Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 am
As Anime Boston draws closer, I'm finishing the details on my Chocobo Costume. whee I decided that this year, I wanted to go to Anime Boston for all 3 days, and to wear a fun costume. So I decided to make one of those outfits where you look like you're riding something. Usually, it looks like someone's riding a horse. I decided to make a Chocobo instead of a horse. So I taped a bunch of newspaper together, designed the pattern, and after more than a month of work, I'm almost done. whee I'm so happy with it, because it's the most intense sewing project I've ever worked on, and I'm thrilled with how it came out. Here are a few pics (Note, it's not totally done yet. Still needs a pad in the butt to give it shape, better feet which I'm working out, and straps on the head to keep it from drooping)
User Image
User Image
User Image

So for a discussion: Cosplay, sewing projects, conventions, that sorta thing. And if you have pics of sewing projects you've done, share them!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 am
Obviously, Jaft laughed upon looking at the gigantic Chocobo, although if we take the ratios from the game itself... Your Chocobo ain't big enough for the two of us.

Anyhoodaisykins, pretty cool. Hopefully it won't tear up if manhandled incorrectly. (Say tear both ways. =3)

Kweh kweh!  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45 am
Yeah, well, clearly from the design, I was going for a more cartoony and less realistic look xp If I had made it any bigger it would be hard to manage. As for manhandling, well I will have a friend with me to keep me from being completly oblitherated by stampeding fanpeoples, but it should hold up pretty well in a worst case scenario. I just hope to god nobody tries for a piggy back ride, because that would probably crush not only my back, but the back of the costume as well. Most of the stitching is by machine, and the parts that are hand sewn shouldn't be subjected to much abuse. xd KWEH!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:34 pm
I am starting to work on my Honoka costume. Luckily I should be able to buy most of the outfit. But I need to make the scarf because of how long it is. And I need to make a 3rd eye. That should be interesting as I intend to velcro it to my forehead.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am
xp Velcro? I'm sure it'll look cool in the end.

Oh, and I solved the feet dilemma. I got a pair of black sandals and sheet of brown foam stuff, and I'm gonna cut the shapes I need from the brown foam material, and glue it to the sandals. I couldn't find brown sandals, but they're black, so they shouldn't stick out too much. sweatdrop It would have been easy if I could have just worn flippers, but those would be impossible to walk around in all day.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:09 pm
Yes, velcro. I want to be able to easily put it on and off if it feels to weird/weighty on my head. Velcro comes with the stick backing, so it should work.  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:24 am
Well I put the new feet together, and they look just fine. I'll be able to walk around without killing my feet. Also, I attached 2 elastic straps to the head. In those pics, I'm holding the head up. Now that the straps are on, it stays upright xp I'll be wearing a black top and a black backpack, so the straps shouldn't really be that noticible.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 pm
OK, so now I can't find the velcro stuff to affix the eye to my forehead...so I went with double stick scrap booking tape. I'll carry some extra with me just in case it doesn't hold too well, though I think it should be alright. The eye itself looks kind of cool for a piece of painted wood.

Tying the scarf is a bit of a pain, because Honoka's scarf is tied in a bow with really long ends hanging down her back. Getting it even is a little tricky.

Do you think Lanzer would want a "Chyaku Norisu Scarf"? I have extras! mrgreen  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Creative Crossroads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items