Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply *Stickys Announcements & Site Info/Q&A*
Why aren't threads removed after a certain amount of time?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should threads be taken off after a certain amount of time in the forum?
  Yes. They should be removed after a set period of time.
  No. They should be left forever!
  I couldn't care one way or the other!!
View Results

carmelina1123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
I'm not trying to make trouble or anything, I'm just really curious and kinda feel like a dork for asking, but....... redface

If you're not supposed to post in threads over seven days old (I hope I have the correct amount of time here! redface ), why aren't these threads taken off? There are some threads that are 2 years old!

(I'd like to write a response to some of the old threads, but I'm afraid if I do, I won't be following the rules of the forum.) Any suggestions, comments, etc?!

Just wondering....... eek

Thanks!! 4laugh  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 am
Well, I probably don't have a good response, but I'ma try to answer xD Please bear in mind that this is just my personal view and is in no way an official guild policy, or anything resembling an official guild policy.

As new threads are posted, they bump the old ones off the end of the forum, so the old threads are basically "recycled".

In the main guild forum, accidentally posting in old threads isn't an issue - if it's on the first page of the forum, then it's probably an okay topic to post in. So, if you wanted to post in old topics, you'd have to go back a few pages to find them.

The subforums are very inactive, though. For this reason, you can have threads that are like six months old but still on the front page.

In the subforums, I know I tend to be a little more lax about necroposting when modding. If it's been only a couple weeks since the last post, or if the response is interesting/entertaining and adds something to the discussion (a new way to look at the topic, or fresh insight), then I usually leave it alone. This isn't an official rule or anything; just my personal modding style.

However, a lot of people post just for the sake of posting (like "I agree" or "I'm not into that"); they add nothing to the discussion. If posts like that are in a fresh thread, they're usually ignored in favor of the active discussion. However, if a thread is necroposted with a post like that, I for one tend to drop the hammer on that.

So basically, if you wanted to respond to an old thread, I would suggest making sure it's in a subforum, and also make sure that your post brings a new idea to the discussion. You might still get a warning, but you'd have a better argument in favor of your post.  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

carmelina1123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:34 pm
Sheer_Immortal
Well, I probably don't have a good response, but I'ma try to answer xD Please bear in mind that this is just my personal view and is in no way an official guild policy, or anything resembling an official guild policy.

As new threads are posted, they bump the old ones off the end of the forum, so the old threads are basically "recycled".

In the main guild forum, accidentally posting in old threads isn't an issue - if it's on the first page of the forum, then it's probably an okay topic to post in. So, if you wanted to post in old topics, you'd have to go back a few pages to find them.

The subforums are very inactive, though. For this reason, you can have threads that are like six months old but still on the front page.

In the subforums, I know I tend to be a little more lax about necroposting when modding. If it's been only a couple weeks since the last post, or if the response is interesting/entertaining and adds something to the discussion (a new way to look at the topic, or fresh insight), then I usually leave it alone. This isn't an official rule or anything; just my personal modding style.

However, a lot of people post just for the sake of posting (like "I agree" or "I'm not into that"); they add nothing to the discussion. If posts like that are in a fresh thread, they're usually ignored in favor of the active discussion. However, if a thread is necroposted with a post like that, I for one tend to drop the hammer on that.

So basically, if you wanted to respond to an old thread, I would suggest making sure it's in a subforum, and also make sure that your post brings a new idea to the discussion. You might still get a warning, but you'd have a better argument in favor of your post.

Okies!! I think I have a better understanding of how this all works.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I thought your answers were right on and they explained it all very well. If I can grasp it, anybody can!! 3nodding

Cheers!! 4laugh  
*Stickys Announcements & Site Info/Q&A*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff