Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
I don't know s**t about your linux kernelz

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 pm
So today I was going to attend an ACM meeting (Association of Computational Machinery), but it turns out they canceled so we could all study for finals (though I don't study). Anywho, I decided to walk across the hall and see what the IEEE were up to (Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). I just walk in, and the president dude is there.

He's like "new guy, do you know anything about linux?"
Me: "Not enough"
Him: "Then get ready to learn, I'm giving you a project."

Apparently, now, it's my job to write a program for the server to control the security camera's recording, creating a new log every 20 minutes. Also, it has to communicate with the card reader on the door and display the identity information of whoever walks in.

Now I know absolutely nothing about writing scripts for linux.

Ever been in a situation like this?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:01 pm
Tell him:

"b***h THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM."

Seriously, finals week you should be studying unless you got all easy classes. I want you studying. -_- please? D:

If you're not in their group, you don't have to do anything. Unless you actually did sign up in which case I should smack you silly.

Dana Pixie Stix

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:05 pm
If you have no association with them, tell them to go ******** themselves and their Linux.

Because NOBODY likes a Linux.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 pm
Goddess Ace
If you have no association with them, tell them to go ******** themselves and their Linux.

That's why they have a Penguin.  

Dana Pixie Stix

Level Seventy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:11 pm
ha.
you should do it. it'll be good for you. Linux is pretty common. Mainly for code writing and hacking.
depends on what type of computer stuff you do.

Edit: oh and Penguins rock. simple as that. they. rock.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:40 pm
lol i hate it when that kind of thing happens. Once i said i would go with my friend to tell the sports co-ordinator that she wasnt going to coach this year, as moral support, you know. We both walked out with a team assigned xp  

Iconised Ghost

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:53 pm
.... use a windows script instead, although im pretty sure they already have a program or two for that kind of thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 pm
I myself am using Ubuntu Linux; its not too difficult to use, but I'm just a beginner when it comes to it, so I wouldn't be of help to you Trev, sorry. Linux is awesome though, its far more powerful than Windows not to mention the freedom with it is wonderful. ;D  

- S i r - D e m i -

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:51 pm
Goddess Ace

Afraid that's not the case.

I already pay $30 a year for a membership.
IEEE is like the society of awesomeness. Advantages > Work.

jfm567
.... use a windows script instead, although im pretty sure they already have a program or two for that kind of thing.

The only server we could get dedicated for this project is unix based, I'm afraid.
The school has several server clusters and 3 super computers. We don't run anything on our own hardware; instead, we ask the university to run it for us. Meaning I'm stuck with something that can be executed remotely through a unix shell.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:37 am
Teh Dana
Goddess Ace

That's why they have a Penguin.

*Hides Linux* (i named my pengu -_-)  

SakuChwan
Vice Captain

SakuChwan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 am
Awiergan Resurrection
Goddess Ace

Afraid that's not the case.

I already pay $30 a year for a membership.
IEEE is like the society of awesomeness. Advantages > Work.

jfm567

The only server we could get dedicated for this project is unix based, I'm afraid.
The school has several server clusters and 3 super computers. We don't run anything on our own hardware; instead, we ask the university to run it for us. Meaning I'm stuck with something that can be executed remotely through a unix shell.
Mac uses Unix as it's base operating system. (or it used to i believe) you could try getting a mac script and modifying it.

Edit: oh shiz did not mean to double post. Sorry! *facepalm*  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff