Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Superstitions in your family :D (New Poll) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have any superstitions?
  Yup
  Nope
  Maybe >:D
View Results

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 am
In my family I have two that my grandmother believed in.
One is that shells bring bad luck and the second one is that people who write with their left hand can't go to heaven.

Now I don't really believe either, but my grandmother did. My mother once threw away a big shell I found when I was a kid. It was a rare one and I took it home and days later I found out my mom threw it away because it was bringing us bad luck (at the time I found it my family suddenly got into some serious financial problems...I still don't think it was the shell's fault). The shell superstition my mom got it from my grandmother.

My grandmother also believed that if you wrote with your left you wouldn't go to heaven and my mother was a lefty as a child, but every time she would write with her left my grandmother would smack her hand and make her write with her right. My mom never enforced that one on me since she doesn't believe in it and even if she did she wouldn't have to since I write with my right hand anyway. domokun

So discuss:
Superstitions in your family
Bad/Good luck
How parents influence kids
That weird song "Superstition" (or whatever it's called XP)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 am
Brake a mirror 7 years bad luck  

alicard_666

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 am
we throw salt over our left shoulder if we spill any. 3nodding

we also believe that if i attend a university of kentucky football game, or watch it on tv, or listen to it on the radio, we will lose. crying sucks, but i'm extreme bad luck for the wildcats...

we DON'T believe in friday the 13th though, because i was BORN on a friday the 13th, and therefore its not a bad day. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 am
Hm let's see my mum is bad she will not walk under ladders [common sense lol], umbrellas being opened indoors a huge no no, we throw salt over our shoulders if we spill any. Some of my family only stir there tea or any hot drink one way because they believe stiring it anti clockwise allows passage for the devil to come through *shakes head*. My mum also believes that if you break a mirror you have seven years back luck.

As for me, i drive her wild, i open umbrellas indoors, walk under ladders, allow cats to cross my path [by the way a black cat crosses you actually are said to get good luck, if a white cat passes then bad, not the other way around], i stir my tea both ways haha drives them mental hehe.

i am a cow to all this i do throw salt over my shoulder though, if i spilt before might as well make the other side match wink

As for friday the 13th i am not scared of it even though at 3.13 on friday the 13th i was involved in a serious car accident and was rushed off to hospital that night and my mum was told someone was looking over me that night cause we were very lucky to come out alive. Even though i had that accident i still am not scared of it XD  

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:57 am
My friend's birthday (day 13) once landed on a friday and we all thought that was fun biggrin nothing bad happened.
Sucks that you had an accident, but you did come out lucky in the end as that someone said ^_^

For some reason I was reminded of that movie 23 I think The # 23 was it?
After that movie all my friends started seeing the number on everything (I told them that if they look for it they'll see it) I suck at math so I wasn't affected XD  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:23 am
lol looking back i can laugh XD

i do not hold nothing against that day XD

but it made me laugh as for some reason along the way a couple of hours before i thought what if we crash, talk about freaky.  

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 am
i dont think my family has any superstitions really. We open umbrellas indoors like theres no tomorrow. We dont watch air crash investigation though when someone we know or someone related is flying mrgreen but its not really because we think they're going to crash if we watch it, its because it makes us worry more  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 am
I don't let myself think about bad things that might happen for fear of them creeping up on me xp (I guess that's my superstition...)
I haven't really been through anything mayor (except for a car accident when I was little, but I only got like 4 stitches from it thankfully)
Great now I jinxed myself gonk  

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:48 pm
haha. staying positive is the key indeed.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:17 pm
Yes whee
All the classics were mentioned.
The black cat (or white), the walking under stairs, the salt, the broken mirror.
I think that I missed the stepping on cracks one though ninja  

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:32 pm
User ImageA sigh came out and that emotion that was transparent and glittering

Well, we just believe in classics I guess.. throw salt over your shoulder if you spill it, don't open an umbrella indoors, if you go opposite directions around/through something you have to say 'bread and butter' xd I haaaate that one lol

And my nephew loves stepping on cracks xd since he likes to, I guess it doesn't count.

was inlaid in my chest like a jewel and in the magic of the space-timeUser Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:07 pm
I LOVE STEPPING ON CRACKS....except when there's a plumber. Gross.

xd

Nah. My only superstition is that kangaroos are the root of all evil. ******** 'roos.  

Crimson Sonata

AcidRyu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm
Crimson Sonata
I LOVE STEPPING ON CRACKS....except when there's a plumber. Gross.

xd

Nah. My only superstition is that kangaroos are the root of all evil. ******** 'roos.

Plumber's crack... -looks at Ratchet and Clank suspiously- My superstition is that Sunkist will give you cancer and if the Cubs win a world series the end of the world will surely come. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm
We aren't uber superstitious, but, being part native American, we do have our certain superstitions. One of them is that if a bird flies into your window someone in your family will die. Um we burn dried sage around the house to bless it.

Actually, my grandma has been aloud to take and burn sage ((or do something of the nature)) around a plane before take off. My mom told me about that. It was crazy.  

Deimoz

Alienor Kaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:10 pm
Erm... we have quite a lot of superstitious sayings in my family, but just for conversation's sake, I'll just name two.

The first one pertains salt. If you have a bad dream and my mother happens to hear about it, she'll make you throw salt out of the window. This actually doesn't bother me at all, as it's kinda fun throwing salt out my window; not that I actually believe in this, of course. Also, we have to ceramic pots (the size of gloves) arranged at our front door to ward off evil and/or harmful spirits.

At various places, particularly our entrance and the door to my parents' master bedroom we have warding charms pasted up. It's basically red ink on yellow paper or something like that. And arranged at our windows my parents put up mirrors to scare off "bad luck."

Yep so there you have it. I'm not that superstitious, but these warding charm and methods do pique my interest as I do like listening to stories that go against the norm.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff