Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
College is crazy expensive! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you pay for college(or will pay if not currently in college)?
  I work and pay as I go
  My parents pay for it
  I work for a while and then go to college full time
  College? Who needs it!
  I'll pay for college with the gold I get from polls/I don't know
View Results

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:19 am
Fen_Lauba
Anime Duncan
I'm a junior in college, and I just transferred into a bigger college and it is FREAKING EXPENSIVE eek !! It's insane! Luckily, my parents agreed to pay for my first 4 years of college. If that wasn't the case, there is no way I could afford to go. And the college isn't even expensive compared to the really rich colleges.

Is it just me, or are college students getting screwed over big time?

I guess the idea is that when we get a great job with our fancy degree we will make back the money we paid and more...

Although I keep hearing a B.A. is not enough anymore sweatdrop

<3 Fen

Well, I guess it depends on what field you want to get into, and how much you enjoy academics.

Having been in the working world for a while, I can tell you that an MBA is worth getting. That's what all the supervisors, administrators, and operations managers have. If you're not the leadership sort and don't mind working for others, then a Bachelor's or an AA/AS is just fine for an office job.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:32 am
Jshin
jeoc
Colleges are spending too much on athletics and overhead and passing the bill on to the students. U of M is proposing a nearly 1/4 billion dollar project for its stadium when it has been raising tuition significantly. does this seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?

Not really, colleges generally have those projects funded by by their football programs. And athletic programs can actually be helpful to universities, especially when it comes to undergraduate recruitment (eg. OU wouldn't attract as many students if it weren't for the success of its football team).

Although a 250 million dollar project is still pretty big. Sounds to me, though, that the fact that people are wowed into a college because of the sport program (when they're not participating in said program) seems to say something about our shallowness as a society, I think.

A good question I have is whether or not the original poster is also living in a drom on campus? My observation was that it could double-to-triple the cost? Although that was more or less the case here at the University Of Texas. Cost of living might be high in Austin and the cost of tuition might be low, though, so I don't know how much that would change in other universities in other locations. Hmmm...  

Nadian
Crew

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:49 pm
My husband and I are both attending a 40k school, and I have a 10k scholarship, and we got Cal Grants. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 am
I have a scholorship from the state for 75% and a 500 dollar local scholarship. I have to pay for my books though. I got a job as a student assistant in the Learning Lab as a financial aid help thing, but I don't get much. At least they don't take taxes or social security out of my pay.  

Ariana_Rosewood

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces