Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Tarot cards: Another of Trevor's random thought dumps. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:00 pm
Anywho, over Christmas break I decided that I wanted to learn to do tarot readings. More out of boredom than anything else. It's sortof like when I decided to learn how to solve the rubix cube. Now I don't have much of a time frame here. It's more of a "I'll memorize these when I get around to it" type of thing. It'll be a long time before I'll be able to just pull off a reading off the top of my head. Though from another perspective, it's no harder than memorizing the effects of all your pokemon cardz.

First off, while I am a bri/x/shitter, I don't generally believe in superstitious nonsense. I strongly believe in demons, but I'm pretty ******** sure they have something better to do than possess your mirror and stab you while you're spinning around reciting "bloody marry". So instead of viewing the cards as the paranormal, I view them as a form of meditation. I'm a Christian, after all, and I'm not one to practice witchcraft or that satanic bullshit. Instead, I believe that any card can actually be applied to any situation. Here's an example.

People are stupid. They can't generally think outside of the box themselves. Either that, or they're just too ignorant to want to. Lets say some f*****t goes to a fortune teller because his boss is kicking his a** daily. Let's say the fortune teller draws "Justice". Obviously, the card will tell the f*****t to seek out what is just and fair, and so therefore he'll be encouraged to find a new job. At the same time, if the fortune teller draws "death", it will cause him to consider the benefits of change, communicating the same situation. In sense, any card could potentially be applied to any situation, always bringing about a message that encourages the subject to think outside their comfort zone.

Despite all the this forethought, I was ******** startled when I got my deck. The decks are basically the same as any ordinary card deck, except the suites are coins, wands, swords, and cups. In addition, there are another 22 "special" cards added, each with a specific meaning, and a "page" of each suite. Though if you took those out, a tarot deck could actually be used to play any card game (which is actually what they were originally intended for.) Anyways, I start looking through the cards (78 in total [52+22+4]) and one of them catches my eye. The knight of swords (Knight is basically a jack). Anyways, I can't seem to put this card down for some reason. So I stick it on my desk, beside me. Here's a picture of it:
User Image
It's by far my favorite card.

Following this, I start reading the guides I've found. The guide I'm reading says that before doing the spread, you should choose a significator, or card that resembles the person you're doing the reading for.

Out of curiosity, I decide to figure out what my own significator is. It isn't a card you pick; it's determined by your birth month or zodiac sign, gender, age, and marital status.

As soon as I calculate it, I ******** jumped away.
My significator is the the Knight of Swords.

I ******** s**t bricks.

Also:
This is not creepypasta. This did actually happen, just now.

Also: System shock 2 is a ******** hard game. Even on easy. But that's completely off topic.

Discuss: Shitting bricks IRL

Discuss: Why I posted this here instead of /x/.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:08 pm
Awiergan Resurrection

People are stupid. They can't generally think outside of the box themselves. Either that, or they're just too ignorant to want to. Lets say some f*****t goes to a fortune teller because his boss is kicking his a** daily. Let's say the fortune teller draws "Justice". Obviously, the card will tell the f*****t to seek out what is just and fair, and so therefore he'll be encouraged to find a new job. At the same time, if the fortune teller draws "death", it will cause him to consider the benefits of change, communicating the same situation. In sense, any card could potentially be applied to any situation, always bringing about a message that encourages the subject to think outside their comfort zone.

So basically there's no point in tarot card readings, because no matter what card you draw it can be applied to the situation? Or each card could be read as saying "come on, use your common sense here!" I suppose people who can think outside the box and do things that would improve their situation but that they dont really want to do wouldnt go to have their cards read anyway

sorry that was a bit jumbled. It makes sense in my head ><  

Iconised Ghost

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:21 pm
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection

So basically there's no point in tarot card readings, because no matter what card you draw it can be applied to the situation? Or each card could be read as saying "come on, use your common sense here!" I suppose people who can think outside the box and do things that would improve their situation but that they dont really want to do wouldnt go to have their cards read anyway

sorry that was a bit jumbled. It makes sense in my head ><

No, it's not jumbled. It makes sense. I've always thought about it that way, myself.

But I wouldn't say there's no point to it. Yes, it will always be ambiguous and applicable to any situation, regardless of what cards are drawn. But that's enough to help some people think outside the box.

Also, though the cards may say the same thing, they say it in different ways.

Let's say you present a case to a group of 5 judges. You'll get the same message no matter how many judges you present to (assuming the case is black/white enough), but each has a slightly different opinion as to why. Let's say you disagreed with the judges initially. The cards are the same way. So you eventually draw a spread (up to 10 cards) that present the same thing in slightly different ways. Each card also focuses on a different aspect of the problem, such as it's cause, resolution, people influencing it, etc. While it wouldn't help everyone, it's obvious why it helps some people.

Myself, for example. I was raised to be a rather moral person. My parents were fundamentalist, and presented everything in black and white. When ever presented with a cost/benefit analysis of a situation, I'd ignore it and simply say "let's do what's right!". It wasn't until this past year that I've been able to think more pragmatically. Granted, I've been trying to do so for quite some time, and have used the internet as a tool to experiment in such methods of thinking. But I wasn't able to actually apply it to life until very recently.

I imagine the cards can be used in the same way. Alternative reasons, such as the practical reasons behind something, always exist. You may not see them if you're blinded by morality, but the cards (no matter which were drawn) could help draw that to the surface of your conscious mind.

Another way it helps: Some people use the cards to avoid thinking. They want to hear something from them. They don't want to think, and want to make a rushed decision. The cards give such an ambiguous message that you're actually forced to interpret it for yourself, encouraging you think about the situation and actually make the more responsible decision.

Overall, I can see where they have their uses. But that's not why I chose to learn. I really am just doing it for the fun of it. To be a show off, if nothing else. /x/ also claims it's a good skill for picking up girls. xp  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm
i used to do tarot readings all the time for family, friends, hell even internet peeps ignorant enough to request it.

always thought it was a fun, cute thing to do.

then my sister wanted me to do a reading for when she'd have babies ((she's been married a year and had apparently been trying)).

so i threw 'em down, read it, and saw nothing indicating children and EVERYTHING indicating heartbreak, difficult journeys and barrenness.

i smiled and told her it would take some time, but she'd get a kid one day if she really wanted one.

crying i about died inside when i told her that lie. i told mama "she won't have any. ever." and mama said "oh, they're just tarot cards!" but she looked worried, too.

year and a half later, my sister found out that she had ALWAYS been unable to make babies. her eggs were all messed up, so even with all the science in the world, there was no way for her to EVER create a baby.

i haven't thrown the tarot since then.

and i know, i know, spooky retarded stories aren't my general forte here. sweatdrop i'm just putting it out there to show that they DO work and ARE spooky ((if you're good enough to know how to use them the right way AND have talent whee )).

eee.  

WastelandMama
Crew

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:42 pm
bluegrass cat
i used to do tarot readings all the time for family, friends, hell even internet peeps ignorant enough to request it.

then my sister wanted me to do a reading for when she'd have babies ((she's been married a year and had apparently been trying)).

so i threw 'em down, read it, and saw nothing indicating children and EVERYTHING indicating heartbreak, difficult journeys and barrenness.

i smiled and told her it would take some time, but she'd get a kid one day if she really wanted one.

crying i about died inside when i told her that lie. i told mama "she won't have any. ever." and mama said "oh, they're just tarot cards!" but she looked worried, too.

year and a half later, my sister found out that she had ALWAYS been unable to make babies. her eggs were all messed up, so even with all the science in the world, there was no way for her to EVER create a baby.

and i know, i know, spooky retarded stories aren't my general forte here. sweatdrop i'm just putting it out there to show that they DO work and ARE spooky ((if you're good enough to know how to use them the right way AND have talent whee )).

eee.

Well, that's what happens when you try to get a definite answer out of something that isn't designed to give a definite answer. Besides, I think it'd be much more disappointing if the cards had lied about it. But when you come down to it, using the cards for a yes/no question is about like flipping a coin.

http://www.learntarot.com/less7.htm

I read this before I ever got a deck. It discourages questions that would force answers that deflect responsibility or close off options. I see the cards as there to open new doors, not close them. Which is why many readers won't answer a question where the results can be so limited.

Questions like that are not the reason I'm learning to read them. I know some people do use the cards in that way, but I'd rather go looking for trouble in things that I can actually control.

Also, if you haven't determined from the rest of my post, I put much more value into the motivators and underlying reasons in the spread than in the (generally only 1 card) that indicates the future.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:45 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
bluegrass cat

eee.

Well, that's what happens when you try to get a definite answer out of something that isn't designed to give a definite answer. Besides, I think it'd be much more disappointing if the cards had lied about it. But when you come down to it, using the cards for a yes/no question is about like flipping a coin.

I read this before I ever got a deck. It discourages questions that would force answers that deflect responsibility or close off options. I see the cards as there to open new doors, not close them. Which is why many readers won't answer a question where the results can be so limited.

Questions like that are not the reason I'm learning to read them. I know some people do use the cards in that way, but I'd rather go looking for trouble in things that I can actually control.

oh, i should've been more specific. 3nodding when my sister asked me to do it, i told her you can't ask ONE question. can't be specific.

she understood and told me she just wanted a general reading of herself and what was goin' on.

((and it was dead on with past and present stuff as well. seriously, ******** creepy...))  

WastelandMama
Crew

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 pm
bluegrass cat
Awiergan Resurrection
bluegrass cat

eee.

oh, i should've been more specific. 3nodding when my sister asked me to do it, i told her you can't ask ONE question. can't be specific.

she understood and told me she just wanted a general reading of herself and what was goin' on.

((and it was dead on with past and present stuff as well. seriously, ******** creepy...))

I'll agree with you on that. The knight of swords thing really crept me out. Though that's bound to happen when you read someone close to your, or yourself. You end up applying knowledge and emotion into the readings that you wouldn't have if you were doing it for someone you didn't know as well. That's why it will always be eerily personal. ._.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 am
-Yawn- You have too much time on your hands. Go bother Lanzer some more, that's more fun.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Artanus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 am
That's pretty weird, Trev.

I have some Tarot cards. i hardly ever use em' anymore. I used to be way into them. I hated how the book gave extremely specific meanings for cards. So I just loosely followed them, and gave slightly different meanings for different situations like you did.

Maybe I'll get back into em'

Could you tell me how to find my significator card?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 am
Artanus

I have some Tarot cards. i hardly ever use em' anymore. I used to be way into them. I hated how the book gave extremely specific meanings for cards. So I just loosely followed them, and gave slightly different meanings for different situations like you did.

First, you have to figure out your zodiac sign. That determines what suite the card will be from:
Wands are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius;
Cups are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces;
Swords are Gemini, Libra and Aquarius;
Pentacles are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn

Then you use the following to determine which card of the suite you are.
Children to mid teens are pages.
Young adults are knights.
Adult men are kings.
Adult women are queens.  

Awiergan Resurrection

Artanus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:47 am
Awiergan Resurrection
Artanus

First, you have to figure out your zodiac sign. That determines what suite the card will be from:

Adult men are kings.
Adult women are queens.

Page of Cups stare

First of all, I hate cups

Second, my cards have awful art ( guess thats not a real reason)

and third, "A message of love, romance, heartbreak, or family"

I hate my significator card crying

I actually hate my whole deck. I just retrieved them scattered across a desk sort of thing in my room. The art kinda ruins the mood. For me at least.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:38 pm
Artanus
Awiergan Resurrection
Artanus

Adult men are kings.
Adult women are queens.

Page of Cups stare

First of all, I hate cups

Second, my cards have awful art

and third, "A message of love, romance, heartbreak, or family"

I hate my significator card crying

I actually hate my whole deck. I just retrieved them scattered across a desk sort of thing in my room. The art kinda ruins the mood. For me at least.

Perhaps you're the knight of cups then? I find different guides as to what age draws the line between page and knight. The knight of cups is supposedly deep and thoughtful. Though it's a bit too emo for my personal linking.  

Awiergan Resurrection

Dana Pixie Stix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:46 pm
I don't know what I am. I never really cared to figure it out. razz

But I do have to say that's a very lovely card Trevor. It could be the fact that you like the art. (to me it looks like a lot of your backgrounds in your profile) Because it really is an "in awe" type of card. I'd keep it out too. Probably better than most of the art on the other cards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:43 pm
Teh Dana
I don't know what I am. I never really cared to figure it out. razz

But I do have to say that's a very lovely card Trevor. It could be the fact that you like the art. (to me it looks like a lot of your backgrounds in your profile) Because it really is an "in awe" type of card. I'd keep it out too. Probably better than most of the art on the other cards.

Actually, that's the reason I bought the deck.
Learning to read them was just the afterthought.
There are some others that I really like as well, though the knight of swords is my favorite.
User Image
User Image  

Awiergan Resurrection

samm-xx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:33 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

YEAH, I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT STUFF. I THINK IT'S ALL JUST A PLACEBO EFECT IN WHICH YOU BELEIVE IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN - IT WILL HAPPEN; KIND OF THING.
ANYWHOO.. MY MOM GOT A TAROT DECK FOR CHRISTMAS FROM MY BROTHER. [SHE'S OBSESSED WITH THAT KIND OF STUFF ] AND NOW SHE WANTS TO ''READ EVERYONE'S FORTUNES''. GAG.
&TO BE HONEST, THE FEW TAROTS SHE HAS DONE OUT, ACTUALLY REPRESENTED THE PERSON. I NEVER BELIEVED IT MYSELF, JUST THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE A COINCIDENCE.. SO I REDID MINE, AND GOT ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME MEANING.
ITS CREEPY, TO BE HONEST. I DON'T TRUST THOSE THINGS.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff