Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Religion's affect on Politics Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love?
  And Peace!!!
View Results

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm
why does this have to be here? Religion is one thing that should never be discussed on any forum like this. gonk

All it does is lead to bickering and divides between friends over viewpoints that are not shared.

But, I do believe that religion is becoming too big of a deal in politics. I could go on and on about Roe v Wade, the candidate for president who was heavily scrutinized because he is a Mormon, or even the false accusations that Barak Obama is a Muslim. But, these points are moot since this topic is nothing more than opinions.

And while I do feel that religion has come too far into politics, there is really nothing that can be done about it. Seperation of church and state doesn't work because people base their judgement calls on what they believe, which in turn would mean that their morals that are taught to them by whatever religion they belong to will have some affect on their judgement. So, unless everyone jsut completely takes the moral problem out and just starts to judge things based on legality, which really is how it should be done, but I digress... nothing will ever be done about it.

@TSN: I'm sorry, but I would like for you to not refer to any religion as a religion of hate, because it is completely possible to turn that around on nearly any relgion and make that religion one of hate. And actually, by calling Islam a religion of hate, you are calling Judaism, Christianity, and any other religions that are based on the Old Testament of the Bible a relgion of hate, so yeah.

I just really don't like it when people talk bad about other religions...

Unless it's scientology, then you can shoot holes in that one all you want.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:24 pm
teh sexiful nerdy
1. do not double post.

2. do not try to incur favor by stating that everyone needs God.

3. Its alright but no, I do not have to agree that religion has too large a grip, except for Islam but that is simply because it is a religion of Hate.

Saying that Islam is a religion of hate is an ignorant statement....

Oh and Religion should not play any part in politics.  

angel_half82
Crew

YukaSilkenFur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:25 pm
[Tsukasa567]
why does this have to be here? Religion is one thing that should never be discussed on any forum like this. gonk

All it does is lead to bickering and divides between friends over viewpoints that are not shared.

But, I do believe that religion is becoming too big of a deal in politics. I could go on and on about Roe v Wade, the candidate for president who was heavily scrutinized because he is a Mormon, or even the false accusations that Barak Obama is a Muslim. But, these points are moot since this topic is nothing more than opinions.

And while I do feel that religion has come too far into politics, there is really nothing that can be done about it. Seperation of church and state doesn't work because people base their judgement calls on what they believe, which in turn would mean that their morals that are taught to them by whatever religion they belong to will have some affect on their judgement. So, unless everyone jsut completely takes the moral problem out and just starts to judge things based on legality, which really is how it should be done, but I digress... nothing will ever be done about it.

@TSN: I'm sorry, but I would like for you to not refer to any religion as a religion of hate, because it is completely possible to turn that around on nearly any relgion and make that religion one of hate. And actually, by calling Islam a religion of hate, you are calling Judaism, Christianity, and any other religions that are based on the Old Testament of the Bible a relgion of hate, so yeah.

I completely agree with you on the hate thing. I HATE hearing that...especially when the ones saying it about other religions generally belong to the one religion that holds many members that seem to want to make life "hell" for anyone of other religions.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 pm
No, we need to move this!

ASHON, there's a subforum for this kind of stuff! And it's not in General Discussion! If you can MOVE this thread and any other threads that involve politics or any deep serious issues.  

Hanku Royiaki

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 pm
Hanku Royiaki

ASHON, there's a subforum for this kind of stuff! And it's not in General Discussion! If you can MOVE this thread and any other threads that involve politics or any deep serious issues.

Why? The only other place it could go is extended discussion or the graveyard.

My vote would be the graveyard because I've seen this topic way too many times....  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 pm
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]

I completely agree with you on the hate thing. I HATE hearing that...especially when the ones saying it about other religions generally belong to the one religion that holds many members that seem to want to make life "hell" for anyone of other religions.
If you look at it, all religions are actually the same, just with a fresh coat of paint slapped on it or a few minor details added, so really, all religions hate themselves. biggrin  

tsukasa_the_quiet

YukaSilkenFur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:33 pm
[Tsukasa567]
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]

If you look at it, all religions are actually the same, just with a fresh coat of paint slapped on it or a few minor details added, so really, all religions hate themselves. biggrin
Um, not ALL religons. Some are actually QUITE different.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:39 pm
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]

I'm talking like, the really big ones that have millions upon millions of followers, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, ones like that. I am aware however that there are quite a few that are quite different. So I misspoke when I said all, I'll just blame me being tired and trying too hard to make a joke.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm
Hanku Royiaki

Unless there are citations, the discussion isn't srs bsns.

It's fine where it is. The REAL ED would never accept it, why should ours?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 pm
As religion has had such a huge influence socially and historically, its pretty impossible to remove it completely from anyone's life, let alone from politics. In my view, politics and laws should try to stay as neutral as possible. Of course, thats a very western view I suppose. Ask someone from, i dont know, the Middle East, and they might say that religion is critical to the running of a country

TSN, to say that you find it rude that someone would say that other views are bad when they are only "different from your views" and then turn around and say that Islam is a religion of hate is a bit hypocritical.

As far as the really big religions that have :millions upon millions of followers"- well there are 500 million Buddhists worldwide, and I would say that that religion is pretty different to christianity, Islam, or Judaism. Absolute statements fail (wait, isnt that an absolute statement >.<)  

Iconised Ghost

YukaSilkenFur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:55 pm
[Tsukasa567]
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]
YukaSilkenFur
[Tsukasa567]

I'm talking like, the really big ones that have millions upon millions of followers, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, ones like that. I am aware however that there are quite a few that are quite different. So I misspoke when I said all, I'll just blame me being tired and trying too hard to make a joke.
lol It's all right. I'm tired and I have smoke in my eyes--combine that with some people saying some rather ignorant things and I'm not much in the mood to joke or recognize jokes. But still, you have to realize that there are other religions that are growing in number, enough to rival the major religions; it's just that this isn't generally known, since these people really don't want anymore trouble than is necessary.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 pm
Iconised Ghost
As religion has had such a huge influence socially and historically, its pretty impossible to remove it completely from anyone's life, let alone from politics. In my view, politics and laws should try to stay as neutral as possible. Of course, thats a very western view I suppose. Ask someone from, i dont know, the Middle East, and they might say that religion is critical to the running of a country

TSN, to say that you find it rude that someone would say that other views are bad when they are only "different from your views" and then turn around and say that Islam is a religion of hate is a bit hypocritical.

As far as the really big religions that have :millions upon millions of followers"- well there are 500 million Buddhists worldwide, and I would say that that religion is pretty different to christianity, Islam, or Judaism. Absolute statements fail (wait, isnt that an absolute statement >.<)
Actually, the Buddhism thing is somewhat true, although it does share things with Christianity. In fact, some scholars believe that it's possible that during the missing period of the Bible, Jesus actually studied under Buddha, since the non-violent approach is shared between the two.

I do apologize for my absolute statement though, my bad.

@Yuka: Well, I do acknowledge that they exist and all, I suppose I'm just not kept up to date on how greatly their numbers have grown. sweatdrop  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:06 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost

Actually, the Buddhism thing is somewhat true, although it does share things with Christianity. In fact, some scholars believe that it's possible that during the missing period of the Bible, Jesus actually studied under Buddha, since the non-violent approach is shared between the two.

thats ok, at uni u get absolute statements beaten out of you. Now im an absolute statement nazi like the rest of them yay! Buddhism was just the biggest, most different one i could think of off the top of my head >.< there are probably better examples out there  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:12 pm
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost

thats ok, at uni u get absolute statements beaten out of you. Now im an absolute statement nazi like the rest of them yay! Buddhism was just the biggest, most different one i could think of off the top of my head >.< there are probably better examples out there
Yeah, there probably are, but oh well, still, I've always found the whole Buddhist/Christianity theory to be fascinating, but that's just me.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:21 pm
is there any record of it in Buddhist texts?  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff