Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Religion's affect on Politics Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love?
  And Peace!!!
View Results

Ashon_Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:46 pm
Though church and state are supposed to be seperated by law old seemingly outdateed views seem to still be affecting current laws.
what say you?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:49 pm
I say that I'm a devout christian and they are neither OLD nor SEEMINGLY OUTDATED.

they are simply different from your views. Please do not imply that they are bad in any way because I find that rude.

Thank you.

- TSN

teh sexiful nerdy

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Ashon_Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:49 pm
Hmm should of checked my spelling...
any wasy i should add that politics really should be affected by religion because religion affects people and in return people affect politics.
Still though you can't help but feel that reigion's grip on politics can be alittle too strong at times.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 pm
sorry if i sounded rude. i guess i simply prefer to not really talk to more devout christians because honestly you can't win a arguement with a christian.
Hmm that may of sounded rude, however its simply that people in general are not as religious as they use to be. still though People need God.  

Ashon_Superior

teh sexiful nerdy

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:07 pm
1. do not double post.

2. do not try to incur favor by stating that everyone needs God.

3. Its alright but no, I do not have to agree that religion has too large a grip, except for Islam but that is simply because it is a religion of Hate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 pm
Complete separation of church and state are, in fact, impossible. Views on political actions will always be influenced by people's religions. We can't avoid that, by any means.

At the same time, people have no right to use their religion to govern other people, despite that some people believe their beliefs entitle them to.

The proper balance depends on who you ask, really.  

Awiergan Resurrection

Ashon_Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 pm
well you posted b4 i could get my original follow up post, but i'm not really trying to"incur favor" but i'm simply stating a truth. People find comfort in knowing that there is some thing/one(whatever) watching over them. it's just human.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:22 pm
why is it everytime i post while i'm typing some one else posts b4 i can finish, o'well.
Any way Awiergan Resurrection thanks for the input, i apreciate the comment.  

Ashon_Superior

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm
Ashon_Superior
well you posted b4 i could get my original follow up post, but i'm not really trying to"incur favor" but i'm simply stating a truth. People find comfort in knowing that there is some thing/one(whatever) watching over them. it's just human.

That's bullshit.

If I were standing outside your window, watching you, I doubt you'd feel very comfortable.

I believe in God, 100%. There is no question in my faith; however, I am not necessarily pleased with the fact that God exists. I have a highly competitive nature, and have never liked the idea of being locked into any existence.

Personally, I have a deep passion for humanity. Assuming I go to heaven after death, I doubt I'll enjoy it nearly as much as earth. Immortality is a sacrifice of what makes us human. Biblically speaking, the ability to die, sin, suffer, and make moral decisions is taken from us if we choose salvation. When I chose a Christian salvation, I was too young to comprehend exactly what I chose to give up.

From my perspective, God isn't a decision people make. It's their only choice if they wish to live. But it comes at a high price, that most people fail to consider. But to those of us who actually consider the value of humanity, God is hardly comforting.

Please, don't say God is comforting. God is a ruler, who forces you into an agreement of infinite servitude in exchange for eternal life. While God may be comforting to those who fear death, he is terrifying to those who embrace the right to die.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Ashon_Superior
I'd have to disagree. You're making a generalization, and as a rule, most generalizations are wrong. I know people who are quite fine not thinking about anything spiritual whatsoever.

As for the rest of it. I realize that as a general rule people's religious views will affect their beliefs in politics. However, the idea behind the separation of religion and politics isn't to do away with that, but to try to get those in power to realize that not everyone holds their religious beliefs and so cannot always be justly subjected to their religions rules and such. It's not that we don't want people's beliefs to conflict or come into contact at all, it's just that we don't want anyone's inherent rights infringed upon. Everyone has the right to believe how they believe when it comes to spirituality, and this should only be affected by government when these beliefs actually harm someone else. (And in that area, I don't care what people say, being OFFENDED by something in a religion or other area of belief does not count as actual harm. Now if someone is actually tying you up to sacrifice you to their god/gods/nextdoor neighbor's cat, THIS is harm.)

As for the Islam thing...I'm not even gonna touch that with a 60 foot candy cane...  

YukaSilkenFur

- S i r - D e m i -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Awerigan is right though, chruch and state can't be separate entirely. Though, I believe that you use of religion in politics should be limited to the max. Let's face, if Federal government choose a lot of its actions upon Christian views, there would be many unhappy Americans. =/  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 pm
- S i r - D e m i -
Awerigan is right though, chruch and state can't be separate entirely. Though, I believe that you use of religion in politics should be limited to the max. Let's face, if Federal government choose a lot of its actions upon Christian views, there would be many unhappy Americans. =/
I whole-heartedly agree. Despite what some of the "major" religions think, a large percent of America's population actually comes from other religions. A good deal of these people are simply keeping quiet to avoid the persecution that, sadly, still occurs.  

YukaSilkenFur

Ashon_Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 pm
Maybe i do tend to speak to generaly. Still what I had meant to say was people find comfort in know in there is some thing to "save them". Like when you learned ride a bike you probably didn't wasnt you parent/gaurdian to let go. that is what i meant. sorry gotta go byez!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm
YukaSilkenFur
- S i r - D e m i -
I whole-heartedly agree. Despite what some of the "major" religions think, a large percent of America's population actually comes from other religions. A good deal of these people are simply keeping quiet to avoid the persecution that, sadly, still occurs.
Yup that's right. Fortunately, there is an amendment that states the separation, and that's been around for a loooong time.  

- S i r - D e m i -

YukaSilkenFur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:50 pm
Ashon_Superior
Maybe i do tend to speak to generaly. Still what I had meant to say was people find comfort in know in there is some thing to "save them". Like when you learned ride a bike you probably didn't wasnt you parent/gaurdian to let go. that is what i meant. sorry gotta go byez!
that's still a generalization, though. Not all people feel a need for anything to save and/or protect them in anything, religion or otherwise. Some people are rather self-sufficient. They may like to have others there just to know that someone cares, but otherwise, they prefer to do things on their own and may even get annoyed if anyone tries to "save" them.

@ Sir-Demi: Aye, and such makes me quite happy. ^^ It may be far from flawless, but all government is like that. At least someone tried, though.  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff