Welcome to Gaia! ::

Strongbadia - A Homestar Runner.com guild

Back to Guilds

We are a Homestar Runner.com guild dedicated to the awsomeness of Strong Bad! 

Tags: Strong Bad, Homestar, Runner, Strongbadia, Trogdor 

Reply Strongbadia - The guild dedicated to Strongbad and the others
Anime Reviews

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:42 am
Gundam and I have done a few reviews of Anime here. Since this is a guild about Strongbadia, they don't really belong here, but we put in too much work to just delete them, so I'm going to condense them all here in this thread.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:43 am
Soultrain
Quack Experimental Anime Excel Saga.

Genre: Comedy/Just Plain Weird

Rating: 17+ (Contains animated violence, strong language, nudity, blood, adult content, should I go on?)

Created by: Koshi Rikdo / Shonen Gahosha * Victor Entertainment

Dubbed by: Victor Entertainment/ADV films

Favorite Quote: (from the copyright warning - really!)

" ILPALAZZO IS WATCHING YOU!

The contents of the Excel Saga videogram are licensed for private home viewing purposes only and are protected under the terms of both U.S. Code (Title 17, sections 510 and 506) and the 1998 ACROSS treaty (AKA Don't Toucha My Toot-toot Pact).

Under the express orders of Ilpalazzo, supreme leader of ACROSS, any unauthorized duplication, public screening or use of the packaging as a coster, musical instrument or contraceptive device is strictly prohibited, and will be dealt with in the most severe manner possible, most probably invloving chicken feathers, cod liver oil and a very, very depraved walrus."

Excel Saga is a very strange Anime. The story to follow the misadventures of Excel Excel, who is insane, as she serves in the secret organization ACROSS. Like many secret organizations, ACROSS is trying to take over the world, starting with the city of F. Weirdness ensues.

Each episode parodies a different genre of anime or pop culture, from space epics to teen dramas to horror to magical girl and then some. Though the episodes seem to unconnected, there is a plot advancing throughout the series, though it seems to go in whatever random direction it feels like. You might get turned off by it's randomness, but keep in mind, this isn't Gundam Wing or Cowboy Bebop.

There are alot of inside anime jokes made during the series, and the more you know about anime in general, the more of them you'll get.

Other main characters include Hyatt, Excel's partner in crime. Hyatt dies almost every episode, but unlike Southpark's Kenny, Hyatt doesn't stay dead for long, and she comes back to die again and again in the episode. Hyatt and Excel serve Lord Ilpalazzo, the leader of ACROSS. Excel has a major crush on him, but he is much more intrested in Hyatt. Also in the cast is the most unlucky man in the world, Pedro, who rarly interacts with the other main characters, being in little clips at the end of each episode, which usually end with him screaming 'NOOOOO!' Then you have Menchi, Excel's dog/emergancy foodstuff. There are many other characters, but I'm getting tired of typing.

Characters: D ~ Due to the odd nature of this series, the characters are not explored.

Visuals: B ~ The animation style changes often depending on the gag, but it's not distracting.

Music: C ~ The music doesn't really stand out.

Story: - ~ I felt it wouldn't be fair to grade this series based on story, due to it's randomness.

Good point: It's weird and funny. And I picked it up for $58 for the entire series. That's less then I paid for the first four disks of Tenchi GXP.

Bad point: It's weird and funny. It's not be for everyone. Excel talks about a million miles an hour, and can get annoying.

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:45 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:49 am
GundamEpy0n
fav series wuote: "How come i must know, where obsession needs to go" - from the opening song "Obsession"(click to see the lyrics)

age rating: 14+ (some scenes of violence and a deep plot)

number of episodes: 26 + 1 recap

Creator: bandai visual
dubber: bandai (yep the dudes who also dubed gundam wing, gundam seed, cowboy bebop, trigun and unlike FUNimation BANDAI ACTUALLY MAKES GOOD DUBS!"

Well first off i gotta say, .hack//sign is my new favourte anime

.hack takes place mainly in an online internet game named "The World" This is a massevely multiplayer online game where thousands play together in a game with no true story but the players create their own stories.

The story starts when the main character named Tsukasa (silent T) wakes up in this online game and is unable to log out, or leave the game. He is also able to feel smell, taste etc in the world as if it was the real world. Soon after his awakening he meets a few friends first was Mimiru. Now there are people who go into the world and just see it as a game, nothing more than a method of entertainment, but there are some people who see the world as an escape from the horrors of the real world. The real world is not shown much within the series but whenever it is shown it is allways dark like black and white and edges are allways a bit fuzzy, i think the animators are trying to show here that the real world is not something desirable. But anyway soon after meeting mimiru (and leaving mimiru without saying a word) he comes to the entrance of the dungeon where he woke up and ran into "silver knight" who happens to be a high up person in a player created group called the crimson knights, these crimson knigths ARE NOT moderators or administrators they are just a band of normal players who go throughout the world investigating and making sure no illegal activities such as hacking are taking place. But anyway silver knight questions Tsukasa because it has become awarent that he has recently come in contact with a character who looked like a cat, this character is obviouslly hacked. and when Tsukasa is attacked by the silver knight Tsukasa does not reveal any information cause since he woke up he could not remember anything besudes some things about the world. Tsukasa is attacked and this monster appears out of nowhere which not only has the power to kill a character in the game but can in fact place the player in the real world into a coma

This monster becomes a serious issue umong the silver knights and on "message boards" for the game (you know what a message board is, Gaia is a message board) and people speculate that it is a legendary item called "the key of the twilight" which is in fact an item that goes above the rules of the game.

Tsukasa soon meets with the chat character and he/she (no clue what it is it never speaks a word, well it's mouth moves but we the viewer can't hear what it says but Tsukasa can.) this cat character takes Tsukasa to this area where there is a this girl floating above a bed which we later learn is aura a program created within the world, but this girl seems to be alseep and never wakes up (untill the last episode) here in this area Tsukasa hears a voice and thinks of the voice as his mother who passed away.(i know i said earlier that Tsukasa can't remember anything but some of his older memories come back to him, they are given to him by this voice). after this meeting some would assume that this voice is a helper but it has ulterative motives, you learn this when it says this line

"Hope is the best spice to bring out dispair."

What the voices true intentions are also unknown for awhile i will not reveal them here cause i do not like spoilers. but anyway after awhile the crimson knights capture Tsukasa using the help of Crim, crim is an extemely high character who has the speed to dodge Tsukasa gaurdian, and with crims help Tsukasa is captures and questioned, in the prison he is meet with Subaru, who in turn ends up falling in love with Tsukasa and much of the story revolves around the 2. And Tsukasa has a huge secret about his true identity and subaru also has somehting secret about her identigy also. Pm me for the info i won't put the spoiler here.

There are many more characters such as bear who acts like a wise father figure in the series you learn that he is a father, you meet BT who is a female wavemaster(Tsukasa is also a wavermaster, wavemasters are bascially magicians), and a male assassin named sora, sora is a player killer and is also a kid, he's arrogent and is seeking the key of the twilight as well, he will often doublecross those who help him and at the end of the series for punisment for betraying the voice and allowing Tsukasa and suburu to leave he reveives a grave punishment which i do not believe he deserves.

note: if you want me to spoil any of the story or have any questions since i know my review this week is ofely crappy since there is a hell of alot to say about this series please private message me and i will answer your questions about the series to the best of my abilities

ratings

Story: 10/10 i really enjoyed it, there are alot of talking not much action but the story is deep with a multitude of plot twists and turns that allways keep you guessing, the ending is a little sad if you know what happened but also a little happy, wraps up nicely but has a few questions left over, but overall it is a really great story.

visuals: 10/10 i really enjoyed the art syle and the character designs and how the real world is presented, alot of thought was put into this and payed off

sounds : 12/10 the ost(original sound track) is in my opinion amazing, i actually listened to the music before i watched the series, i enjoyed the ost and got even morew enjoyment after i watched the series, the music often sets the correct modd in the series and the lyrics are really REALLY good in terms that they can be though provoking and quite moving

Characters: 11/10 many great characters each unique in their own way and all haveing a past, lots of thought was put into the characters, and interact with eachother nicely. really nice

overall : 15/10: i really enjoyed this series it is now reigning king on my list of favorite animes, and will prob be there for some time. only anime without giant robots that manaed to reach that point. a truely amazing series and a great addition to any anime lovers collection. if you love anime and don't have this series i only have 1 spec of advice for you GET IT NOW

and P.S. i amd aware of the .hack games and how the same character sprites are used but the .hack games have to my knowledge no story connections with .hack//sign and are actually another story within the same world. same fors with .hack//dusk aka .hack//ledgend of the twilight bracelet.

(if i have time i'll put some pictures up over the weekend)

Soultrain
Gundam's review edited for clarity:
GundamEpy0n
fav series quote: "How come I must know, where obsession needs to go" - from the opening song "Obsession"(click to see the lyrics)

Age rating: 14+ (some scenes of violence and a deep plot)

number of episodes: 26 + 1 recap

Creator: Bandai Visual
Dubber: Bandai (yep the dudes who also dubbed Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and unlike FUNimation BANDAI ACTUALLY MAKES GOOD DUBS!"

Well first off I gotta say, .hack//sign is my new favorite anime

.hack takes place mainly in an online game named "The World" This is a massively multiplayer online game where thousands play together in a game with no true story but the players create their own stories.

The story starts when the main character named Tsukasa (silent T) wakes up in this online game and is unable to log out, or leave the game. He is also able to feel smell, taste, etc. in the world as if it was the real world. Soon after his awakening, he meets a few friends. The first was Mimiru. Now there are people who go into the world and just see it as a game, nothing more than a method of entertainment, but there are some people who see the world as an escape from the horrors of the real world. The real world is not shown much within the series but whenever it is shown it is always dark, like black and white, and the edges are always a bit fuzzy. I think the animators are trying to show here that the real world is not something desirable. Soon after meeting Mimiru (and leaving Mimiru without saying a word), he comes to the entrance of the dungeon where he woke up and ran into "Silver Knight", who happens to be a high up person in a player created group called 'The Crimson Knights'. These Crimson Knights ARE NOT moderators or administrators, they are just a band of normal players who go throughout the world investigating and making sure no illegal activities, such as hacking, are taking place. Silver Knight questions Tsukasa because he has become aware that Tsukasa has recently come in contact with a character who looked like a cat. This character is obviously hacked. Tsukasa is attacked by Silver Knight because he does not reveal any information since when he woke up he could not remember anything besides some things about the world. Tsukasa is attacked and this monster appears out of nowhere which not only has the power to kill a character in the game, but can in fact place the player in the real world into a coma.

This monster becomes a serious issue among the Crimson Knights, and on the message boards for the game, (you know what a message board is, Gaia is one) people speculate that it is a legendary item called "The Key of The Twilight," which is in fact an item that goes above the rules of the game.

Tsukasa soon meets with the cat character and he/she (no clue what it is it never speaks a word, well its mouth moves but we the viewer can't hear what it says but Tsukasa can) takes Tsukasa to this area where this girl is floating above a bed, which we later learn is a program created within the world. This girl seems to be asleep and never wakes up (until the last episode) here in this area. Tsukasa hears a voice and thinks of the voice as his mother who passed away. (I know I said earlier that Tsukasa can't remember anything but some of his older memories come back to him, they are given to him by this voice). After this meeting some would assume that this voice is a helper, but it has ulterior motives, you learn this when it says this line:

"Hope is the best spice to bring out despair."

What the voices' true intentions are, are unknown for awhile. I will not reveal them here because I do not like spoilers. After awhile, the Crimson Knights capture Tsukasa using the help of Crim. Crim is an extremely high character who has the speed to dodge Tsukasa's guardian, and with Crim's help Tsukasa is captured and questioned. In the prison, he meets Subaru, who in turn, ends up falling in love with Tsukasa and much of the story revolves around the two. Tsukasa has a huge secret about his true identity, but so does Subaru. PM me for the info, I won't put the spoiler here.

There are many more characters, such as bear who acts like a wise father figure, BT who is a female wavemaster (Tsukasa is also a wavemaster, wavemasters are basically magicians), and a male assassin named Sora. Sora is a player killer who is also a kid. He's arrogant and is seeking the Key of The Twilight as well, and he will often double-cross those who help him. At the end of the series he receives a grave punishment for betraying the voice and allowing Tsukasa and Subaru to leave which I do not believe he deserves.

note: If you want me to spoil any of the story or have any questions (since I know my review this week is awfully crappy since there is a hell of a lot to say about this series), please private message me and I will answer your questions about the series to the best of my abilities.

ratings

Story: 10/10 I really enjoyed it, there are alot of talking but not much action. The story is deep with a multitude of plot twists and turns that always keep you guessing. The ending is a little sad if you know what happened, but also a little happy. It wraps up nicely but has a few questions left unanswered, but overall it is a really great story.

Visuals: 10/10 I really enjoyed the art style, character designs, and how the real world is presented. A lot of thought was put into this and it paid off.

Sounds: 12/10 The ost(original sound track) is in my opinion amazing. I actually listened to the music before I watched the series. I enjoyed the ost and got even more enjoyment from it after I watched the series. The music often sets the correct mood in the series and the lyrics are really, REALLY good in that they can be though provoking and quite moving.

Characters: 11/10 Many great characters, each unique in their own way and all having a past. Lots of thought was put into the characters, and they interact with each other nicely.

Overall: 15/10: I really enjoyed this series. It is now reigning king on my list of favorite animes, and will probably be there for some time. It is the only anime without giant robots that managed to reach that point. .hack is a truly amazing series and a great addition to any anime lover's collection. If you love anime and don't have this series, I only have one speck of advice for you. GET IT NOW!

P.S. I am aware of the .hack games and how the same character sprites are used, but the .hack games have to my knowledge no story connections with .hack//sign and are actually another story within the same world. Same for .hack//dusk a.k.a. .hack// legend of the twilight bracelet.

(If I have time I'll put some pictures up over the weekend)

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:58 am
GundamEpy0n
favorite searies quote: Ecchi Nano Wa Ikenai To Omoimasu (i think all dirty/perverted thoughts are bad!!)

Show rating 17+ scenes of violence and brief nudity.

Creator: Gainax (yep the same guys who did neon genesis evangellion and flcl)

Genre: Comedy, romance, drama, action

Review: Well where to start...Well i suppose i'll start before season one. In the late 90s an alien force known as Saint attacks the planet earth. but no one on earth really knows about Saint because a secret organization known as Vesper has managed to contain the combat to small parts of the world and completly stoped all media from relaying any information about the Saint aliens. Now this is where the story's main character Mahoro fits in, Mahoro is Vespers one and only combat android, she was created just for war and she is earth's storngest fighter against Saint. After completing her last mission she is given a choice, either she can continue fighting untill her power supply runs out in about 30 days, or enter retirement take off her armor and live for another 350 days. She takes the path of retiremenr and takes up a job working for Suguru Misato as a maid.

Now Suguru Misato is the oter main character within this series, both his parents died while he was still quite you8ng and he has been living on his own for quite some time. His cleaning skills are so horrable that his house has been dubbed as "the haunted house". So he hires a maid, Mahoro, but the meeting of mahoro and Suguru was not a cowincidence either. Suguru's father was actually the commander of the secret organization known as Vesper and Mahoro's superiour. But Suguru doesn't even know this. Suguru may seem like an average kid but his jude of charactrer and leadership skills are flawless, he demonstrates throughout the series that he is willing to put his life on the line for others.

Mahoro's charater is a bit odd, her personality is quite differnt from what you would expect it to be from being a combat android, she is quite friendly and sings her own made up songs, she gets quite jelious of suguru's leecherous teacher who allways seems to want to have sex with suguru but never does, mainy cause suguru's teacher has large breasts while Mahoro...anyway she seems to have skills to do anything including everyont from cooking to cleaning exceptionally well. she also still has ties with Vesper so she is able to call upon assistance from them, Slash a huge black android panther gets sent from Vesper to watch gaurd over mahoro and suguru, Slash is the name of this android and is a personal friend of Mahoro's from the days of the war, he knows all about the situation surround suguru's father's death aswell.

There are opther characters within the series aswell which happen to be Suguru's friends, his three female friends who allways hand around together all seem to have crushes on him, his leetcherous teacher who is also an alcoholic allways wants to sleep with suguru and often comes to suguru's house to "watch over him" cause she beleives him and Mahoro are sleeping together, but her true intent seems to be to make Mahoro further jelious and to eat their food, it seems she spends all her money on booze. Suguru's two male friends seem to end up having a crush on Mahoro for about 1 episode but one of his friends seemt o fall in love with Minawa another android

Minawa was first introduced in seaon two as an android who was created by another secret organization named Management. Management is a top secret orginization who's intent is to control the path of the planet, all wars, assassination of presidents, important events is strictily controled by them, they are unknown through the world only select people know. Minawa is another female android who seems to have no emotions, She is searching for a heart. and she ends up living with Suguru and Mahoro and becomes Mahoro's little sister. her motives are unknown untill half way through the series.

Characters:10/10 overwall nice character interactions, everyone had a differnt personality, and there were qutie alot of them. ANd note this is he frist anime i've ever seen a Female get the "nose bleed" effect.

Sights: 10/10 Very colourful, while some scenes god dark and moody, really set the athosphere quite well

sounds: 10/10 pretty nice soundtrack i enjoyed it, and the voice actors in the dub and sub were really nicely done.

Story:10/10 It'll make you laugh and make you cry, and it will keep you on the edge of your seat, and wraps up quite nicely everything you'd want from an anime show.

Overall 10/10Mahoromatic is a great series to add to anime fan's collection. The series displays quote alot of emotion of make me laugh on numerious ocasions, the ending is quite a shock so be prepared.

now for some screenshots...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
a set of some scenes from season one opening. and note Mahoro has dark blue allmost purple hair...ya gotta have blue hair.

Yep she cans top bullets with her hand

using combat techniques to cook

Part during season one credits when Mahoro says her favorite line "Ecchi Nano Wa Ikenai To Omoimasu"

This is a part of the opening for season 2 where mahoro is standing thinking of all the characters with minawa standing in the background. here she's thinking of Suguru, but he managed to find some porn so mahoro is a little pissed.

Same opening just this part is of the letcherous teacher, once again mahoro gets pissed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:36 pm
Im confuzzled... crying  

Kairi_12

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:38 pm
Kairi_12
Im confuzzled... crying

About why there are anime reviews in a Strong Bad guild?

......It seemed like a good idea at the time sweatdrop

Maybe we should take these down......  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:20 pm
Well, I dunno...if anyone has a sudden craving to look up an anime review but doesn't feel like leaving the guild, they can, uh....

^_^;; Maybe you should take it down.  

StuffGal

Soultrain
Captain

Charitable Genius

10,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:48 am
I could re-write these (at least mine) to be like Strong Bad or some of the other H*R characters reviewing these.  
Strongbadia - The guild dedicated to Strongbad and the others

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games