Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
A step in Gay Rights Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay Marriage
  Yea
  Nay
View Results

churrlo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 pm
The Supreme Court today (9th district) declared bans on gay marriage unconstitutional. While I'm sure the government will find many ways to get around this and disobey the courts... it's the first big step I think =o What are your opinions on this?  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 pm
No more running to Canada! heart  

Dana Pixie Stix

churrlo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Or Massachusetts!!! ^_^ Hehe  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Or Massachusetts.

Until I actually spelled it out I never noticed how ******** up the spelling of this state is. Indians are wierdos.  

angel_half82
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 pm

I really never saw what the problem was. This pile of BS is about religious s**t, so if a church doesn't want to marry someone they just say no. WTF would give the state a reason to turn down $40 from any two drunken vegas elopers?

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:06 pm
so you can actually get married, or just have a civil union? over here you can have a civil union but not a mariage...im not sure exactly what the difference is  

Iconised Ghost

SakuChwan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:39 am
about damn time. Gay people should be as miserable as straight people. It's not fair they got to skip the marriage thing.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:12 am
SakuChwan
about damn time. Gay people should be as miserable as straight people. It's not fair they got to skip the marriage thing.

My thought exactly! D:< Equal misery rights all around.

"Will you marry me?"

"Uh...I can't...because..because it's illegal! Yea!"

"It's not illegal anymore! Stop making excuses!"

Well, that excuse shall be a thing of the past. twisted

Pachelbel Canon

Dr Entropy

6,600 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 pm
I'm sure you think this may be shocking but I'm a bit religious. <_<;;

Before I state my view, I'd like to note that I'm not homophobic. I have quite a few gay friends and don't dislike them because of who they are.

Srsly I don't care. Gay people can do whatever they want but I don't support their marriage. The Church says that marriage is to be kept between a man and a woman and thats how I feel.

I'm going to be quite honest. Why do they need to be married? Living together isn't enough? Gay people getting married is just a grab for attention in my opinion. I just don't understand why they need the whole ceremony. Do they think they'll be praised? "Oh look! Two gay men are getting married! They're so brave!" Just live together. Why is that not enough?

I get the feeling I just opened up a can of worms xd  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm
Why do they need to be married? It's simple really, we want the same legal rights as a married couple that you'll be getting... it's not fair that we can't have those rights >.>

I feel that, to avoid controversy, they should just avoid the term "marriage." Marriage suggests a religious ceremony or religion, which isn't what this is about at all. Last time I checked, no one said ANYTHING about any religious establishment being made to recognize gay marriage. This is more of a marriage in the eyes of the government, we are being the same rights as a heterosexual married couple, that's all people wanted anyways. Who cares about what religion has to say honestly, it's got nothing to do with God or Jesus or any of that stuff. So therefore, that's why we need marriage. Although I believe they should just call it a "civil union", which would entitle the same rights as marriage, just without the religious affiliation.

Also, ******** religion! D:< Separation of church and state b***h  

churrlo

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm
churrlo
Why do they need to be married? It's simple really, we want the same legal rights as a married couple that you'll be getting... it's not fair that we can't have those rights >.>

I feel that, to avoid controversy, they should just avoid the term "marriage." Marriage suggests a religious ceremony or religion, which isn't what this is about at all. Last time I checked, no one said ANYTHING about any religious establishment being made to recognize gay marriage. This is more of a marriage in the eyes of the government, we are being the same rights as a heterosexual married couple, that's all people wanted anyways. Who cares about what religion has to say honestly, it's got nothing to do with God or Jesus or any of that stuff. So therefore, that's why we need marriage. Although I believe they should just call it a "civil union", which would entitle the same rights as marriage, just without the religious affiliation.

Also, ******** religion! D:< Separation of church and state b***h

what is the difference between marriage and a civil union? gonk  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm
A civil union is a legally recognized union similar to marriage.

Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are sanctioned with governmental, social, or religious recognition.

Basically they're the same, civil unions are just the way around the Church. smile  

churrlo

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:25 pm
churrlo
A civil union is a legally recognized union similar to marriage.

Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are sanctioned with governmental, social, or religious recognition.

Basically they're the same, civil unions are just the way around the Church. smile

ooooh ok. So marriage is basically a civil union with a cermony wrapped around it?  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Eh, it should be up to the church in the first place.  

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Dr Entropy

6,600 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 pm
@ Chuurlo: Yes, I forgot to note that.

Go ahead and get married under the state if you want. I don't care. I just don't call it a marriage. I understand that gay people want certain rights only attainable by a marital union and the fact that these things are limited to marital bonds isn't exactly fair. If its just for the purpose of attaining those legal rights, go ahead. I just don't support the idea.

Now if a gay couple wants a religious ceremony (by that I mean marriage under the acknowledgment of the Christian community), thats when I say "BACK THE ******** UP. READ THE BIBLE AND GTFO" I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they'd refer to it as a civil union because like you said, marriage implies the bonding under a religious ceremony.

Edit @ Ex: I completely agree, but if it'll end the arguing on the topic fine. Just don't think one has the Church's back behind them.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff