Name: Brianna Cathaline Quinn-Smith

Basic Information:

Nicknames: ‘Anna’ is what I usually go by. When Mom gets annoyed, she calls me ‘Cathy’.

Birthday: January 3rd, 2045, which makes me a Capricorn.

Blood Status: Half-Blood. (Mom is a Half-Blood, Dad is a Muggle)

Wand: Eleven inches, sleek and smooth, Fir wood with Phoenix feather core

Sexual Orientation: Straight

Face Claim: Anya Taylor-Joy

School and Career:

Attending: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

House: Slytherin (Prefect)

Year: Seventh

Best Lessons:

■ Transfigurations
■ Charms
■ Defense Against the Dark Arts
■ History of Magic

Worst Lessons:
■ Herbology
■ Potions
■ Astronomy (class is when?)

Clubs:

■ Slytherin House Quidditch Team (1st through 6th Years: First Team Chaser)
■ Dueling Club (Captain)
■ Herbology Club (Mentor)
■ Chess Club

OWL Scores:

Astronomy - EE
Charms - O
Defence Against the Dark Arts - O
Herbology - EE
History of Magic - O
Potions - EE
Transfiguration - O

Cursebreaking - O
Healing - EE
Muggle Studies - O
Wandless Magic Practice Class - EE
Wizard Law - O

NEWT Scores:

■ Astronomy ~ X
■ Charms ~ X
■ Defense Against the Dark Arts ~ X
■ Herbology ~ X
■ History of Magic ~ X
■ Potions ~ X
■ Transfiguration ~ X
■ Elective ~ X

Current Employment: Student

Dream Job: Mom dissuaded me from being a Hit Wizard, so I'm planning to be an Obliviator, like Aria

Personality:

■ Driven: When I see a goal, I’ll work really hard to see it done. I’m not afraid of getting my hands dirty and doing it
■ Pragmatic: Good thing for me I inherited Mom and Dad’s sense of making sure that I want to do is actually, you know, doable, and I’m pretty good at figuring out the steps.
■ Independent: I’d like to think I can take care myself, whether others see it or not. Yeah, I haven’t much of a chance to prove it, but when the rest of my family is off doing things, I got this.
■ Loyal: My family is my family; my friends are family. Mess with them, you deal with me.
■ Sensitive: I won’t show it, but if you hurt me, I will feel it, and it will take a long time for me to get over it.
■ Quiet: I don’t like loud people, and I see no reason to be loud myself. They can blather on all day long about how good they are, I’ll let my work do my talking for me.

■ I love it when Dad orders pizza from the place near where we live, and he gets me an order of garlic bread knots and dipping sauce.
■ Chocolate. I was told there would be chocolate at the end of this interview. There is chocolate, yes?
■ The Holyhead Harpies, love listening to their games on the Wireless
■ I collect books, especially on British and Welsh history
■ Watching ‘Stranger Things

Dislikes:

■ Brussel Sprouts and cauliflower are evil, just take my word for it. Ron has that one right.
■ Don’t like it when people lie to me. I try very hard not to lie to others; I expect the same from them.
■ Getting smothered by Mom. Ever since Ron started at Hogwarts, she pays a lot more attention to me.
■ The mood I get in when things just don’t work out for me. I try to hide it, but when I get down on myself, it’s not pleasant, and it feeds on itself, which isn't good at all; especially when it comes with migraines.
■ Girl Drama- it comes with noise and headaches. Did I mention I don’t like loud people?

Hobbies:

■ Quidditch. I like to play just like Mom did.
■ Wizard Chess- it makes you think and plan
■ Soccer- because Mom won’t let me play rugby

Strengths:

■ Work Ethic: Nobody’s calling me a slacker
■ I’m told I’m a really smart kid.

Weaknesses:

■ Okay, I’m just flat out stubborn. Ya’ happy already?
■ I can be something of a smartass (shut up, Ronald; no help from you...), but that’s better than a dumb one…

Fears:

■ That I can’t meet my parents’ expectations of me.
■ Someone breaking my heart

Patronus: A Great Horned Owl with blue eyes
Happy Memory to Summon Patronus:

Special Abilities:
Animagus Form:
Apparition Status: Yes
Flying Certification: Yes

Languages:

■ English (Native)
■ Welsh (good enough to be able to read it at a high school level, and speak it passably)
■ French (taught in school. Can read it well enough, and can speak it passably)
■ Latin (bits and pieces, mostly medical terms and much of it accumulated from listening to Mom and Dad)

History:

Childhood: Brianna is the second-born child of Danica and Andrew Smith, and was born at St. Mungo’s, where she works as a healer. Brianna was named for Brian Kiss, a police officer in the Kent Police Department, and Andrew’s father, whom was killed in the line of duty. Her middle name comes from one of her mother’s dearest friends, Cathaline League, whom Danica has known since they were First Years at Hogwarts. In spite of her father being a Muggle, Brianna has been aware of the Wizarding World from a very young age, as she would often visit her great-grandparents, the Quinns. She is very much a product of both worlds, for whom watching the telly is as normal as flying around on a broomstick.

In addition to spending time with the Quinns, as well as her great-aunt Arabella, Brianna has known a couple of his mother’s friends as being ‘family in all but blood’, whom also live in the same Cotswold area as her own family (actually they live within walking distance of each other). Though her parents both worked long hours at very demanding jobs, Danica, a healer at St. Mungo’s, and Andrew, a pharmaceutical researcher for the AstraZeneca corporation, always made sure they were part of young Brianna’s life, encouraging and nurturing her in any way they could. What she was never told was how they were trying hard not to be like their own parents, giving her all the love and attention they themselves never got, and none of the physical and emotional abuse.

School Years: Like her big brother before her, Brianna was enrolled at the same private school he was in previous to going to Hogwarts. What her teachers noticed with Brianna was there was a level of attitude with her. There was a time to work, and there was a time to play, and ne’re would the two meet, and she didn’t like being bothered until her work was done to her satisfaction. To some degree she was trying to emulate what she saw her parents doing, and would get frustrated when she wasn’t allowed to finish a project because the class was moving on to something else.

When she started having magical incidents, she was disappointed when the decision was made to homeschool her, as she had a close coterie of friends she didn’t wish to be parted from. Learning she was about to become a witch like her mother, Brianna pestered her parents for ‘witch lessons’, so she could get back to school with her friends. Danica was thankful when the letter from Hogwarts arrived, and Brianna counted down the days until she would board a certain red steam train with her older brother.

Going to the train station, Brianna was excited, because this was her chance to Hogwarts after waiting for so long to go and watching her big brother board the train. However, she did feel pretty crummy about it, because she knew how upset Mom was with the idea of both of them being gone, and as Dad had to leave on a business trip, she would be returning to an empty house. She was thrilled to get her first look at the castle, and impressed with the Great Hall, though she was surprised at the method by which they were Sorted into their respective Houses. She hinted heavily about wanting to go to Ravenclaw, because she thought she was closer to being like Dad than she to her Gryffindor alum Mom, or her Hufflepuff brother.

The Sorting Hat:

The Professor set the hat down carefully on the student's head. For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
Oh, no, my dear, none of the above I'm afraid
No, inside you I see something else
You'll figure it out for yourself in
Slytherin!

First Year: I was a little disappointed about not being placed into Ravenclaw, but I like the whole competitiveness that comes with being a Slytherin. That said, I still feel kinship with the Eagles, so I see myself as being a 'Slytherclaw', I guess. Eh, whatever.

I was amazed when I made the Slytherin Quidditch team, after being told that First Years usually don't make the House teams, I'd seen the whole tryout as being a way of gauging my skills and what I needed to do to make the team next term. I guess they had some players graduate last year or something because I was able to get on as a Chaser, just like I'd planned to. Yeah, Keepers and Seekers get all the glory, but it's the Chasers that really put the points on the scoreboard.

Wasn't so lucky with the Dueling Club, but then, I didn't know anything, so it's really no surprise, and they won't allow duelists to wrestle or throw punches when their spells fail them (which is really too bad). I also joined the Herbology Club Ron's involved with, and only because I was struggling with Herbology, and this gave me the chance to get in the extra work I needed to get my grade up and to stay off Professor Hill's 'Students to be Composted' list. Plus, Mom and Dad extracted a promise from us that we'd share at least one activity.

Shortly before going on Christmas break, Ron and I were involved in a bit of an altercation. Seems as though some upperclassman grabbed Aria in the library, and Ron tried to protect her. He got blasted with hexes by the creep, slammed into one of those big, heavy bookcases and was knocked out. That's when I showed up and started giving this guy a piece of my mind. Sorry, he hurt my big brother, darned skippy he was going to know where I was on the subject, and I was going to give him the business, because I didn't have any spells to do the job for me.

I woke up in the Hospital Wing, and I'm still not sure what was real and what wasn't, but I'm told I sprouted tentacles and oozed all over the place and had a skin condition because I was just itching all over. Mom showed up at the school, and I've never seen her so angry; not at me or Ron, but with the school's staff and the Headmaster for allowing it to happen. Dunno who did this, but I do know he was packed off to a hospital so they can sort out what's going on with him.

Mom brought us home for Christmas holiday a bit earlier than was normal so we could finish recovering at home. She had a long talk with Ron about putting more work into his Defense Against Dark Arts classwork; while she applauded how he protected Aria (that would be 'Arrreeeah', full snark here), and gave him full marks for bravery, he was fortunate that he wasn't killed, and nothing worse happened to the little sister he promised to look out for (yeah, that would be me, thank you). Mom told him some other stuff too, but I didn't catch any of it (dang it, Mom cast a Muffliato. How rude of her to treat a poor, innocent eavesdropper like that).

Thankfully, the rest of the term went with a lot less drama, although it's funny to see the way Ron looks at Aria. Ron and I have already made plans to raid Diagon Alley over the summer; he's going to help me pick out a broomstick of my own. Now, if only he'd stop calling me 'Squid Girl' or 'Squidward'. Oh, and he just got a Prefect's badge in the school Owl Post, and Mom and Dad are just over the moon proud of him, especially since Mom was a Prefect and Head Girl when she was at school. Now, if Aria also made Prefect.....

Second Year: Oh crud, Aria made Prefect too, which means the both of them are being insufferable, and I have to hear Mom and dad say what a cute couple the two of them make. But it's not like I'm left completely in the dust, thank you. Made it on the Quidditch team again as a Chaser, and now I'm also a Dueling Club member in good standing, thank you very much. Oh, and I'm still a member of the Herbology Club; don't ask me why, but it is kinda fun.

Third Year: Coming into this year was the big news about what happened to Angier Zheng. I didn't really know him, he was two years ahead of me, I think, but I knew him to be a gifted wizard. He botched an experiment in Self-Transfiguration or he was trying to be an Animagus, or something, and the results were absolutely horrifying to think about. Gave me flashbacks to what happened to me in First Year, and I realized it could have been even worse. I also felt so badly for Yari (who I would make a friend of later on), as she was his girlfriend, and now she had to muddle along without him. All of a sudden, I was really glad for having developed friendships in the Herbology Club.

After a rather forgettable season of Quidditch (replete with injuries), someone somewhere thought it a good idea to hold a pick-up game, with as many players as would show up. Ron and I jumped at the chance to play, and we were rather hoping we would have the chance to play on the same side for once, allowing us to be tag-team Chasers. Nope, that didn't happen, but what did was having the Knapp kids, all of them Beaters, were taking potshots at everybody. I never had a prayer of scoring a goal, though Ron did. I was blasted off the top of my broomstick by a line-drive, and I would have fallen to the pitch, except Ron pulled off what I'm told was a catch worthy of one of the best. Dunno how he did it, but he caught me in midair, managed to stay on his broomstick, stay in the air and got us both to the ground in one piece. Found out later, he cracked ribs doing it, and he never said a word about it.

Fourth Year: Well, Aria made Head Girl, however, Ron wasn't Head Boy. How the actual freak did that happen? Milan Wellbelove got the latter job, which kinda screwed up what should have been the send-off my brother earned. If my sources are accurate, the ultimate drama llama earned Head Boy by becoming a freakin' potion-addict and throwing himself down a flight of stairs at the castle. Okay, I'll have to admit, he's a cute guy, but I'm calling BS on him being the role model we students need, unless as a cautionary tale. Ron was livid at first, but by the time of the first Herbology Club meeting, he'd taken a rather Zen outlook on things.

On the subject of the Herbology Club, Ron took over from Flora Helen as Club Captain, and he worked all summer having a plan for the club. The culmination of which was the creation of an apple orchard with an alchemically enhanced beech tree he was calling a 'mallorn' (don' ask, just read up on your Tolkien), which would be a permanent addition to the school. I'm pretty sure his 'pay-it-forward' project was the impetus that got Aria and Milan to kickstart the big carnival at the end of the year, and nobody will dissuade me of my theory.

Over the summer, I made my career plans known, and the reactions were...poor. Dad, being a Muggle (sorry, Dad), thought 'Hit Wizard' meant I'd be going around offing people like some gangster. Ron, bless him, was willing to support whatever decision I made, but even he was uneasy about my plans. Mom cried. She was upset and disappointed; I hadn't done anything wrong, but I found myself wishing she'd yell at me or belt me in the mouth, rather than have her disappointed in me. Instead, she took me in to work, and showed me the beds reserved for Ministry Hit Wizards and told me she'd rather die than see me laid out in one of them. In the end, she relented and agreed my being an Obliviator would be okay, after all her future daughter-in-law would be working towards that.

Early on in the year, I ran into another girl, Csuri, who, I'll confess, reminded me a lot of myself at that age. She was having issues learning basic BS First Year Transfigurations, so I decided to start helping her out. She questioned my motives and was convinced I was just setting her up to fail and couldn't believe I was just being nice and wanting to help a fellow Slytherin out. I got the feeling she basically alone at Hogwarts, a feeling I was pretty familiar with, and I started making a friend of her.

As this was the last season I'd be flying against Aria and Ron, so I made it a point to renew our rather one-sided rivalry, one-sided in that I was the one pushing it constantly. Mugging Ron and Aria for the Quaffle, pushing the limits on not getting called for fouls, and continuing the litany of gruesome injuries I took in my quest for one-upmanship. Somehow, Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup, though I'm not sure my efforts really contributed or not.

At the end of the season, I learned I was in the running for the VC position, but I didn't kid myself about what would happen. I was only in the running by dint of seniority, not because I'd earned any special attention. Truthfully, with Ron and Aria leaving, I questioned whether I could have fun playing anymore, and if I didn't get the VC job, well, I had another excuse to bail on the team. Being a Fourth Year, I knew I was running out of time to start earning my own accolades, like Ron and Aria had. If things didn't happen real soon, aside from OWLs and NEWTs, my career at Hogwarts was already written.

As the big carnival drew closer, I found out not only were Mom and Dad coming, but so were the Quinns, Aunt Arabella and Grandma and Grandpa Quinn. I knew they weren't coming to see my efforts, no they were there to see Ron and his club's accomplishments, especially the orchard with its shiny dedication plaque, and meet Aria, since, at some point in the future she'd be part of the family. It was damned hard not to feel down about it all, but thankfully I ran into Csuri, so I had somebody who could relate to feeling like an outsider.

Fifth Year: A lot of things changed for me this year, and I'm not sure where to start. I guess the biggest change was this was my first year where I wasn't in Ron and Aria's shadow, and I finally had the chance to be seen as my own person. This day was one I knew would come, and when it did, I decided it was time for me to be...well, more grown up or less of a brat (take your pick), and not feel so danged sorry for myself. Maybe because of this, and because I really started helping Csuri out, that Professor Narain took a chance on me, and a Prefect's badge showed up with my supplies list.

Everyone was pleased to see this happen, and I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd earned the chance to prove myself equal to the challenge. Of course, this meant I'd do my darnedest to prove I belonged there. I also got custody of the Dueling Club, something I was quite pleased with, and had plans for. With Ron gone, I had the perfect excuse to ditch Herbology Club, except that I had friends there, and there was Tamhas, and Ron fumbled passing the club off to somebody else. I also decided the best way to train up for my Herbology OWL was to be a Mentor, and I could help Tam clean up the mess Ron left.
The biggest surprise came when I learned I was now Vice-Captain of the Quidditch team. I'll bet all the Jelly Babies in Honeydukes, I wasn't Karah's first choice, but that was because her first choice got bounced off the team after some rather dodgy allegations, and she let me know I was on a bit of probation in her estimation.

Still, I was bringing a brand-new Seeker to the team, as Ron and I were training Csuri up all summer to have her ready to contend. Too bad she was sent into an environment where she was basically set up to fail, as all the other teams had Seventh Year Captains as Seekers. The season was a dumpster fire, and even though I scored more goals this year than I'd ever scored previously, I would have been just as happy to forfeit the last match just to save us the embarrassment of getting swept. That said, I learned a lot from our losing season, which would help us next year.

Over Christmas break, I found an old friend of mine I used to play cricket with had taken ill, and I visited her in hospital. She was suffering from one of those illnesses I'm not sure even magic can fix, and the outlook wasn't particularly promising. I promised her we'd see each other come summer, and prayed she would be still there to see it fulfilled. The big kicker was finding Aedan McInnis died in some gruesome roadway accident right before the end of the break. Us Snakes took another hit on the chin, and I made sure the team honoured his passing, even if Karah didn't appreciate the gesture.

Of course, the biggest deal this year was the twelve OWLS I had to write at the end of the year. Every spare moment was spent working on being ready for these tests. Seven 'Outstandings' and five 'Exceeds Expectations' ensured I could proceed with my career goals.

Sixth Year: All this year I've been feeling as though there was a long shadow hanging over me. When I came home from Hogwarts, my friend who'd been battling a terrible illness was making progress, and I started looking forward to the idea of the two of us doing things over the summer, right up until she wasn't. You know the end is coming when someone is transferred to palliative care, and I was there sitting with her. Worse, I was holding her close to me when she passed away. It's a feeling and a memory which will never leave me, feeling someone else's life simply slide away; no trumpets blaring, no heavenly chorus, only silence and a void. I know Muggles can't be ghosts, but God as my witness, I felt a hand that wasn't there on my shoulder, and I saw something...

If this wasn't enough to deal with, Bubber took ill not long before I was to return to Hogwarts, deathly ill, enough so that not only couldn't he come back to school with me, but I was pretty sure I wouldn't see him ever again. Right before the travel day, Dad had to take a business trip to Germany, and Mom was on a trip on behalf of St. Mungo's. Just as I was planning to take the Knight Bus or Floo to meet the train, Ron swooped in to make sure I wasn't completely alone. He was exhausted, but he was there for me.

Returning to school, I discovered what pulls the carriages that take students from Hogsmeade to the castle. Seeing the psychopomps, I won't ever take a ride in those things ever again, I'll walk, thank you. Found out somebody, namely one of my younger players on the Quidditch team, had finally formed a chess club at the school, and I promptly signed up, as did Csuri, who's a holy terror when she plays. Because of this, I picked Csuri to be my Vice-Captain, over the objections of others (Afron and Kasamir specifically). I kinda hope putting her in a position where she has to deal with people will knock some of the chip off of her shoulder.

Speaking of that shadow over me, Tam scared the crud out of me as it got closer to Christmas. The stress of dealing with Aedan's death, and everything else he had on his plate proved too much for him. Thank God for Hesperia, she prevented what would have been a genuine tragedy. Tamhas is a good soul, and I know I wouldn't have been able to deal with it if he died too. At least Christmas went well enough, although Mom advised me it was better to keep Bubber at home. My fluffy friend was ten pounds lighter than when I saw him previously, and as much as it tore me up to leave at home, I knew it was better for him.

This year's Quidditch season went far better than I could have hoped for, as we cruised through our matches, and Csuri caught the Snitch in all three of our matches, sweeping the series, winning us the Cup, and silencing anybody who had anything bad to say of my decisions. Victory requires no explanations, defeat allows none. It wasn't all Csuri, of course, we all had a hand in the worst-to-first season we had, and it was particularly satisfying stealing the Cup away from that silver-haired Nora Dashwood wannabe, Linsey. Csuri and I are already planning to figure out how to establish a dynasty worthy of the tales Mom told us of about the indominable Slytherin teams from when she was in school.

Between the glorious season on the pitch, and how well my exams went, I was hoping and planning for a much nicer summer than the one I had. Yeah, that hope didn't last longer than pulling into the station.

Arriving in London, while I made sure others found their way to the families, I saw no sign of my own. Somehow, it seemed fitting that I'd be left to fend for myself after doing my due diligence as a Prefect. However, just before I was about to Floo home on my own, Ron was there again to save the day. Dead tired on his feet, but he was there. He delivered the bad news to me. I knew Barney, our dog died in his sleep, and I dreaded a similar fate befell my big furry Bubber. No, he was all right, though it had taken both Mom and Ron to care for him, but we are essentially scattered and homeless right now.

It seems there was a small electrical fire in the house, which while it was discovered and put out quickly, it was enough that Mom and Dad decided to get some renovations done on the house while it was being repaired. The house is still under repairs, which won't get done until sometime in July, I guess. While Aria and Ron are living in their place (yeah, Ron and Aria have a place of their own), Mom is staying at the Leaky Cauldron with the cats, and Dad is staying at suite maintained by AstraZeneca for traveling employees, leaving me with the option of either sleeping on a couch, staying with Mom, staying with Dad, or staying with my Great-Aunt Arabella. At least option four meant having my own bedroom, even if it was in a house with like twenty cats, but it also meant having quality time with the Quinns.

Seventh Year: Didn't get Head Girl, for which I'm grateful, however it was Linsey who got the job instead. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice girl, hits the books like I do, but she reminds me too much of Nora Dashwood, thankfully minus the cult of panting admirers.

Postgraduation:

Relationships:

Family: Danica Quinn-Smith (Mother), Andrew Smith (Father), Ronald David Quinn-Smith (older brother), Jack Stewart (maternal grandfather), Agrippina (Quinn) Stewart (maternal grandmother), Quentin Quinn (maternal great-grandfather), Katarina Quinn (maternal great-grandmother), Arabella Quinn (maternal great-aunt), Veronica (Kiss) Walsh (paternal aunt), Tobias Walsh (paternal uncle), Brian Kiss (paternal step-grandfather (deceased))

Friends: Rosabella Winthrop (‘step-aunt’), Andrea Hart (‘step-aunt’), members of the Slytherin Quidditch team, the Dueling Club, and the Herbology Club, Cathaline League ('Aunt Cathy'), Aria Rosalie League (future sister-in-law, possible co-worker), Csuri Douglas Narain, Tamhas

Best Friend: Csuri Douglas Narain

Romantic Interest: None, I'm not cute and pretty, and answer to the name of Nora Dashwood, dangit.

Enemies: None, they know better

Pets: Bubber Hairfoot, a big black and white Maine Coon with a white face and forepaws, whom Great-Aunt Bella says is like Half-Kneazle, which is pretty cool. My brother calls him, ‘Blubber’, because he’s overweight, and doesn’t fit in the cat carrier anymore. Ron claims the cat weighs more than I do, but that’s just not true… well, maybe. Well, Bubber got really sick during my Sixth Year; he's better now, but now he's about thirty pounds.

Update Log: (Signature Access by Crew Only)

Created: May 25th, 2022
Pending: 𝓖𝓻𝔂𝒇𝒇𝓲𝒆 05/31/2022
Accepted: 𝓖𝓻𝔂𝒇𝒇𝓲𝒆 07/26/2022
Updated: House Added June 11th, 2022
Updated: September 27th, 2022
Updated: February 5th, 2023
Updated: May 13th, 2024