Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Euthanasia. For or against? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Euthanasia... Yes?
  or No?
View Results

Luneatha

Devoted Loverboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:50 am
Well, yesterday we had discussion about euthanasia at school... And when I came home and read the paper there was an article on euthanasia too.
So people, are you for or against the practice against euthanasia.

For: As we have the right to live, we should also have the right to end our life. Besides, usually euthanasia grants suffering ppl peace.

Against: Some ppl believe it means committing suicide,a dn it's a sin. We should leave our life to God, because God brought us into this world. confused Bleh. I'm not that religious.

I have lots of other arguments... I'll type them later when I remember the source.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm
Well thats a difficult question >.<
People do have the right to end their lives. Suicide isnt illegal anymore (well at least not in most western countries I think). The issue is that distinguishing between euthanasia and murder is tricky. I was going to say that if you could truely tell who really wanted to die and were unable to, then you would have a case for euthanasia. But I dont see it happening because you have issues around people killing other people who didnt actually want to die but who were unable to say so, you have issues around people using euthanasia as a defense for murder, and when you think about we already prevent people who want to die from dying- those who are suicidal are usually institutionalised, hospitalised, or supervised to prevent them from commiting suicide. So if you're going to have euthanasia, you're going to have to stop preventing people from commiting suicide too. And then you're going to have to distinguish between people who want to die because they are in lots of pain and dying slowly anyway, and those who want to die because they have an underlying psychiatric illness. Which is hard.

So basically, I think that there is a very small portion of people where euthanasia would be possible. But the dynamics and nature of euthanasia makes it impossible to legalise  

Iconised Ghost

Dark King Treble

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:04 pm
Suicide. I think we can agree that we have all been in that state of mind at one point in our lives. Sometimes it's just better to end your life. The downside to that is there is no restart button and it is a sin, according to the Bible. Atheists and others don't have to worry about that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:22 pm
Nope. Ive never been suicidal  

Iconised Ghost

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm
I´m all for euthanasia, If people want to kill them selfs let ´em.
I think that there should be places where you can get euthanized if you want it.

My views are kinda radical but what the hell.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:41 am
Thanatos Phoenix
I think that there should be places where you can get euthanized if you want it.

Killing themselves is all well and good, but we're talking about other people helping them here. Suicide's not a crime anymore (well, not in most countries i believe) but helping someone to die usually is  

First Pancake

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:21 pm
First Pancake
Thanatos Phoenix

Killing themselves is all well and good, but we're talking about other people helping them here. Suicide's not a crime anymore (well, not in most countries i believe) but helping someone to die usually is
Well if the person is uncureable and in serious pain euthanasia should be an option.

Even if the person can do it them selfs.  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:20 am
Thanatos Phoenix
First Pancake
Thanatos Phoenix

Well if the person is uncureable and in serious pain euthanasia should be an option.

But what if you think they are in pain, but you're not sure? And even if you know they are in pain, how do you know they want to die? People can be in pain and still want to live, but if say they cannot speak or communicate for some reason, it becomes very difficult to tell. I dunno, i just think there are too many grey areas for it to be made legal  

Iconised Ghost

Ichigo_Bankai24

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 pm
people should have the right to end there lives but i wouldnt  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm
Ichigo_Bankai24
people should have the right to end there lives but i wouldnt

people DO have the right to end their lives, OTHER PEOPLE dont have to right to do it for them stressed  

Iconised Ghost

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:49 am
Iconised Ghost
Thanatos Phoenix
First Pancake
Thanatos Phoenix

But what if you think they are in pain, but you're not sure? And even if you know they are in pain, how do you know they want to die? People can be in pain and still want to live, but if say they cannot speak or communicate for some reason, it becomes very difficult to tell. I dunno, i just think there are too many grey areas for it to be made legal
If they can´t speak or communicate in any way, they should in my opinion be put to sleep even if they arn´t in pain.
Why?
Because they have nothing to live for and there is no cure for being a vegetable, I know my views are kinda nazi but that is what I think.

So I still say that euthanasia should be legal in all ways.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:09 am
yeah but who are we to decide what their future holds? If their future means just being a vegetable then they may consider that to be better than being dead, and i dont think other people should have the right to decide that they should die. Of course ppl get taken off life support all the time but still...if they are ok without life support then i think others should be allowed to kill them. You never know what medical science will be able to do in 5 years, 10 years etc...  

Iconised Ghost

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am
Iconised Ghost
yeah but who are we to decide what their future holds? If their future means just being a vegetable then they may consider that to be better than being dead, and i dont think other people should have the right to decide that they should die. Of course ppl get taken off life support all the time but still...if they are ok without life support then i think others should be allowed to kill them. You never know what medical science will be able to do in 5 years, 10 years etc...
Well I can stretch my self to consider not turning them off if they are still young (like 0 to 25/30 years old) after that I just don´t see the point, if they are 40 and mind uploading arrives 15 years later they are going to be 55 and that will be in my mind to big of a change and even if it isn´t mind uploading it will probably still be pretty radical.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:41 pm
Mind uploading would be so cool xd But even some kind of less radical medical stuff for getting people out of comas could pop up. Although im not sure where we are going to put these people until that comes time comes around. But still, if there's hope for me as a vegetable of coming out of it and being alive, i dont want anyone thinking they have the right to unplug me  

Iconised Ghost

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:33 pm
Iconised Ghost
Mind uploading would be so cool xd But even some kind of less radical medical stuff for getting people out of comas could pop up. Although im not sure where we are going to put these people until that comes time comes around. But still, if there's hope for me as a vegetable of coming out of it and being alive, i dont want anyone thinking they have the right to unplug me
Yeah mind uploading is very cool and I get what your saying but I still see that some people who get vegetablelized do not beniefit from lying in bed for 20 years.

(Off topic: Iconised should I make a topic in ED about mind uploading and other stuff like that?)  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff