Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Cruise Control

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cruise
  Control
View Results

zentlair

Vice Captain

Dedicated Gaian

10,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:28 pm
I know not all of you are driving a car yet, but I decided to post a discussion on the topic of the feature "Cruise Control." It's a somewhat recent feature in a car that allows you to take your foot off of the accelerator pedal and the car will continue to move at its "set" speed.

I personally NEVER use cruise control on my minivan. I personally think the little button on the steering wheel is pure evil. I understand that on very long drives (as I have done many times, from mid-California to eastern Washington) your feet can get pretty tired of pushing down on that pedal while on the freeway, but personally, I trust myself a lot more than a car's internal "brain."

I'm not proposing that the vehicle is going to go crazy and fly me off the side of the road or anything, but if there is an emergency situation occuring on the freeway (or anywhere else you have decided to use your cruise control), it's a lot more natural to use your usual driving routine to get you out of an accident. I know that if you simply tap the breaks while cruise control is enabled, that it turns off and you have full control again. But there are plenty of situations where breaking is not the way to avoid the accident.

The other thing is falling asleep. Plenty of individuals have fallen asleep at the wheel while using the pedals as usual... or even in some cases with a stick shift! If it's possible to fall asleep while doing all that monkey motion... how easy do you think it would be to accidentally fall asleep while cruise control was enabled?? All you need is the steering wheel, while the rest of you is motionless... and on a freeway, you hardly use the steering wheel, unless you're the type to weave in and out of lanes passing people (if so, this is how I feel towards you: mad ).

What are your thoughts on Cruise Control? Are you for it or against it?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 pm

Well, I think, as with all things, there are pros and cons with cruise control.
As a new driver, I have only used it a couple times (and only on the interstates).
I've decided to stop using it for a while because I know I should get more familliar with driving first.
I think it creates a false sense of security, for lack of a better word, in thinking that it's one less thing you have to worry about.
Eventually though, I think I'll use it more, but again, only on highways and interstates.

[.Vanity.]

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:39 pm
I don't know if my car even has cruise control, did they have it on cars back in '93?

I probably wouldn't use it anyway, I'm more or less terrified of driving. It's a good way to stay awake on the road, I suppose. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 pm
Yeah, they had it in '93.

You probably shoudln't be driving if you are afraid you will fall asleep. Cruise Control is not going to make you fall asleep faster, especially considering you are moving at 55-65 MPH in a 2500 pound projectile, only inches away from a contrete median and a few feet from other cars moving at the same speed.

Cruise Control doesn't bother me as much as those automatic seatbelts and that feature that used to be in luxury models that turned off the engine if you took off your seatbelt. THAT is a safety hazard. I have no beef with GPS, it's always good to know where you are, but OnStar is probably the most offensive of all vehicular innovations. Do you really want some helpdesk staffer knowing where you are at all times? If you get into an accident, and it's your fault, do you REALLY want some corporation to know that it was you? NO. So why should you pay a monthly fee and an extra $500 down on your car for such inconvenience? Think about it: If you are so badly injured in an accident that you can't move from your seat, would you really want to be rescued?  

rlimbaugheib

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:46 pm
I once took a road trip with my ex where he used cruise control in a car with no air bags and faulty seat belts. Normally I would have been terrified, but there was no one on the road whenever he used it so that made me feel better (however not entirely so.)

Personally, I would never use cruise control, though it's a very tempting feature. However they are trying to make it better. I forget exactly how it worked, but my parents were looking into a new car recently where even if the car was in cruise control, it would automatically slow down if something came to close to it based on it's speed. However, this feature was extremely expensive and like you said, might make things worse. There are definately situations in the car where it is better to speed up in order to avoid an accident than to slow down.

I guess I just don't trust people enough to use cruise control responsibly, or for cruise control to even work. So, I suppose that means I would feel a little safer in my car if it weren't there.

Crap. I think I'm getting carpel tunnel....  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:09 am
I don't like the thought of Cruise Control. We are already making driving too comfortable. I understand that on long drives we don't want to get tired of moving our legs or arms but would you rather fall asleep at the wheel and die from a collision? Cruise Control is just another invention that causes problems on the road. It makes it easier to wall asleep.  

Endyamori

XxBrittnay_BrendaxX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 pm
i hate cruise control b/c what if you were like going to hit some thing and its stuck or you can't change it very fast you'll kill your self  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:38 am
I read something somewhere about an old grandma who enabled the cruise ctl, thinking that it would steer for her, and she tilted the seat back and Deliberately fell asleep. She crashed, of course.  

Hyratel Dragon

spexial

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 pm
I can understand your concerns about sleeping, but if you're a safe driver, you should know when you're tired enough to sleep. I don't drive personally, but my mom drove me to college and it wil like a 6 hour trip. I'd think my foot would get tire dnad I'd use CC, even if it's not foolproof.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:34 pm
Hasn't cruise control been around for >10 years?
That's what I thought anyway, although it's only become a more standard feature nowadays.

Stoobs

banana_mania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:08 am
heart  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 pm
ya, i've never used cruise control, but i've just started driving, and my truck doesn't have it. i think that so long as your awake and alert, then it's a safe thing to use. it doesn't matter if your pushing the gas or just have your feet sitting there, your almost as equaly likely to fall asleep. but like i said, i've never used it, so i'm not real qualified to comment.  

CabooseRIF

tinkys85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:32 am
i hate it my hubby uses it not stop, its annoying i ask him one day if he knew how to drive without it,he had to tell me no because that was the only way he was taught to drive burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm
I believe that a defensive driving certificate from an accredited school should be required to get cruise control.  

J-E-O-C

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff