Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Original thought?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Yes!
  No... damn, now I feel emo too!
  I dunno (also the 'maybe' answer)
  Poll
View Results

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:01 am
I'm sure most people, mostly as a young child, thought of something, thought it was the coolest thing ever, opened your eyes to the real world years later and found it everywhere.

There are tons of vampire stories with slight variations, warewolves, wizards, mages... Some with more major variations or combinations.

I've been trying to come up with something completly original, but I can't. So what I'm thinking is that all thoughts/ideas/actions that people have/do are based off of past experiances, like what they've read or heard about previously. If this is true then original thought doesn't exist.

So what do you think, do you think that original thought exists?

(Part of why I'm asking here is while coming to this I was mainly thinking or characters, or stories, and wondering what writers would think, and if they could say they've had a character or story they can't reacal seeing something similar of.)
I must sound really emo, but I feel like all the ideas have already been created, but I know that it's not true. Computers introduced computer/sci-fi(not so much alien but more robot) monsters.

So what do you guys think?

Also, how do people get thier products or stories different enough to be allowed to get a patent and make a profit off of it?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:18 pm
I think there is such a thing as original thought- not necessarily thinking up brand new things, but thinking about things in a new way- that can be original thought. Problem solving involves a fair bit of original thought, or at least successful problem solving can  

Iconised Ghost

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 am

What I ment was something more original than spin off. At this point, something that's only marginally a spin off would make me happy.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:48 pm
Well thats tricky, because every thought can be seen as a spin off, as every thought is triggered by something in the outside world. So something that might seem completely original to me will have come from a set of thoughts triggered by something in the environment  

Iconised Ghost

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:47 am

So you believe that people are made by thier experiances, and that thier experiances control thier thoughts, personality and actions?

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:52 pm
Yeah pretty much, I think that genetics have a bit to do with it, but i think its probably about 30% genes, 70% experience  

Iconised Ghost

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am

Well, I guess your body, and how your brain and body develop ed/s would alter some perseptions. Not just sight/hearing, or other sences, but even hight, the way that person's brain works, and other pysical stuff like that.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:54 am
Yes and i think that some people are more genetically prone to seeing things in a certain way than others (like in a depressive way etc) but your environment and experiences determine what part your genes play  

Iconised Ghost

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 am

Wow, I was expection more people. I had a bit of fun in the writers forum. I had gotten myself all sad about how predicable our lives were if who we met and wht we did could be predetermined once the technology became availible. I ended up more set that original thought didn't exist, so felt worse, but it was fun, and I got over it. Then I realized that asking FG4PG would prove interesting... but with trevor gone, that kills about 1/2 of all this thread's possiblities. xd

By the way, are you (post)stalking me? ninja

I don't think genetics play a role in your actions or thoughts, just more that how your body works, and it's limitations and strengths, are part of the experiances that control your every thought and action.

Once, all the variables are defined, and if a group seperated from all outside influence (Can't catologe the entire word and thier experiances), a super computer could show someone not in the group (therefore results of the computer don't affect the group) exactly what would happen to them, and thier children. Experiances bring your thoughts and actions to the point of conceving a child, and the time of that conception, stress/activities durning pregnecy, and a few other things, would descide exactly when and who the child will be.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 am
I think genetics do play a part in how we think and act

For example:
Your brain and how it is "made" is determined by your genes (to a certain extent, obviously outside factors also affect it). This obviously affacts how you think, and therefore how you act.

Your genes affect how your body works (as you said), so say you have a genetic, physical disorder. Having this disorder means you act differently (hence your genes are affecting your actions) and you have different experiences, so you think about things differently (hence indirectly your genes affect your thoughts)

Many mental disorders are thought to have at least a small genetic component- schizophrenia affects your thoughts, and how you act on your thoughts, so your genes are again affecting your thoughts and actions to a certain degree

The idea about deciding when and who a child will be isnt entirely new. There was this guy (i forget who he was >.<) who claimed he could take any baby and make it into what ever he wanted- doctor, scientist, artist etc. But im not so sure that it would be that easy or possible to determine all the variables wink

I thought trevor was using a different account to post under?

Im not post stalking you, im just on late at night for once xd  

First Pancake

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 pm

Isn't that just altering or taking control of what genes the child will have?

Trevor, is, but it's just an account to check up on his ban appeal. If he doens't get unbanned he will make an account and tell no one he's trevor, because if he isn't unbanned then it's true that you can get into trouble for offences on banned accounts.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:32 pm
No, thats genetic engineering xd The guy was trying to prove that no matter what youur genes are you can become anything depending on the environment. He was trying to say that genes have no effect on a child's future career or profession at all  

Iconised Ghost

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Any idea what the study showed?

I would think that that is true to an extent, but the way you think or learn, and whether or not any teachers are capable of teaching that person correctly, often limits some people, and for others it pushes them to the top with little effort.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:40 am
Im not sure if that turned into an actual study or whether it was just this guys claim. Usually they dont like doing studies like that in psych because they literally take a lifetime to complete

Thats true about the way people think or learn, some people are visual learners, others are oral etc but i guess the teacher or type of teaching they receive is part of the environment too. And at the same time i think a very bright person will do well academically despite the teacher being a poor one. However, people with learning or intellecutal difficulties would definately be affected by the quality of teaching IMO  

Iconised Ghost

Extended Discussion!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff