Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Movies, TV, Music, and more
Read, anyone? TEH STEPHEN KING TOO!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ace's p***s!? O_o
  Yes
  p***s!
View Results

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:49 pm
This is a multi-topic thread. But the two topics kinda fit together.

Well, I'm surprised at how much of the student body doesn't like to read. I mean, I realize not everybody like something, but so many ******** people say they hate books! And it's not just the "intelligence challenged" either. Many of my friends hate it.

Alright. So I read a book called Cujo, by Stephen King. When I look back on it, I have no idea how I got hooked. Most people would find it extremely boring in the beginning and many other places. But I just couldn't stop reading.

Now I'm reading Cell, also by Stephen King. I started yesterday. Not much has happened except for the explosion of many buildings, a man ripping off a dog's ear, mass suicide, a parade float ramming an ice cream truck into a four seasons at high speed, an old man in ripped clothes speaking gibberish attacking a man with a cleaver, the old man getting shot, mass suicide, a teenage girl biting deep into a woman in a power suit's neck and another teenage repeatedly smashing her head into a pole. .... Ok, so a lot happened so far, and I'm only a few chapters in. Tis a wonderful book so far. I don't know what it is about Stephen King books that hook me so much. He's becoming my favorite author already.

After Cell, I'm checking out 1408, the Fire Starter and Misery

So, if you have any other Stephen King books I might like, tell me.

Lastly, what is you're favorite book?

Discuss
arrow Stephen King
arrow Cell, if you've read it
arrow Favorite Book
arrow People and Reading
arrow Books in general
arrow Mindless Violence
arrow Ace's p***s  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:00 pm
Have fun reading Cell I finished that book just a little while ago and it was one that i just couldnt put down.

As far as other Stephen King books that are good I would recommend Insomnia or THe Stand (But both are EXTREMELY long). Also you might like some of his Richard Bachman books like "The Regulators"  

Snoopy McBeagle

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:07 pm
Cell is pretty good, especially considering it's one of his newer ones (I'm more a fan of his oldskool stuff).

Eyes of the Dragon is a great King book. The Stand, too. The Stand's probably my favorite. The Talisman is also excellent; I didn't get a chance to read the sequel, Black House, very much but it was good, too. And of course, I love 'Salem's Lot (vampire story - how could I not love it? heart ).

One of the things I love about King is how much his books tie in together, even if they're about completely different topics. He uses familiar characters, places, and themes to create his own universe across all (or at least most) of his books.

Is 1408 its own book now? I came across it with a collection of other King short stories in Everything's Eventual (by the way, the short story of the same name is one of my all-time favs). Another good story from that collection is Autopsy in Room 4. That one's a kicker =D

OH! Also from Everything's Eventual is another story I love, called Lunch at the Gotham Cafe. The maitre 'd (however it's spelled - the host of the restaurant) has a small but quite significant role, and he's so frikkin crazy...it's just a great story. A great, crazy story. =D

I could go on spouting about how much I love King stories, and which are awesome, but it'd be quicker to say which I advise you avoid, and that is Cycle of the Werewolf. It wasn't a bad story, but it was much too short, I thought.

I don't understand why people don't like to read. My bf is a non-reader, and he's not one of the "intelligence challenged" ones, either xD I just don't get it >.<

For other books, I love the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. His writing is spectacular, and the stories are great too ^.^  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:14 pm
i havent read very much by stephen king unfortunately, but in the summer holidays i intend to read a lot. I've been busy trying to get through the whole wheel of time series, it takes a while >.< 13 books i think, all of them pretty thick. but its an awesome series, if you have to put it down you always go back to it in the end. U just gotta know what happens xd

I used to really like the last vampire books, i cant remember who they were written by unfortunately, but id recognise the story if i read it. Very interesting books 3nodding

I feel bad for people who dont like to read, because it was always such a treat for me. Even when i couldn't read i would look at the pictures and make up my own story mrgreen but i guess everyone is different  

Iconised Ghost

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:29 pm
Sheer_Immortal
Cell is pretty good, especially considering it's one of his newer ones (I'm more a fan of his oldskool stuff).

Eyes of the Dragon is a great King book. The Stand, too. The Stand's probably my favorite. The Talisman is also excellent; I didn't get a chance to read the sequel, Black House, very much but it was good, too. And of course, I love 'Salem's Lot (vampire story - how could I not love it? heart ).

One of the things I love about King is how much his books tie in together, even if they're about completely different topics. He uses familiar characters, places, and themes to create his own universe across all (or at least most) of his books.

Is 1408 its own book now? I came across it with a collection of other King short stories in Everything's Eventual (by the way, the short story of the same name is one of my all-time favs). Another good story from that collection is Autopsy in Room 4. That one's a kicker =D

OH! Also from Everything's Eventual is another story I love, called Lunch at the Gotham Cafe. The maitre 'd (however it's spelled - the host of the restaurant) has a small but quite significant role, and he's so frikkin crazy...it's just a great story. A great, crazy story. =D

I could go on spouting about how much I love King stories, and which are awesome, but it'd be quicker to say which I advise you avoid, and that is Cycle of the Werewolf. It wasn't a bad story, but it was much too short, I thought.

I don't understand why people don't like to read. My bf is a non-reader, and he's not one of the "intelligence challenged" ones, either xD I just don't get it >.<

For other books, I love the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. His writing is spectacular, and the stories are great too ^.^

Oh god, all these books sound yummy. I'll be reading King for a while, I bet.

My favorite book is actually by Eoin Colfer. He's my favrotie author at the moment, but that might change.
The Supernaturalists. Favorite book yet. If you haven't read it, read it. i'd let you borrow it if you live near me.

Also, a great Colfer book is The Wish list. I plan to read it again soon, for I don't remember much but I know it was a great book.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:39 pm
Call me crazy but I'm not a Eoin Colfer fan. sweatdrop Artemis Fowl put me to sleep.

Yeah, art, people at my old school ALWAYS told me i read too much. and always said "what? is averaging a book a day too much?"

My friend lent me The Talisman, i'm going to read it after I finish the book I'm reading right now, Sunshine by Robin McKinley.  

MonsieurSponge

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 pm
EggaxSponge
Call me crazy but I'm not a Eoin Colfer fan. sweatdrop Artemis Fowl put me to sleep.

Yeah, art, people at my old school ALWAYS told me i read too much. and always said "what? is averaging a book a day too much?"

My friend lent me The Talisman, I'm going to read it after I finish the book I'm reading right now, Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

wow!? A book a day? I'm a really slow reader. I wish I was faster.

I can see what you mean about the Artemis Fowl books. The most recent one wasn't too great. I stopped reading after a little while. Try The supernaturalists or Wish List. They're great.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:51 pm
The Supernaturalists was awesome =D Ditto's cool ^.^

Haven't read The Wish List yet, but it's one I've thought about picking up from the library ^.^

Another one I like was Holes by Louis Sachar. Another good story with good writing ^.^

Egga - Nah, I won't call you crazy (thought about it, though xD). To each their own ^.^  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:01 pm
Sheer_Immortal
The Supernaturalists was awesome =D Ditto's cool ^.^

Haven't read The Wish List yet, but it's one I've thought about picking up from the library ^.^

Another one I like was Holes by Louis Sachar. Another good story with good writing ^.^

Egga - Nah, I won't call you crazy (thought about it, though xD). To each their own ^.^

Oh! A book you might like is one my brother suggested to me.
Monster, by Frank Peretti. Great book. The ending makes you incredibly happy for the monsters.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 am
You also might enjoy the Dark Tower series, it's pretty good, the ending pissed me off so much though.

As for why I don't read as much, it's not that I don't like to read, it's just that I don't really have the time to do it, but I do get around to it during school and stuff, and right now I am reading King Rat by James Clavell, it's the fourth book in his Asian Series, which up to this point I am loving, Shogun was excellent, Tai-Pan was good except for being slow in parts, and Gai-jin was pretty good as well.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Snoopy McBeagle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:56 pm
[Tsukasa567]
You also might enjoy the Dark Tower series, it's pretty good, the ending pissed me off so much though.

As for why I don't read as much, it's not that I don't like to read, it's just that I don't really have the time to do it, but I do get around to it during school and stuff, and right now I am reading King Rat by James Clavell, it's the fourth book in his Asian Series, which up to this point I am loving, Shogun was excellent, Tai-Pan was good except for being slow in parts, and Gai-jin was pretty good as well.

yeah i understand what you mean about not being able to find time to read, it sucks to try and squeeze it in between school and work.

Oh yes and also about the ending of the dark tower series my thoughts exactly.

If anyone gets a chance you should read World War Z its a book that just recently came out by Max Brooks. Its a history of the zombie war which starts about a year or two in the future and carries through the end of the war. Its actually really well written and quite interesting.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:59 pm
Snoopy McBeagle
[Tsukasa567]

yeah i understand what you mean about not being able to find time to read, it sucks to try and squeeze it in between school and work.

Oh yes and also about the ending of the dark tower series my thoughts exactly.

If anyone gets a chance you should read World War Z its a book that just recently came out by Max Brooks. Its a history of the zombie war which starts about a year or two in the future and carries through the end of the war. Its actually really well written and quite interesting.
World War Z was a pretty good book, but if you don't want to sit there and read a guy interviewing all sorts of people for an entire book, it's not really for you, also, if you aren't into zombies as well.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

churrlo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:08 pm
I have only read Carrie by him.... it was a pretty good book =o As for me I like fantasy books or that kind of stuff like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter... I like escaping from reality >.>  
Movies, TV, Music, and more

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games