Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Meaning Behind Lyrics Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Egga drank some tea.
  It was good
  It's such a shame that you're a 15 year old semi- addicted to caffeine. :(
View Results

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 pm
Okay, so this morning I was listening to "Suffragette City" by David Bowie. When I was done, the only thought I had was "Who the hell is Henry!?". (I know he was gay, but I still wonder.)

So, that led me to think, there are lots of other songs that have weird lyrics, with hidden meanings. When I first listened to Three Days Grace, I thought that their later albums were Emo without reason. But then I actually researched the band, and found out that the lead singer had struggled with addiction and had been in and out of therapy for two years. This totally explained the lyrics to "Never Too Late". (Don't bash, I like it.)

So, many things to discuss here:
-Are there song lyrics that you have yet to understand?
-How do you find out what lyrics mean to the artist?
-Do you find the lyric "WHAM BAM Thank you Ma'am" to be the best lyric ever? (Because i do, besides "Nature is a whore" from Nirvana's In Bloom.)
-When you play Rock Band, does everybody in the Room sing it along with the singer?
-WHO THE HELL IS HENRY?!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:54 pm
I love the song Never Too Late. Three Days Grace is a decent band.

There are plenty of song lyrics I have yet to understand. Lots of songs by the Beatles, for example. Love 'em to death, but I don't always get them, that's for sure. "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo gatchoo" for example...or however it goes. I don't understand most of that song in fact.

Or a lot of things by Gorillaz. O_o And as far as finding out what lyrics mean to the artists, reading their autobiographies or reading/watching/listening to interviews is an easy way to find out exactly where they were coming from. Though I often prefer simply to interpret the lyrics for myself.

I've never heard whatever song you're referring to, so no. I do know the song by Nirvana you're referring to but I still don't think that's the best lyric ever.
whee

I've never played Rock Band either. I've just played GH, and people don't usually sing along when we play. Though every once in a while if it's a really good song I find myself humming/singing along as I play.
I have no idea who Henry is. XD I'm not sure I've even heard that song, I'm not a big Bowie fan.

Pachelbel Canon

Zaoth Kun
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:10 pm
I will always care about you....
never to late is my favourite song xD I can listen to it for ages >.<

some meatloaf songs make you think xD like in bat outta hell he sings about his heart coming out and flying away o.o
...Because I love you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm
I have a band that has weird lyrics when u listen to them. Fall Out Boy has a bunch of weird lyrics. Track 6 of Infinity On High...that song is completely weird. neutral  

Lethalmz

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Listen to Suffragette City or I will eat your babies. Fall Out Boy Sucks a** domokun And how can you not love In Bloom?

Find someone with Rock Band, because it is addicting...

I don't sing along to GH either, btws.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 pm
I guess one song I could say I connected with the lyrics is Lullaby by Maria Mena. That song and Naked by Avril, it's stupid, but I still connected with it with someone.

With Lullaby I can't say I got it completely, but there's a part in the chorus that really struck home with me.

I've never played Rock Band, but Guitar Hero yes and yes I do suck.
I don't play much though, but I do sometimes sing along with some of the songs.

>_> I'm sorry, but I don't know who Henry is either. I haven't heard those songs you mentioned and if I did I just don't recognize the names then. >_>

One song I think I will never understand is "I lived on the moon" it's all fantasy, it probably does have a meaning to it, but I don't know what it is, I just know that I like it and that it makes me feel like I'm floating around or something, like on a trip. I love it, especially because of a video that was made with that song and it was the Internet Film Fest Berlin
Winner "Best Film" If you haven't seen it look it up, it's really good. heart  

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

xxKiria-Kunxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:18 pm
-Random question-

For "A Little Piece of Heaven", do the lyrics mean what they really say.. Because it's all pretty f***ed up if you listen to it...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:26 pm
Listen to stairway to heaven backwards

Sometimes words have two meanings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTAekO8Zek  

angel_half82
Crew

Bikki Kobayashi IV

0 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:48 pm
This is a random one

Still alive the ending of portal can have two different meanings

#1 GLaDOs is happy she is alive and plans to continue her 'research'

#2 GLaDOs is unhappy but lies to everyone else and says that she is. Also noted Jealously to the ones who can die. Because many who have played the game that GLaDOs is a lier. [Or looked up the game, because I never played it but still know enough][I was not the first to notice btw]  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:47 pm
I am constantly translating, analysing, interpreting, and retranslating Rammstein lyrics whee Its a really fun exercise, and you often find things you really didnt expect or gaps that really make you go hmmmmm  

Iconised Ghost

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:24 am
I tend to pay more attention to the music being played in the song than the lyrics that are going along with it, I'm just odd like that. But when I do pay attention to the lyrics, I want them to be telling me a story, which is why progressive rock= <333 for me. Rush's 2112, Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime 1&2, Dream Theater's Metrolpolis pt 2, and all of the Coheed and Cambria albums rank among my favorite things to listen to.

And yes, the lyrics, "Wham, Bam, thank you ma'am" are the greatest ones ever written. I can't help but laugh to myself when I play vocals on RB and they come up. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 am
i think some song have deep underlining meanings. But most are pretty straight forward. (i listen to alot of country/jazz/hiphop) it's been a while since i've actually had to think hard about what someone is trying to say... but it can be interesting sometimes. I think alot of people attempt to relate the song to themselves instead of what the song is about, and many times meaning is changed.  

SakuChwan
Vice Captain

Gift Ninja Tai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:18 pm
I will always care about you....
Ho shi.. who got NINJAHED
...Because I love you!

Zaoth Kun
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:57 pm
EggaxSponge
Listen to Suffragette City or I will eat your babies. Fall Out Boy Sucks a** domokun And how can you not love In Bloom?

Find someone with Rock Band, because it is addicting...

I don't sing along to GH either, btws.

XD Alright.
I don't care for them either. They're pretty annoying.
In Bloom's a decent song, I just don't think it has "the best" lyrics evah. XD

When I went to Best Buy to TRY to get my laptop fixed (Keyword: try) a few of my friends were playing RB on the demo they had set up. Looked fun but I have waaay too many addictions already.

EDIT: Yeah I'm also wondering who got ninja'd? o.o
whee  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas