Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
The New American

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Too deep?
  Huh?
  Not too deep, perhaps too soon.
  I get it... here's what I think:
View Results

chibishan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:59 am
I'm a sociology major at my University, and I like to ponder a lot of things. Particularly about gender, culture, and identity. As an American, I have developed multiple senses of identity, which has engendered a totally new culture. In my opinion, being American is fast becoming a new ethnicity. Now, in order to truely discuss this, everyone needs to know there is a difference between race and ethnicity. Race denotes your physical features which may denote general region of ancestry. Ethnicity is the culture from which your identity developed and thrives. This said, while race can influence enthnicity, it is not one in the same. I'm giving it another 100 years, and American's will have melted together enough to claim a new identity. The hybridity of race here is very high, and that also creates a new contrast on the subject matter. People of diverse racial/ethnic background have the ability to develop attributes they desire, and can move easily withing the circles which apply to them, and some that even may not, depending on outside presumptions of their race/ethnicity. This is the train of thought that I will be working on over the course of the next four years or so. Any input from gaians is encouraged, as it will only add to my thoughts and how I develop the thesis.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 pm
OMG you just made my brain explode...ok i feel dumb right now sad

What sort of input are you looking for?

There is multiple identitys within people in britain they keep evolving also which is interesting i suppose.

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

Lily the Pink

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:15 pm
I get parts of it, but what you mean by a "new race" is unclear.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:46 pm
@ Tigerlilly - not new "race" new ethnic identity. remember, there's a difference between race and ethnicity.

@ Angelic - alright. Britain is a very good example of ethnic hybridity. However, one of the things that you see is with Britain is more of a form of assimilation. Non native populations move to the Isles and over generations begin to take on the British identity. With America, it's a little different. Non native populations came to this land and dominated the indigenous people here. Then, through the introduction and attempted assimilation/control of other populations, other ethnicities were put into play. But because of the number and population size of the States, the mix is on an even greater scale. And the mix of the cultures has influenced the total identity of todays American. It's one of the reasons a person of any given race from America can go out of their home country, and yet the people within the country they are visiting will know they are American. What you find here is a division of peoples based on their perceived differences. However, because of the interracial/ethnic marriage and spawning of children, these children are given the opportunity to unite the cultures and develop them for further generations to be influenced by.

I just want to know how you identify personally, and how you identify others. Where do you see your own national identity going in the future years.

*adjusts professor glasses and looks at students expectantly* rofl  

chibishan

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:18 pm
chibishan
I'm a sociology major at my University, and I like to ponder a lot of things. Particularly about gender, culture, and identity. As an American, I have developed multiple senses of identity, which has engendered a totally new culture. In my opinion, being American is fast becoming a new ethnicity. Now, in order to truely discuss this, everyone needs to know there is a difference between race and ethnicity. Race denotes your physical features which may denote general region of ancestry. Ethnicity is the culture from which your identity developed and thrives. This said, while race can influence enthnicity, it is not one in the same. I'm giving it another 100 years, and American's will have melted together enough to claim a new identity. The hybridity of race here is very high, and that also creates a new contrast on the subject matter. People of diverse racial/ethnic background have the ability to develop attributes they desire, and can move easily withing the circles which apply to them, and some that even may not, depending on outside presumptions of their race/ethnicity. This is the train of thought that I will be working on over the course of the next four years or so. Any input from gaians is encouraged, as it will only add to my thoughts and how I develop the thesis.

hey if u strongly believe that that continue ur research. ive seen odder things proved. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:06 pm
Angelic_Highlights
OMG you just made my brain explode...ok i feel dumb right now sad

What sort of input are you looking for?

There is multiple identitys within people in britain they keep evolving also which is interesting i suppose.

I know, I don't get it...  

Chrisu-kun

Resplendent Eclipse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:30 pm
We might be becoming a new race, but as an American I feel that I have no individuality when it comes to culture because all of my cultures are lost in the blend of this giant melting pot. I almost feel jealous at the people that have a rich cultural background, and have a deep sense of where their ancestors and where they are from.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:13 am
yes, in 50 years everyone over here will speak fluent spanish and english. it's a fact i've faced.

so i'ma gonna move to switzerland xd  

EggaSponge

Call me Alice C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:39 pm
GrimReapersRose
We might be becoming a new race, but as an American I feel that I have no individuality when it comes to culture because all of my cultures are lost in the blend of this giant melting pot. I almost feel jealous at the people that have a rich cultural background, and have a deep sense of where their ancestors and where they are from.

I know exactly what you mean..I'm just a big mix of Western/Northern European and then, kinda randomly, I'm part Cherokee Indian!
America is still young, so there isn't that much ancestric history except from other countries. I find myself a little jealous of people who have a rich cultural background as you said..  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:16 pm
Give Me Heartache To Sing
GrimReapersRose

I know exactly what you mean..I'm just a big mix of Western/Northern European and then, kinda randomly, I'm part Cherokee Indian!
America is still young, so there isn't that much ancestric history except from other countries. I find myself a little jealous of people who have a rich cultural background as you said..

-Nods- I agree. I am German, Irish, Sweedish and Cherokee. I would like to know more about my ancestors in each of these groups, but because everything gets so jumbled about now, it is hard to find any information on them.  

Tsalagi1923

Enduring Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Friendly 100

nightslipper

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm
um yea im not going to lie i got lost after like two sentences lol  
Extended Discussion!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff