Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Creative Writing/Homework Help
My Short Story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

*waves**falls over*
  wtf?
  hi?
  *waves back**thinks what the heck?*
View Results

Winter_Tale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:41 pm
This isn't completely finished yet. Ill post the rest when I finish but read and let me know what you think. That and any grammatical errors.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:42 pm
Unexpected Love

“ Ren look out!”

“Damn it”, Ren cursed dodging another blade, shifting slightly she sliced her opponent’s side, “ Kyra! Are you alright?”

The wolf demon slanted her crystal blue eyes in Ren’s direction, “ Never better.”, then sliced her blade through another human. The battle was over, the humans were fleeing.

For a century the humans raged war with the Wolf and Fox demons here on the island in Synnekal. The bloodshed seemed endless, and the humans kept coming. The Jackal demons had convinced the humans that the Wolf and Fox demons were evil and only wanted to kill the humans. Of course this was a lie, the Jackals wanted the territory inhabited by Ren and Kyra’s tribes. They were peace loving people who had for thousands of years lived in harmony with the humans, but the Jackals had changed everything. The ground was soaked with blood, Ren could smell death everywhere human and demon. Many of her people as well as humans had fallen today, silently Ren mourned those slain.

Jarring her back to reality was Kyra‘s voice, “ Ren we need to get back.”

“Coming.”

Kyra looked at Ren concerned , “ You ok?”.

“Yea.”, the fox said, “ I’m fine.”

The girls headed up the mountain darkness enveloping everything on the island, soon the moon was high in the sky and the stars glowed brightly in the black sky. Ren sighed, the stars comforted her ,they lived in a world without war. She longed to join them as her family had several years before. Krya stopped and howled at the moon, her voice singing a haunting melody, slow and mournful. Ren knew that she was mourning for the fallen and her own family in her own way. Ren joined her in song and together they sang the chant to send the dead to the next world. When they finished they hiked the last quarter-mile to their village, the village lights flowed like fireflies in the dark. They smiled and ran towards the lights. They ran down the main path of their village, and turned left onto a side street, and opened a door and entered their home.

Tossing her bloody clothes into a basket Ren cheerily said, “ It’s good to be home.”

“ Sure is.”, Kyra replied, “ Beats a battlefield any day. Hungry?”.

“ Starving.”

Kyra set a pot on the fire and started dinner. Ren had been living with Kyra for nearly six years, since they both had lost their families in the Battle of the Talyr River. Both their families had been respected and well liked, and both girls had been trained well in the fighting arts ,often excelling where most boys their age had failed. The girls had been friends since they were young and now they were each other’s family. Ren depended on Kyra and Kyra depended on her. They kept each other sane, made each other laugh. Kyra served the warm soup, and together they sat by the fire quieting their hungry and not to mention noisy stomachs.

Kyra looked up from her bowl, “ Ren I have something I need to tell you.”

Ren gave her a look of concern, “ You know you can tell me anything.”

Quietly Kyra said, “ I’m getting married.”

Soup went flying from Ren’s mouth spewing all over the place, “ Who? When? And how come you didn’t tell me you had met someone.”

Kyra gave a sigh, then answered, “ I didn’t tell you because I would have to leave. It’s Galen, we’d been seeing each other for 3 months now, and he loves me and wants to marry me, and I sad yes because I feel the same way.”, Kyra’s eyes pleaded with Ren to understand, Ren held out her arms and Kyra jumped right in crying, “ I knew you’d understand. Oh Ren, I’ll always be here for you. Please don’t be angry and upset I’m sure Galen would let you live with us.”

Ren held her out and looked into Kyra’s eyes, “ No. You’re marrying the guy not me. My place is here and yours with him. Plus I don’t want to be asleep and here you two making a racket all night long.” They both laughed at Ren’s little joke, “ So when is the ceremony?”

“ Next week,” Kyra said smiling.

“ I want godchildren.”

“ You’ll have a million.”, they fell to the floor in a fit of laughing.

Their last week under the same roof passed quickly. Ren helped Kyra ready for her marriage to Galen with great enthusiasm. The day of the ceremony dawned bright and clear , and the whole village was to attend. After so much war, a wedding was a happy occasion for everyone. In the temple’s alcove, Ren helped Kyra into her wedding gown of white silk and placed a wreath of yellow roses on her friend’s head. The music started and Kyra walked down the path on Ren’s arm. It was a beautiful ceremony, and the bride and groom looked at each other with love and happiness as they said their vows when it was over they ran for the door. The whole village laughed at the couple’s eagerness to be alone, even Ren. Then Kyra ran back in and gave a Ren a kiss and hug, then shot back out the door. The villagers went home happy and sang love songs all the way. Ren whistled one of her favorite songs as she headed for the path out of the village. It was a nice day for a walk that and she didn’t want to return to her house yet. It felt empty without Kyra there. Ren started up the path and breathed in the fresh mountain air. She started to run, and she smiled as she ran faster and faster up the mountain.
Ren didn’t stop running til she had reached the top of the mountain. Aiera Mountain meant ‘mountain of the willow’ in the language of old that humans of the island had long forgotten, they called it Weeping Mountain. The willows at the top of the mountain gently caressed Ren as she walked among them. Their bright green leaves cool and silky to the touch. This was Ren’s favorite place in the world her father used to bring her up here whenever there was a standoff, and he’d tell her stories. Ren loved listening to his low gruff voice as he spun tales of warriors and battle princesses, monsters, spirits, gods and goddesses, and demons. She could still here his voice when the wind blew……..

“ There was once a beautiful princess of Fox demons, Asrial. She united all fox demons and ruled her land with peace and love. Asrial was betrothed to the Demon Lord Zane, but she did not love him so do you know what she did?”

“What Papa?”, she would say, her eyes bright with interest.

“ She challenged him to a fight. If he won she would be his bride, but if she won she could marry whoever she damn well pleased.”

“Did she?,” she’d squeak, “ Did she Papa? Did she win?”.

“ Hold on Peach, I’m getting there. Now Asrial faced Lord Zane and it was unbelievable. Fists went flying, but Asrial leaped into the air a dagger in her hand and she had him down on his knees, a knife at his throat. ’ Surrender?’ she asked him, and he nodded. She had won, Asrial had won the right to choose her mate. She won all maidens the right to pick their mates. Because of her my Peach you have the right to marry whoever you want.”

Ren felt her eyes sting with tears, she missed him. No one else called her peach, and had believed in her like he had. She felt like she could save the island when he was alive. She hated what the war had taken from her, but the war would not destroy the willows not as long as she drew breath. For nearly six years no human had made it halfway up the mountain, and it would stay that way.

A sharp crack jarred Ren from her thoughts and her memories, she looked around and saw a shadow slumped against a tree. Should she run to the village and get help? What if it was a demon? Should she help it? Was it a jackal? Curiosity killed the cat, but what about foxes? She was being an idiot, she had survived surprise attacks before. Ren rose to her feet and quietly crept towards the figure. Whatever it was it had not stirred, Ren leaned forward and saw it was a demon, and he was a fox demon.

“ Hello”, she said quietly.

He startled, he wasn’t a full demon his eyes were human, “ Who the hell are you? I’m armed.”

Ren stepped back, “ Easy. You’re injured, my name’s Ren. I’m not going to kill you.”

He looked at the wound on his shoulder, “It’s fine, leave.”

Ren knew it was bad, it was bleeding profusely, “ Let me help you.” Why was she helping him? He was half human. What demon in their right mind would mate with a human nowadays?

He growled, “I said leave. I don’t need anyone’s help.” Then his eyes grew cloudy and he passed out.

“ Idiot.”, Ren murmured as she sat by him. Slowly Ren removed his shirt and cleaned the wound, and Gods how she blushed. It wasn’t deep and she applied medicine she always had at hand. It was night before he awoke.

He eyed her with suspicion, “ Why did you help me? You should hate me.”

“ I don’t hate you.”, she said honestly, “ Why should I?”

Anger and bitterness etched his voice, “ Demons hate I’m part human and humans vice versa. It’s not my fault I didn’t choose to be this way.”
“ Well, you may be part human but that’s not grounds to hate you.”, Ren smiled.

“Isn‘t it?”, sarcasm hinted in his voice. He looked feverish, his cheeks flushed and sweat beaded at his brow.

“It’s damp out here and it looks like you have a fever. Can you walk? I’ll get you to my house.”, Ren said holding out her hand.

“ No thanks.”, he said warily.

“ What you rather do, sleep in a warm safe place or sleep out here and be killed by human or demon.”, she said her voice daring him.

Glaring at her he said, “ Fine.”

Ren helped him to his feet, and as they walked he leaned on her for support. Lucky for Ren it was dark so he couldn’t see her blush. Gods, he was half human what was she thinking. She had to be going nuts, but he was so warm and smelled so good. They were almost home, she thought, just another minute or so and this guy would be in her house. They entered the house and he sighed in what seemed relief. Had he thought she’d take him to an execution lock or something? She put him in Kyra’s old bed, and stepped behind the dressing screen to change into her nightshirt.

“ Zane”, he said quietly.

She stepped out from behind the screen, giving him a puzzled look, “ Huh?”.

“ My name,” he repeated mumbling at the end, “ is Zane. Thought you might want to know, and thanks for saving me.” He rolled over and slept. Ren smiled at him, and got into her own bed. That night she fell asleep dreaming of Zane, this stranger who in a strange way she wanted to get closer to.

Ren awoke the following morning with sore muscles and a gnawing hunger. Zane as she looked over to his bed hadn’t yet woken. Quietly, she dressed in fresh clothes and set about making breakfast. She hoped he liked rice and strips of fish, that was far as her skill in cooking went. Pathetic yes, but Kyra had always cooked before so she had never thought to learn. Damn it, she thought, I should have paid more attention to what Kyra had tried to teach me. Gods what was she thinking? Why would she care if he thought her a great cook or not. Ren heard a small groan from the other room, Zane was awake and was heading towards her. When he entered Ren looked away to hide her blush at the sight of his bare chest.
“ Morning”, he said cheerily. He was smiling. It made him even more handsome.

“Morning”, she replied giving him a small smile, “ Need a shirt?”

He looked down and turned red even his chest was cherry colored, “ Yea, mine was too torn to hold together.”

Ren motioned to the food on the small table, “ Help yourself to some breakfast. I’ll go see if I have something you can wear.”

He sat down and started eating while Ren headed down the hall to the small storage space at the end. She opened the trunk that held all her elder brother’s clothes in it. Mica had been Zane’s size so his clothes would be great. When she looked through them many happy memories came back to her. They had been so close she had always ran to him as a child when she was in trouble. Mica had taught her to dance and climb trees. Ren missed him so much, what would they be doing if he hadn’t died? She shook her head, she didn’t need to dwell on what could have been. Now was more important than anything, and Zane needed clothes. She gathered Mica’s sturdiest clothes and carried them to the kitchen.

Coming to a halt beside him she sat down, handing him the clothes, “ Here, I hope they’re ok.”

“ They’re great”, but he was suspicious,” Whose are these?”

“ They were my brother’s. He wouldn’t have minded.”

“ He’s passed on?”, he asked

“Yes”

“ I’m sorry,” he said genuinely.

“ It’s ok. He’s doesn’t have to fight anymore. Mica always hated killing. He was a dancer, but war made him a solider.”, her voice tinged with sadness.

Zane’s voice was soft when he spoke, “ Villagers killed my mother when I was nine. A human that couples with a demon has to die.”

Ren’s eyes widened in horror, “ Didn’t your father…”

“ He tried, but they killed him too. His tribe had exiled him for choosing a human mate. Neither side wanted me, and both tried to kill me. “, he told her.

“ My village won’t care. You’re part demon it makes you one of us. Demons need to stick together.”, Ren said with a smile.

“ I’ll believe it when I see it.”, he said stubborn to the core.

Ren sighed, “ Just put these on while I go clean up. “ She barely started washing the plates when she heard the soft thump of feet at the door. Kyra ran in a happy frenzy.

“Ren”, she called, “ Are you in here? I have to tell you about the wedding night. Wow, I haven’t been gone one day and this place is a mess. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!!!!”

Ren cursed under her breath and hurried into the other room. Kyra was in her warrior’s stance with her hand on her dagger. Zane was shirtless and his eyes were ice as if he too was ready to fight to the death. Ren glared at the two and said exasperated, “ Come off it guys. Zane this is my knife happy friend Kyra. Krya”, she pointed at Zane, “ this is my friend Zane. I met him on the mountain, he was hurt so I brought him here. Now quit looking like you’re going to kill each other.”

Kyra’s hand drew back and she smiled. Zane relaxed and his eyes returned back to that softer and much warmer blue. He returned her smile with a dazzling one of his own. He gave a small bow that Kyra returned. Ren sighed with relief, crisis averted. What the hell could Kyra be thinking right now? Ren ran to the fire and heated the leftover breakfast tea. When she came back Zane and Kyra were sitting across from each other in friendly conversation. She set the tea up in front of them, taking a cup of it for herself. Definitely a must in this type of situation for her, Ren was over stressed at this point from trying not to blush and to keep people from accidentally killing each other.

Zane looked at Ren, “Thanks for the tea, and for putting me up. I should be on my way though. Your village won’t like me here, and they’ll make you pay for it.”

“ You’re an idiot.”, Kyra said indifferently.

“Kyra!”, Ren said astounded.

Kyra looked at her inquisitively, “ What? He is if he’s only leaving because he thinks we’ll kill him.”

Zane looked at Kyra, “ I only speak out of experience. I don’t want to cause Ren any grief, and I’ll only get in the way.”.
Kyra glared, “ Stay pussycat. Give our village a week and then if it won’t work you can leave, think about it. You can have a safe place to stay awhile or run away and live in fear. It’s your choice.”

Zane blushed, stood up and headed for his bed, “ Fine, I’ll stay but I’m no cat.”

Kyra grinned as Zane left, then she looked to Ren, “ He’s cute when he’s mad. You gonna be ok with him staying here?”

“Yea”, she assured her, “ I’ll be fine, and stop saying he’s cute.”

“Okay, okay. Be careful Ren.”

“ I will”, she replied.

Kyra gave her an encouraging smile and left. Ren decided that now was just as good a time to have the village meet Zane. She headed into his newly acquired room where he was on the bed staring at the ceiling. Gently, she sat down at the foot of the bed. He raised himself to a sitting position, and they stared. She felt as if they were looking into each other’s souls. His emerald eyes enchanted her, he was beautiful. Then he looked away as if he dared not look any longer. Ren gave a small sigh and gave a small smile.

“Ready to give the village a try? The Moon Festival is tonight.”

Zane looked at her, then looked away, then looked at her again, “ Alright.”

She stood up and extended her hand, “ Let’s go then. “

Zane smiled and took her hand. They headed out into the twilight to the village square. The Moon Festival was the village’s biggest festival. Vendors with their wares laid out on carpets and in stalls for people to buy. Children ran in white, silver, purple, blue, and deep green kimonos from stall to stall or stopped for a story from one of the village elders. When the villagers saw Zane they ran over to welcome him. Zane’s eyes lighted up with happiness as he was hugged or shook someone’s hand. Ren was glad for him. She liked his face when he tried different foods like oranges and sweet rice balls. He bloomed, his personality in full bloom. Zane made her laugh with his jokes, and smile at his simple gestures. With him beside her, Ren was happy for the first time in many years. Around midnight the dancing began, Zane and Ren watched couples glide and jump around the platform. The lanterns glowed merrily as the music played on.

Zane looked at Ren shyly he asked, “ Want to dance?” He offered his hand to her, and Ren clasped it with her won silently accepting his offer.

Zane pulled her close as they started to dance. Ren felt the stares, but for once she didn’t care. She felt like she could do anything while she was in Zane’s arms. He twirled her across the floor as the music slowed. She felt like she was flying and never did she want to come down. But all magic no matter how wonderful ends after a time, with the sound of a bell the festival ended. Everyone slowly left and headed for their homes in the early dawn. Ren nearly fell as they headed home, that’s what she got for being up all night.

Zane gave her a concerned look, “ You ok?”

She gave him a tired mile “ Yea just sleepy.”

“ Then let me help”

“Huh”, she said, “ What do ya mean ?Whoa!” Zane picks her up and carries her the rest of the way while she slept. He placed her carefully in the bed and without her ever knowing placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

Zane stared at her for a long time his heart confused. This village was far more different than anything he had ever known. Then there was Ren, her kindness undid him. He let his walls down, he wanted to show that he wasn’t all bitterness and cold defense. Zane sighed and headed to his room. Last night had been the most fun he had had in years. Everyone laughed with him and shook his hand like being half human didn’t matter. Then dancing with Ren, she looked so beautiful when she smiled like that. He also liked holding her, NO! He couldn’t afford to get attached, for her own sake he’d have to leave. Though it couldn’t hurt to stay for awhile, he would need all the happy memories he could gather here to keep him going. He’d stay a month and no longer than that. Zane’s eye fluttered and finally closed as he drifted off to sleep.

Ren woke later that afternoon. Groggily, she got up from her bed and headed for the kitchen. She stopped at Zane’s door and looked inside. He was curled on his side in a deep sleep. Ren smiled, he looked like a little kid when he was asleep. She wanted to touch him, and tentatively pushed a lock of hair behind his ear. Zane mumbled causing Ren’s heart to speed up. She made a beeline for the door and ran into the kitchen For the next hour she busied herself with breakfast as she was setting the table Zane came in.

He came up and pulled her into his arms, “ Hello.”

She snuggled closer. It felt so good to be held by someone, “ Did you sleep ok?”

“Yea”, he pulled her closer, “ Ren is this ok?”

Was it? Should she let him? Love was pain, it only caused her heartache. To take the chance meant losing what was left of her heart, but maybe just maybe she’d have something forever. Ren looked into his eyes and found her answer. She stood on tiptoe and kissed him. He kissed her back with everything he had in him, his hands pulling as close as he could, their lips sealing a silent promise. When Zane ended the kiss they were gasping for breath, Ren rested her head on his ches and listened to his heart’s frantic beating

“ I’ll take that as a yes.”, he said breathing in the scent of her hair.

“I’ll say”, yelled an all too familiar amused voice.

“Kyra!”, they both yelled.  

Winter_Tale

KhaosZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:44 am
the story is really good i love it  
Creative Writing/Homework Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items