I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply RP/Game
Looking for RP. Likes: Long walks on the beach. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think you want to role play with me?
  Yes. Let's get going!
  No, I never role play on the first date
  This is the third, compleatly neutral option.
View Results

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:37 am
So for the last couple months I've been snooping around in here about twice a week looking for an RP that can sate my stagnacity. In years passed, I'd often find myself roleplaying in order to fill in the gaps that I'd spend doing nothing on the internet, and it worked pretty well for a long while. However lately I find that there's nothing that suits me, or my former "groups" aren't really concerned with meeting any longer. Most of my good RPing was done on the IRC chat, and that place is all but dead lately.

So what I'd like to know is, are there any RPers out there who can't seem to find a place to RP in this sub-forum? Would you like to build a game with me? I'm open to suggestion, simply shout them out in this thread, and I'm sure we can find a combination of things that will work for us.

So what we're looking for here are ideas and opinions on genres, styles, and aspects of play that people would like to see implemented into a game. Any and all are welcome.

I'm not looking for anything too serious, but neither do I want it to grate into something goofy and nonsensical. I'd like it to maintain a respectable level of composure while still being very casual. If this sounds appealing, you may have what it takes to RP here with me!

Also, if ideas end up needing a game master of some type I don't mind giving up playing in order to fill that roll. Alternatively I'd also be willing to co-GM.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to consider dropping a suggestion, or joining in the creation of this game. heart  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:48 am
I know the feeling. I have an RP guild that can seem to find a game that actually finishes. My last hope, a game running for almost 3 years seems to have gone stagnant. People's schedules keep getting in the way of being able to continue playing.

I've quasi GMed a game, but let others somewhat direct the game as well. Never fully GMed a game. I have been in other games with someone as only a GM, but then they stopped posting after only a few posts/pages.

If you get a good game let me know, I'm looking for one to play. About the only thing I'm not into is sci-fi games.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:36 pm
Wow! After the first few days of no responces, I thought the thread would just die...

Well thanks for making my day, Thal. Although, I have absolutly no doubt that this RP (if it's ever started) will indeed die with little to no closure, I at least hope to keep it going long enough that my need for a quality RP will be sated.

I suppose I should throw some options out to jog people's ideaboxes. Are we interested in playing something with an action theme (probably), saturated in fantasy, or sci-fi elements? Is anyone more interested in a stationary, sandbox RP that's set in a defined space in which we as characters can move around and make things happen, or is an established plot (or some kind of structured movement) desired?

What's the major theme? Pirates? Ninjas? Pirates fighting Ninjas? Is it about people who ride polar bears into battle? Really I'm open to suggestion; suggestion is why I made this thread. Just the tiniest bit of inspiration can tend to set me off, anything anyone can give me might be something I can muster a story out of.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:58 pm
I'm in your same boat, Jimbo; RP finding, for me, has been quite lacking. I suppose, as confessions to the church of RP, I've actually, in desperation, searched around the Chatterbox because nothing was interesting here or in Barton.

In any case, I'm generally open to any RP topic, though I do have a preference for fully Magick or a harmonic Magick-Science relationship. I can do something very techy without magick but I find it's not my favourite of the three. Theme wise, I can work with anything, though I prefer not being forced to play as a certain specific character; development is something that's needed even if it's only getting further through the adventure.

At the moment, though, I'd like something to do with music to be used. Or, if it works better, if I can play as a Buffering/Annoying/Magically-Inclined Bard.

Edit: Schedule-wise, I'm pretty much not booked for anything during the summer months save for a week or two of work/training. So... I can do more serious RPs if there will be some scheduling.  

Sentama Lin

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 am
One of my favorite themes is one I pried up from a game called Arcanum: Of Steamwork and Magik Obscura. In this game the physical and the metaphysical actually tampered with each other. If one is surrounded by something that is extremely real, such as a running steam engine, it would be nigh impossible to use a low level spell unless you were pushing a lot of magical power into it. Alternatively if your surrounded by something extremely surreal, such as a magic portal, it would be just as impossible to fire a gun. The physics that went into the creation of the powder would simply be obscured and the gun would misfire or not at all simply because physics is bent like a bubble around the source of magic.

People are like conduits for both the real and the surreal, being able to manipulate their own auras depending on what they tend to practice. Master gadgeteers can always make their machines work through sheer force of will, and the highest level casters bleed their own magical energy as if it meant nothing.

So we could try something like this... although I think it's more like a background aspect, basing a story off of it would be a little hard.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 am
That is a rather interesting concept. What kind of magick? Elemental? Spiritual? Undead? Any and all?  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 pm
I think all magic is good as long as the schools are established.

Heh, that reminds me of Suikoden...  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm
It definitely leads for a lot of plot development, Jimbo. The description you gave sounds like a very interesting catalyst for many magick-science clashes, which would be quite fun to explore and play around with.

Suikoden... I /could/ open up my text file for a Suikoden-like adventure I made involving the Circle Rune, the rune of Totally Complete Peace and Order...  

Sentama Lin

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:01 pm
I somehow think that you and I would be the only ones amused by a Suikoden game.

If this were a Suikoden guild I'd say go for it, because we'd have a realistic base of people to play with.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:19 pm
I haven't heard of Suikoden before. Is it d20 based, or d10, or is it not a dice game?  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm
It's a world where the entire aspects of all reality are controlled by 27 sentient runes, each representing some part of reality (True Fire, Beginning, Hachifusa/Chaos, Circle/Peace, Life and Death, etc.). The entire basis of the story of the games is part Shui Hu Zhuan (Chinese folklore about 108 bandits who defeated a corrupt dynasty) and part the interaction of regular humans with the sentient runes, and what the power does to the world.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 pm
My friend's RP guild died recently. Probably schedule differences and after 5 years it got old for them. I dunno.

One of my problems is I'm kinda resistant to change. I have a fairly narrow repertoire of characters and on average they won't fit people's criteria for characters to join an RP. In attempts to utilize such a character, I've run into some difficulties in a different guild recently.  

Phaeton

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:59 pm
@ Lin: OK, that sounds really cool. Far better than a lot of the games I have tried as of late. I must learn more about this game!

@Phaeton: Oh man, if that last one was in my guild, I'm sorry to hear it. I'm working to revive it though, and I hope the guild gets better... and less stagnant!  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:38 pm
I'm not sure about the like of Suikoden genre, Jimbo. Though we are probably the only fans of the game in this guild, I'd think the theme of a bunch of people of various personalities, likes, dislikes, working toward a common evil, at the same time interacting with the forces that make up reality, could be attractive.  

Sentama Lin

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 am
Phaeton
My friend's RP guild died recently. Probably schedule differences and after 5 years it got old for them. I dunno.

One of my problems is I'm kinda resistant to change. I have a fairly narrow repertoire of characters and on average they won't fit people's criteria for characters to join an RP. In attempts to utilize such a character, I've run into some difficulties in a different guild recently.
Well since we're basically building something from the ground up, I don't see any reason why you couldn't join us. If you start throwing in things to our melting pot early you can try to set it up so that the characters you want to play fit in easier and make sense with the background we decide on.

Sentama Lin
I'm not sure about the like of Suikoden genre, Jimbo. Though we are probably the only fans of the game in this guild, I'd think the theme of a bunch of people of various personalities, likes, dislikes, working toward a common evil, at the same time interacting with the forces that make up reality, could be attractive.
I dunno, I think we could definitely illude toward something of a Suikoden nature however unless we have people who have played through most of at least one of the games, I think it would be much harder to actually capture the essence of Suikoden. To recruit people who are versed in what Suikoden is as a video game is important, because those people are more likely to be able to capture their roles much more accurately, and understand that they are only one important player in a much larger body of important players. You can't deny that the game has a very unique air to it; very wired and intense, with its own brand of drama.

It could be pulled off, but I think in order to be able to label something as being part of the Suikoden universe one has to lasso all of the correct parts.  
RP/Game

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff