Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Learning New Skills Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you play an instrument
yes
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
nope
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 24

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:12 am

So im going to have some time on my hands in the near future, as i have my summer holidays coming up from november to about march. And i've always wanted to learn electric guitar. So i've started to look at my god there are a lot of guitars out there eek classical, acoustic, electric, electric acoustic, effects, bass...

So what i am trying to say is does anyone have any advice on learning to play electric guitar? And what to expect when learning it? And what type of guitar is good for someone who has never played guitar before?

And if you want you can also discuss:
-pursuing dreams
-learning new skills
-being confused about your options xp  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:15 am
id help but im all vocals and the guys i know that know how to play etc etc dont do gaia -.-  

Kugi Shottogan

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:46 pm
well, thanks for trying i guess xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:11 pm
if you need any help mate I play 6 different instuments which 2 of are guitar and bass so if you need help im here for ya  

Dameon the -V-

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:15 pm
would you advise a person who quit piano the day before the exam to ever pick up an instrument again?
should i start with acoustic or electric? I really have no interest in acoustic, but i have heard conflicting arguments about whether it is the best place to start or not
What's an effect guitar?
whats the difference between acoustic electric and just electric?

haha, well u asked for questions ^_^''  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:19 am
Um what to expect is your fingers feeling raw for the first hmmm... month. Or how ever long it takes your to grow calases. ^.^  

Lady Amica

xxKiria-Kunxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:28 pm
Since you take piano, you've got a head start on the guitar notation. All you have to do is start small, and practice until you have no need for sheet music, then move on to the next song. Expect hand aches if you decide to play songs that include palm muting (ex. The Hell Song- Sum 41). If you need tabs to read I suggest 911tabs.com. An effect guitar isn't necessary if you have an amp you can set. An acoustic electric is just an acoustic guitar you can plug into an amp to make the sound louder because you can't edit acoustic sound with an amp.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 pm
I'm all drums so, no idea.

sorry I couldn't help.

generic_boob

700 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Lily the Pink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:56 pm
I play the violin, so I guess there's a couple of similarities there. You have to be sure to hold it in the right position, keep your fingers exactly right for the chords, and yeah, expect pain from the strings and sore muscles.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:08 pm
cool thanks for all the help everyone!

@ EMC-Monkey: i played guitar xd and i wasnt very good at all. I tricked my teacher into thinking i could read music well by learning the song and pretending to read the music. Silly woman. I really hated those damn theory exams too, such a waste of time. Now i can figure it out if i start from C and count up the lines xd but any experience is good, experience right? Thanks for clearing up that stuff about the electric acoustic guitar too 3nodding  

Iconised Ghost

MissLysa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:08 pm
I play guitar hero lol. I tried to play guitar once, but my fingers are short and I couldn't really make a lot of the chords easily so I gave it up. So i'm not much help sorry. Good luck tho!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:34 pm
thanks ^_^ i really must try guitar hero. is it only for xbox?  

Iconised Ghost

xxKiria-Kunxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:49 pm
Iconised Ghost
cool thanks for all the help everyone!

@ EMC-Monkey: i played guitar xd and i wasnt very good at all. I tricked my teacher into thinking i could read music well by learning the song and pretending to read the music. Silly woman. I really hated those damn theory exams too, such a waste of time. Now i can figure it out if i start from C and count up the lines xd but any experience is good, experience right? Thanks for clearing up that stuff about the electric acoustic guitar too 3nodding

I never really could read notes, I just remembered the beat and tried to make my playing as close as possible....

GH is for the PS2 and XB360....  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:51 pm
yeah the only time i was motivated to learn to read it was when there was this smartass in my theory class and i wanted to bring him down a notch or 2 twisted

sweet, i have a ps2 ^_^  

Iconised Ghost

xxKiria-Kunxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 pm
Iconised Ghost
yeah the only time i was motivated to learn to read it was when there was this smartass in my theory class and i wanted to bring him down a notch or 2 twisted

sweet, i have a ps2 ^_^

It's pretty expensive because of the guitar though, but well worth the money.

I've tried bring the smart a** down... It's just to hard when you STILL can't read notation.....  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff