. Awkwardly, Kanene cleared his throat.

"Uh, yeah. It's been a while for me too. Seeing anyone, that is. It's definitely a change of pace. For me."

---

"Really?" Comfort was growing on her. Kanene seemed anything but threatening and held himself as such. "Well, let's do this right then. My name is Awiki."

---

Her pause was expectant, and he wanted to give in. He found himself wanting to give her whatever she wanted. As long as she was standing there talking to him, peace was abundant.

"Kanene." He spoke quickly. "My name is Kanene." The sudden epiphany had given him a jolt of energy, for which he internalized in order to keep cool. No one had ever been able to keep the noice down for this long. No one had ever done this. She was... helping. "It's nice to meet you, Awiki."

He looked at her with all those thoughts, as if trying to send them telepathically. It lingered. Then he laughed, brushing it off to coincidence.

---

But Awiki saw the look. She couldn't quite understand it. She didn't know what he was trying to convey. But she felt hopeful. And encouraged. And... as if... she had nothing left to fear.

Loneliness would also, very soon, be far, far behind her.

(w/c: 1653)