Reply Community Lounge
What Would You Choose?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hidden Shinobi Demon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm
Hello and I'm Leapster4. In March of this year my dad and I decided that my school was not helping me well with learning well and that the bullying was getting worse for me. Yet I had a couple of friends at that school but still I couldn't stand public schools anymore. So I switched to homeschool before i was done with 10th grade, so I can get a better education but I lost some good friends at my school.

Then as I was getting comfortable with homeschool , my dad had gotten a brilliant idea. That idea was to go to a town in Ghana (a country in Africa)a water purification system to solve the towns water problems. The town has a problem with thier water and there are many water born diseases that can kill or make the people of the town (including the kids) very sick.

So he said to me would you like to help and teach the kids in the town schools about the problems in the water they drink so they can not die or get very sick so they enjoy thier childhood. At the same time my dad and I are give the town a water purification system.

He said would you like to do this and I gave some time to think about it and then I told him Yes "I will do it". Were leaving on September the Fourth.

SO HERE"S MY QUESTION TO YOU.

What Would YOU choose?

1. Endure the chaos of a public high school where you feel like you aren't learning anything and the bullying is just getting worse for you and the teachers aren't helping you out. But if you make it through, you get to go to with someone to Prom (probably either your gf/bf), have a senior graduation party,a year book to keep forever and forever lasting memories of spending time with friends in school.

OR

2. Leave FOREVER behind a chaotic public school that you didn't learn anything from and the bullies. Yet, YOU SACRIFICE your time with your good friends, senior prom night, a senior graduation party and a year book. But you instead will save many kids lives by going thousands of miles to teach them and help them out. So some kids in Ghana can enjoy a childhood where they won't get sick and/or die.

Please, Please Reply Back to this on what would you choose and why

Leapster 4  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:16 am
The Africa thing doesn't sound so bad, the only important thing about high school is the diploma, so if you can get that easily without going then go to Africa and save lives. High school might make u a few friends but chicks would dig it that you went and helped people, you could probably learn more from traveling around the world then from going to high school...  

Mugen Nagrom

Hidden Shinobi Demon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:53 am
Mugen Nagrom
The Africa thing doesn't sound so bad, the only important thing about high school is the diploma, so if you can get that easily without going then go to Africa and save lives. High school might make u a few friends but chicks would dig it that you went and helped people, you could probably learn more from traveling around the world then from going to high school...

When you mentioned that the only important thing about high school is the diploma, well I don' have to worry I will still get it through home school.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 pm
I've never seen an easier question in my life. Helping to save lives is more important than anything. Easy road is the one that helps the least. Make a real difference. It could get you a book deal  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Hidden Shinobi Demon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 pm
how can i get a book deal?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:08 pm
You write you story as a book and sell it to a publisher. A high school kid risking a typical social life to save kids in a third world country...yeah, there is a book in that even if you do it as a journal. And what a good way to share the plight of these people with the rest of the world!

You are definitely making the right choice on this. Not only are you helping make a difference in the lives of many people, but you'll be learning about another nation and yourself at the same time. That is so much better than just learning to survive unnoticed in a petty high school.

Best of luck to you and your dad, and I hope you have fun while helping the people of Africa!  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Seraphicnephilim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:07 pm
I would suggest going to Africa, because while all of your bullies are wasting their lives, you'll be making a difference in the world.
Plus, you actually could write a best-seller...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:01 pm
Do it. I wish I could have. You don't want to die here.  

Milk and Holy Water

lazycommie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 pm
Option 2, no question. "Friends" made in school and similar don't amount for squat. Life lessons learned through experience, however, do.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:58 pm
Option two. It's important to give back to the world. It's also important to travel - it helps you gain perspective on things. Contrary to what the teachers in high school tell you, it doesn't ease up after graduation. Travelling and doing good in the world may make it easier for you when you have to deal with adults in the future that are similar to the bullies you're facing now.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Yvaine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:37 pm
Option 2 ftw! After the crapfest that was both our schooling experience, my husband and I decided to home school our kids 100% of the way. First year down (kindergarten), two decades or more to go (not sure if we're having more)! My absolute goal is to spend later school years traveling and participating in many cultures, as well as running a business of some kind with the kids. People who immerse themselves in the drama-dump that is school usually have a hard time growing out of it later. So what I see you asking is: "Should I stay home and learn to be a pampered self-centered drama machine, or should I learn how to be a valuable member of the human race?" I don't think you'll get many takers for Option 1. Rise above, man, rise above.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 am
My public school life was terrible also (education and social). I had no friends what so ever though (teachers didn't care, etc). However, I'm very proud of myself for sticking with it. I learned the reality of things in life. Not everyone is pleasent (in or outside of school) and it has made me extremely greatful for the friends that I now have. I will never take them for granted or discard them. I want to travel to other parts of the world and perhaps live there but I would always go out of my way to keep contact and see them every so often no matter what the personal sacrific is. If I were to do a good deed (like fix the water problem for example), I wouldn't do it because of my own misary or dead end education. I would do it because it was something I felt was right and had a passion to do.

This is my own personal opinion due to my own life experiances. The decision is totally up to you. The thing you have to do is consider all possibilities and go with what you think will make you happier in life with fewer regrets. I wish you all of the best in whatever you happen to choose.  

Sentinel of Light

Blessed Kitten

TaijimaNarumi

Bashful Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:43 am
User Image
User Image

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★User Image★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

I say helping those people out!

I was home schooled from 1st and 6th-12th grade.
I went public school for PreK, kindergarten, 2nd-5th.
Home schooling is good, but you need to be very disciplined.
Plus you have more freedom to choose what you like to study.
Also I graduated and went to college no problem with out a sort of diploma.
Home schooling is accepted as a form of education in most areas especially in the USA.
Also most colleges will let you in with just a home schooling degree.

♪♫♪If I Know You-The Presets♪♫♪

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★User Image★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 am

You seem to say it yourself with how you present the idea. The place you say is chaotic, and you don't learn anything.

Obviously, 2.  

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items