Hickory Dickory...
  Dock!
  Jointing!
  стыковка!
View Results

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 am
We have this game in the Foreign Languages guild, and it's good for some laughs. Maybe it's only funny for us language geeks, but I hope not.

Anyway, everyone knows that those online translators like Babelfish are really, really horrible.

So, what you do: You start with words in English. Lyrics, quotes, and poems are all good to start with.

Like so:

English

Hickory, dickory dock! The mouse ran up the clock! The clock struck one, the mouse did run, hickory dickory dock!

Now, open up Babelfish (it's generally the best for comedic value), and enter your text. Translate it to some other language, and see what you get.

Russian
Hickory, dickory стыковка! Мышь побежала вверх по часам! Часы поразили одно, мышь побежали, стыковка hickory dickory!

Now, take the (undoubtedly garbled) translation, and translate it back to English using Babelfish.

Russian to English
Hickory, dickory jointing! Mouse broke into a run upward along the hours! Hours struck one, mouse they broke into a run, jointing hickory dickory!

One of the best examples I've seen is,

English
God
to Korean
And back to English...
Shoes

Yes, shoes. =D

So, have at it. Let's see how horrifically this "tool" can possibly mangle your favourite songs and nursery rhymes.

Note about special characters: If symbols and accents aren't showing up, try this:
-In your browser, go View -> Character Encoding -> and select UTF-8. Most characters and accents should show up for you.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:38 am
Crawling in my skin these wounds they will not heal. Fear is how I fall. Confusing what is real.

Kriechen in meine Haut diese Wunden heilen sie nicht. Furcht ist, wie ich falle. Verwirren, was real ist.

Do not creep into my skin these wounds heal it. Fear is, as I fall. Confuse, which is material.  

Large Inmate

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:56 am
Do not creep into my skin, these wounds heal it!! scream

With a German accent, that could be quite intimidating.

English

She sells sea shells by the sea shore.

Spanish
Ella vende cáscaras del mar por la orilla del mar.

Which somehow becomes, It sells rinds of the sea by the border of the sea.

...Mmm, rinds of the sea.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:55 pm
English
It's been since day one, That i have watched you. You are a beautiful spirit. Come and rest, and soon you will be safe back in my arms.
-something from my brothers funeral-

Japanese
それは日1 、私が見たそれ以来あってしまった。美しい精神である。来られて残りおよびやがてあなたは私の腕の安全な背部であり。

Translation
That day 1, was ever since that I saw. It is beautiful mind. You coming, remainder and you are the safe back section of my arm eventually.  

WhisperingSouls

Large Inmate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:06 pm
Lmao.
The safe back section of my arm!

Not once have I seen that look on your face, that look that tells me you're alright.
Forever I see a look, a look that never changes. I can't describe it in words, the best I come up with is this. A look that pleads with me to save you.

Greek translation.

Όχι μιά φορά βλέπω το ι που κοιτάζει στο πρόσωπό σας, το οποίο φαίνεται αυτό με λέει εσείς είναι εντάξει. Για πάντα βλέπω ένα βλέμμα, ένα βλέμμα που δεν αλλάζει ποτέ. Δεν μπορώ να το περιγράψω στις λέξεις, ο καλύτερος βρίσκω είμαι αυτό. Ένα βλέμμα που παρακαλεί με με σας σώζει.

No a time I see the I that it looks at in your person, which appears this me says you is all right. For I see always a look, a look that it does not change never. I cannot him describe in the words, best I find I am this. A look that it requests with with you saves.

Oh my god I couldn't stop laughing for the longest time. The first part is too hilarious.
A dirty mind really really helps with that.
Yeah, go undercover dirty mind attack!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:13 pm
Okay...I like this game  

WhisperingSouls

123456hi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 pm
English:I see dead people.
Chinese:我看見死的人民
Translated:I see the people which dies.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:19 pm
English: Why did the chicken cross the road? To get ran over by a car.
Chinese:為什麼雞穿過了路? 得到碾過被汽車。
Translated:Why has the chicken passed through the road? Obtains has ground by the automobile.  

123456hi

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:46 pm
I find that it gets really screwy when you translate to the Asian languages. xd

Original
Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band

To Italian
Trasformando l'amore con il suo ego Ziggy succhiato in su la sua mente gradisca un messiah del leper quando i capretti avevano ucciso l'uomo che ho dovuto rompere in su la fascia

...Oh dear God

Transforming the love with its ego Ziggy sucked in on its mind it appreciate a messiah of the leper when the kidskin had killed the man that I have had to break off in on you wrap it

Ziggy sucked in on it's mind, indeed. Kidskin?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:42 pm
My siggy.
English: But yield who will to their separation, my object in living is to unite my avocation and vocation as my two eyes make one in sight.

Dutch: Maar de opbrengst die aan hun scheiding zal, Mijn voorwerp in het leven moet Mijn avocation en roeping verenigen aangezien mijn twee ogen in gezicht maken.

English: But the turnover which to their separation, my object in living must my avocation and vocation unites since my two eyes in face make.  

pickle relish

Skrat_teh_Squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:01 pm
Hahah! I love this! Alright, here's my thing:

English
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life

Portuguese
Para o deus amou assim o mundo que deu a seu somente filho begotten que quem quer que acredita nele não perish mas para ter a vida everlasting

Back to English
For the god it loved thus the world that only gave to its son begotten that who wants that believes it perish but not to have the life everlasting

...Sounds Shakespherean.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:49 am
Maximus Decimus Meridius
On my signal, unleash Hell

To Greek
Στο σήμα μου, εξαπολύστε την κόλαση

Back to English
In my signal, you start the hell

Movie quotes, muahaha twisted  

Xanatos Forever

Xanatos Forever

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 am
King Leonidas
TONIGHT, WE DINE IN HELL!

To Japanese
今夜、私達は地獄で食事する!

Back To English
Tonight, we have a meal at the hell!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 am
English - Children's Song
Mister rabbit, Mister rabbit, your foot's mighty red. Yes, my lord, and I'm almost dead. Every little soul's gonna shine, shine, shine. Every little soul's gonna shine, shine, shine.

Français - Chansons des enfants
Lapin de Monsieur, lapin de Monsieur, le rouge puissant de votre pied. Oui, mon seigneur, et moi suis presque morts. Chaque peu d'âme allant briller, briller, briller. Chaque peu d'âme allant briller, briller, briller.

Back to English
Rabbit of Sir, rabbit of Sir, powerful red of your foot. Yes, my lord, and me almost died. Each active little of heart to shine, shine, shine. Each active little of heart to shine, shine, shine.

Well... the song that I have to teach is now a lot less morbid when it's translated...  

Sentama Lin

124-C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:06 am
Bob Dylan
Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.
Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.

Bob Dylan, in Dutch,
Hey! M. Tambourine Man, speelt een lied voor me,
ben ik niet slaperig en er is geen plaats ik aan ga.
Hey! M. Tambourine Man, speelt een lied voor me,
in de jingle jangle ochtend zal ik followin ' u komen.

Bob Dylan, back in English,
Hey! M. Tambourine man, plays a song for me,
is I sleepy and there is no place I to goes.
Hey! M. Tambourine man, plays a song for me,
in the jingle jangle morning I followin you will come.

RP/Game

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff