Reply Creative Crossroads
Colour For People With Colour Deficiencies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:58 am
A lot of people already know this, but for the people that don't, I have colour deficiency. It makes it really difficult for me to match various things by colour if I have to (a lot of my outfits, then, are hit and miss). It's also one of the reasons that I've strayed away from any artistic medium that involves working with colour (other than web design, but that's easy because I can create or find safe palettes to work with). The truth is, I get tired of people telling me that my eyes are purple or my skin is green. I would design in gray all the time, which I'm comfortable with, but it's not exactly attractive.

Anyways, I want to try working with colours again so I can practice some more interesting sketches and whatnot and I'm not quite sure how to start with this, considering the colour disadvantage. Any tips on how I can keep myself in check with colour while I design?

I think the problem that I'll have is that I'll have to essentially refer to a grid of colours that are labeled for me. The problem with that is that's not the only colour things can be. :/  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 pm
I guess, if you want to appeal to people that see color "normally" then the best approach is to learn as much about your deficiency as possible and try to work around it. Honestly, I think that you should work with your deficiency and focus on things that may be easier, like object and shape recognition.

The February issue of Dwell Magazine was all about color and they had an article about a color deficiency that may be worth checking out. It's called Room with a Hue.  

124-C

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 pm
I do generally follow the advice of knowing and using one's deficiency as a strength. That's why I tend to either do a lot of black and white pencil/charcoal drawing or web design where I know for sure the colours will complement each other. Generally I can get colours to work on the macro level, when I'm finishing the work and making sure things are truly complementary. However, on more microlevel work, it's just a lot harder. On digital works the eyedropper helps me out a lot and I just vary the HSV from there to make things that I need. But for more traditional things I usually spend a frustrating amount of time just playing and mixing colours to get what I think is good, but it still turns out quite icky.

I'm aware of my type of colour deficiency and while I can discern colour sometimes, I can only really discern colours when its really contrasting and quite saturated. As the guy in the article everything else that isn't so distinctly contrasting gets very hard to work with.

But I digress... I suppose this means I'll be stuck to my pencils and charcoal eh? I have nothing against those mediums; it's what I feel comfortable working on. But I am just a little disappointed that going beyond that is physically uneconomical.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 pm
<.< I wonder how many artists had to worry about colour?

>.> Have you considered just going wild on a painting?

<.< Then have an honest friend or showcase it to people.

>.> You could also have fun just mixing colours and not caring about the outcome.

<.< Maybe you have an awesome paint style that could be made more vibrant and lively with your semi-random colour disadvantage.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Kals is questing again!
Why not go impressionist/abstract and not bother with trying to make your colours match what everyone else expects? Art is a form of communication, you could use it to show how YOU see the world and everyone else can go jump off a cliff if they don't like it.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
Check sig for details!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm
@Jaft: All of them, yes, had problems with colour matching.

@Kalsie: Abstract art... is not really what I'm going for. Though I suppose I could seriously just do what I think is correct in my eyes. It would definitely be interesting, yes, to draw/paint something of what I see as correct. But I suppose the slight trauma that I've had from actually working with colour when I was younger still lingers on today.  

Sentama Lin

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:33 pm
It is a real task, but if you get some one to make a color pallet labeled (with the pastels and mixed colors) for you and import it into something like PhotoShop (it's all I have and all I know) you can then use the color gradient system by playing with the hue an saturation and contrast settings. It should help you to have more access to other colors and such. If the pallet is set up with complementing colors grouped together, that might help too.

Maybe that would help?  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Heh... I may just have to make a palette for myself and label it as you said. Or have someone work with me to get a usable palette for things I need to do.  

Sentama Lin

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:09 pm
Kals is questing again!
Or just use the wrong colours on purpose. Very postmodern.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
Check sig for details!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:43 pm
You could get the supplies you want to use, and have someone help sort them out with you. Complimenting colors with each other (i don't have a color thng like you, but i do it anyways, im kind of OC) and then put a group of colors that contrast with those near them. Then you can just remember, if fuschia= green, and brown=purple, then fuschia and brown pencils will compliment each other. (now i dunno if thats your problem, or if you can't see color period. Sorry if this upsets you in any way, im kind of blunt too :3) Try a few different plans, and work with the one thats easiest for you.  

Quasar Quirks

Nebulous Astronaut

6,275 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:43 pm
Well, it isn't grouped with similar hues yet...but this version at least has names...I got it from a jewelry supply catalogue.

Maybe it will help somewhat...forgive me for the size, but to be readable it needs to be this way.
Color Palatte  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 am
I didn't even realize I had issues with colour until I was a teenager, and my deficiencies are less severe. Mostly I can't really pick out colours in patterns (orange/yellow and green especially), and have trouble telling shades apart (blue and purple constantly screw me over). So, no trauama. Although, it was a bit of a downer finding out my favourite button-up shirt was purple. sweatdrop

I'm not much of a science person, so maybe I'm misunderstanding...But isn't colour just the way light hits our eyes and bends and whatnot? So...maybe there really isn't a right way to see colour.

It just depends on if you're creating things for yourself, or if you're looking to make something pleasing for others.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Creative Crossroads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces