Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Swedish Christmas celebrations (With Thanatos making sushi!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good reading?
  Yes
  No
  Too lazy to read it (I did all the links, read now damn it!)
  PW
View Results

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:56 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wiki

Swedish Christmas celebrations begin with the first of Advent. Saint Lucy´s Day (locally known as Luciadagen) is the first major Christmas celebration before Christmas itself. As in many other countries in northern Europe, Jultomten (a version of Santa Claus mixed with old folklore, see Yule and Tomte) brings the presents on Christmas Eve, the day generally thought of as Christmas.

Christmas is, as everywhere, a holiday of food. Almost all Swedish families celebrate Christmas on December 24 with a Christmas smörgåsbord (julbord). The common part of almost all julbord is the julskinka (baked ham), but there are also other common dishes such as meatballs, pickled herring, square ribs, lutfisk, pork sausage, Janssons frestelse (grated potatoes, onion, anchovy and cream), and rice pudding. The Christmas julbord is served with beer or julmust and snaps, the dishes of the julbord may vary throughout Sweden. Businesses traditionally invite their employees to a julbord dinner or lunch the weeks before Christmas, and people go out privately to restaurants offering julbord during December, as well.

Examples of candies and treats associated with Christmas are toffee, knäck (quite similar to butterscotch), fruit, nuts, figs, chocolate, dates and marzipan. Another Scandinavian speciality is the glögg (mulled and spiced wine with almonds and raisins), which is served hot in small cups.

Television also plays a big role in most families, the Disney Christmas special and Karl Bertil Jonssons julafton (animated short) are regarded by many to be the most important highlights of the Christmas television programming.

After the julbord on Christmas Eve, the presents are distributed, either by Jultomten or a family member, and usually from a sack or from under the Christmas tree where they have been laying all day or for several days. In older days a yule goat was an alternative to Jultomten, nowadays it is used as an ornament, ranging from sizes of 10 cm to huge constructions like the Gävle goat, famous for being vandalized almost every Christmas.

If one has two families to celebrate Christmas with, it is common that one of the families move their celebrations to Christmas Day or the first Saturday before Christmas Eve (commonly referred to as little Christmas Eve).

After Christmas Eve, the Christmas celebrations have more or less come to an end. Some people attend the julottan, an early morning church service on Christmas Day. Christmas Day and Boxing Day are of no big significance to Swedish celebrations. On January 13 (locally known as knutdagen), 20 days after Christmas, the Christmas celebrations come to an end and all Christmas decorations are removed.

So tomorrow is Christmas in Sweden and I hope you like reading about The Swedish Christmas celebration whee heart  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:11 am
I've got one question for you, pickeld herring? Wouldn't that taste foul?  

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 am
TheBlueWarrior
I don´t think it tastes foul, I like it but alot of people don´t..... whee  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:23 am
Thanatos Phoenix
TheBlueWarrior
ewwwwww...-walks away and barfs on the wall- eek (No offence) User Image  

-iSnug-

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:31 am
Kyumi Atsuki
Thanatos Phoenix
TheBlueWarrior
ewwwwww...-walks away and barfs on the wall- eek (No offence)

You don´t know what it taste like so your not allowed to barf evil  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:49 pm
lol pickled herrings are pretty common i think, my dad likes them but says its a bit of a boney fish mrgreen

new zealand celebrations consist of sneaking beer to the beach, drinking it in the shade and snoozing and surfing mrgreen  

Iconised Ghost

changeisthebest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:11 pm
can someone help me i only have 200 gold and i can use a little help  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:09 pm
missmartini
can someone help me i only have 200 gold and i can use a little help

Please do not beg for gold. We do not accept that here. Leave it in your signature.  

Artanus

-iSnug-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:24 am
Kyumi Atsuki
Thanatos Phoenix
TheBlueWarrior
ewwwwww...-walks away and barfs on the wall- eek (No offence) User Image
Fine...-sucks barf back in and gags to make it go back down-  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:40 am
My dad likes pickled herring. He bought it about three times when we went to holland...off a street vendor. haha.

Christmas in sweden sounds cool, than. I can't really comment about christmas in america, though, 'cuz it's not my holiday.  

MonsieurSponge

Irukus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:23 am
That thing on the top pic looks like a trojan horse domokun and about pickled herrings, never ate it but the thought of it reminds me of bokkoms ( afrikaans for sun-dried fish ) domokun now thats Good eating  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:30 am
@Irukus: The trojan horse is a Yule Goat and that was a alternative to santa in the old days 3nodding

User Image

User Image

I´m so full with sushi now........ whee

Merry X-Mas to everyone!

Thanatos Phoenix

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:31 am
Is that a goat? ninja

I haven't tried any of those dishes. What I have for Christmas is usually pig with rice and potato salad plus cheesecake. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:35 am
domokun a Goat santa ? surprised well thats a pretty original idea, but it doesnt explain how the hooves of the animal had the skill to make such wonderfull gifts ninja YET this interested me domokun  

Irukus

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:39 am
MissMunchieMonster
Is that a goat? ninja

I haven't tried any of those dishes. What I have for Christmas is usually pig with rice and potato salad plus cheesecake. whee
Yes it´s a goat xd

And Irukus you can read more about the Yule Goat here.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff