Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Deaf Day Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which sense would hurt you the most to lose?
  Hearing
  Sight
  Touch
  Taste
  Scent
View Results

EggaSponge

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:42 pm
Sheer_Immortal
All my senses are so important to me, I don't think I could pick one that I'd miss the most (though if I lost my sense of taste, I could probably lose some weight wink ). Senses are the only way I have to interpret the world I live in, so missing any of them would be like missing a corner piece in a jigsaw puzzle or something.

My eyesight kinda sucks anyway, but if I couldn't see a rainbow or lightning or my honey anymore, that'd really suck. Sure I have memories of seeing those things, but memories fade and warp over time.

I was half-deaf and couldn't smell much of anything when I was a kid (surgery fixed it when I was 5); I don't so much remember that it was bad not being able to hear and smell stuff (because it was all I knew at the time), but I remember after the surgery, everything seemed so loud, I didn't have to ask people to repeat what they said, and I was awestruck at the smell of cooking bacon the next morning. I don't want to go back to not being able to wake up to cooking bacon again.

All of my senses have particular significance when I'm spending time with my honey, but I'm not going into detail there >.>

see, i have a sensory neural loss, surgery can't fix that  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:49 pm
Well, my daughter's day went very well, save for some hiccups in Biology and English, where she was supposed to be participating in a discussion. She has a whole new outlook on being deaf, now, and said that it startled her when she took the earplugs out. We really do live in a noisy world but you don't notice it unless you've been without it.

On the other hand, there is too much of a sense too. My youngest son has Tactile Sensory Disorder, which, in plain English, means his sense of touch is overdeveloped. Certain clothes irritate him to the point of pain; certain things that we would think nothing of (grass on your feet, shaving cream on your hands, modeling clay, fingerpaints, even the sensation of hair against the back of his neck) drives him crazy. He's better now than he was when he was a baby and toddler, but it does make life more difficult for him. At least now he can tell me when something bothers him.  

Mara_Brightwing

Manji-luo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:49 pm
Mara_Brightwing
My daughter, who is sixteen and in her second year of sign language, was given the assignment to be deaf for the day. She started at 8 pm, and it doesn't end until 3 pm tomorrow afternoon. She has to wear earplugs, and is not allowed to speak except in sign language. Tomorrow will be a challenge because she cannot recieve any information by way of hearing. The teachers know of her assignment but that doesn't mean they will give her a free ride for the day. Tomorrow evening, her homework is to write an essay on what it's like to be deaf. It's a lucky thing I know a little bit of sign language too, or she would have never made it tonight..LOL!

She's finding out that it's hard to be without one of your senses. It's hard to communicate, and it's hard to look at the world in the same way.

If one of your senses were taken away, what would you do, and how would it make you feel?
ouch gonk i'm glad i never had to do that!!!

i think sight would be the most painful thiing to me. losing the sense of touch would only make me less receptive to pain i think, my sense of smell is already poor because of my allergies, and i already have bad hearing, so the only two that would hurt most are taste and sight ^^;  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:03 pm
I don't think I could stand losing any of my senses, I love and appreciate them all.  

Lily the Pink

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 am
EggaSponge
Ouch. Mine had something to do with my adenoids (however you spell that...I think they're glands), which were taken out. Plus my ears weren't draining properly, so I got little tubes stuck in my ears. Basically, my entire head was clogged with mucus xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:34 am
If I were born without some of my senses, I would have already adapted to it as you can't miss what you've never had. Now if I were to lose what I have, I'd be devastated (at least for awhile) until I learned to experience the world from a different point of view. I need to create. If I ever lost that ability, I don't know what I'd do. sweatdrop We are adaptable creatures, it's true, but when we lose a part of the essence of our being, then do we cease to exist??? eek  

IMWanderling

EggaSponge

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:47 pm
Sheer_Immortal
EggaSponge
Ouch. Mine had something to do with my adenoids (however you spell that...I think they're glands), which were taken out. Plus my ears weren't draining properly, so I got little tubes stuck in my ears. Basically, my entire head was clogged with mucus xd

i had that too!!!  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:08 am
IMWanderling
If I were born without some of my senses, I would have already adapted to it as you can't miss what you've never had. Now if I were to lose what I have, I'd be devastated (at least for awhile) until I learned to experience the world from a different point of view. I need to create. If I ever lost that ability, I don't know what I'd do. sweatdrop We are adaptable creatures, it's true, but when we lose a part of the essence of our being, then do we cease to exist??? eek

in a sense, yes you do cease to exist. you become another person. i know this from personal experienc - i lost 50% of my hearing when i was 16 to a brain tumor. wiped more than my hearing, but we won't get into that... as for the loss of any other sense, i think it would have to be my sense of smell and touch (both which are oddly strong). my memory linked to my sense of smell - i can recall moments in life perfectly from smell alone. people too....lol. i've alway told my friends if they got lost i could sniff them out. rofl rofl  

chibishan

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:27 am
EggaSponge

Is that when you can't feel anything?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:33 pm
wow that was a tough question sweatdrop ..i struggled with sight and hearing. i mean hearing is a big one. to never hear your loves voice again? or the sounds of the ocean crashing? or even the best sound on earth which is children laughing. it woul be hard. eventually i picked sight, because id rather see the beauty in the world then have it lost to me. and i want to be able to reconize the evil around me.i also wright and it is a major passion of mine- id go CRAZY stressed if i couldnt see the lines of my paper.  

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100

EggaSponge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:54 pm
Artanus
EggaSponge

Is that when you can't feel anything?

no i lack a protein on the ends of my nerves in my ear that causes damaged hearing  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:32 pm
this is tough....i'd have to say my sight or hearing. I want to travel around the world and see so many different places. So w/o sight that would be very difficult. And hearing....i'd miss the natural sounds around me that i had taken for granted when i could hear. i'd miss it all.....and i suck at lipreading so that would be complicated. lol sry, not a funny matter here....  

gtgtfgjhm

Kulshedra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:04 pm
I wouldn't mind being deaf all that much. I've been learning sign language for the past two or three years, though informally, and have had many deaf friends now. Of course, deafnes doesn't completely take out your sense of being able to 'hear' things, though. You can still feel things if loud or close enough. For instance, I know for a fact that holding a loved one close enough can still let you feel the beating of their hearts, that the blast of fireworks large enough can still shake your body, and that if music is loud enough you can feel it throughout your being, not just your ears.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:21 am
i belive being blind and daef but being rid of all senses that would suck  

nightslipper

Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out