Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Do you believe celebrities should be allowed to.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

On the topic of celebrities and other rich people...
  They are SO selfish!
  Are you kidding!? I would LOVE to be in their shoes. blah blah blah limit
  You have a point, but you gotta admit, who wouldn't wanna be so f***** rich you could use the money for toilet paper!?
  no opinion [cuz 1) I just want the gold or 2) I'm just too chicken to say what I really think afraid of how others will judge me. 3) I really don't care. my lifes great!]
View Results

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:36 pm
Do you believe celebrities should be allowed to horde all the money that they do? It's not fair. Especially billionaires. Me and my mom were talking about what the US ought to do to fix the HUMONGOUS gap between the poor and the rich. She thinks that ANYONE who makes over a certain limit should have all that extra money taken away and redistributed throughout the states or where its needed. Like the federal government would give some of the money they confiscated to New Orleans, or us the tax payers because of this darn recession, and other problem/poor areas. It should be fed into developing the infrastructure: schools, hospitals, and the other important stuff. Health care, banks. anywhere that could use the extra money. of course the most desperate areas first.

Sweet Days! blaugh
_Secret_Angel_3 heart 4laugh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 pm
Nope i reckon if they have the smarts and the skills to get it, then they should keep it. The government taxes whatever they get anyway, so a portion of what they earn does go towards schools, hospitals etc. But if i earn over a certain amount, theres no one that could take more than my tax off me xd  

Iconised Ghost

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:34 am
Iconised Ghost
Nope i reckon if they have the smarts and the skills to get it, then they should keep it.

scream What skills and brains? they get paid to have fun and kiss on TV! that's not smart.
Acting = fun. Athletes = fun. "Music Artists" = fun. teachers = benefit to society.
acting/athlete/artists paycheck = 10000000000000000000000
benefit to society paycheck = .00000000000000000000001
That is the most unfair thing ever. If I was billionaire I would give away my money by the billions and only keep...mmmm about 3 million to myself and family. If I was a billionaire I would be able to afford rebuilding third world countries! which is exactly what I would do. and then maybe africa. fund scholarship programs. It's my dream to become a billionaire so I can do just that. If anything, all these celebrities should go back to school to learn a thing or too about what really matters in today's world. like global warming and its effects, poverty, heck the US's own recession even. Oh! They need to learn that it's their own overly luxurious life styles that are destroying the Earth. Oh there are so many things I want to say.
celebrities disgust me evil
well not all of them. personally I don't ever want to rich and famous cuz it screws up your life in case you haven't noticed. Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Jamie Lynn Spears, Daniel Radcliffe anyone?
I like Woopi though! xd Only self-repecting actor I ever saw. I watch her on the View and she's my fave biggrin I kinda respect Tyra Banks, Beyonce, and oh whats her name, the "conservative" actor who has a no nude contract whee can't remember... dark skin dark hair I think...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:17 pm
The world is unfair, there will always be people who earn more money/have better jobs/ seem to get everything they want and there will always be people who have nothing. The rich will never give up what they have because they feel they have earned it, and half the time as long as they are happy they dont give a damn about the rest of the world. Just a sad fact of life.
Personally, I don't care much about the rich and famous. They can do what they like - they have free will and the same right to do what they like with their money as everyone else.  

FireBroken

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:41 pm
i think you will find that especially athletes and music artists work exceptionally hard, even if they enjoy their job. And tax is a percentage of your earnings, so if you are a teacher you are going to pay the same percentage in tax as someone earning a lot more, but less actual dollars. So if a teacher was earning about $50,000 a year, they would be paying $17,500 around about in tax (or they would be over here). If someone was earning $10000000000000000000000 like you think actors and athletes and artists do, they would be paying $3,500,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 Which is a fair amount to contribute to society i think  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:12 am
The big numbers were exaggerations to make a point.
But anyway. I still believe that the rich have a responsibility to the rest of the world. They got lucky and made it big. It's time to give back to society for real other than the sound of the voices or the images of their bodies. Sure they may pay the same proportionally speaking but in fact they are paying nothing compared to their pay checks. Sorry to bring up religion but I don't know how else to explain my view. We have this thing called The Day of Judgement in which you will be asked what you did in your life. You will be questioned about EVERYTHING, how you spent your time money and efforts etc. Now, the more you were given during your lifetime the more questions your gonna be asked. Those who are given more have more of a responsibility to give back. Why is it that those who have recieved less end up giving more back to society than those who were given more. If you wre born beautiful you are gonna be asked What did you do with your beauty? Flaunting it and using it as a weapon would be the wrong thing. covering up would have been the good thing. You were given a good home, a complete family, 2 eyes, 2 ears, a voice, 2 legs, good health. How did you use it? Soiling you eyes and ears and voice with thing you shouldn't see, hear, or speak would be the bad thing. Using your voice to make inspirational speaches would have been the good thing. Using you eyes, legs, and hands to pick up trash while you walk would have been the good thing. You were given good health. Polluting your body with alcohol and drugs would have been the bad thing. Staying in shape and treating yourself right would have been the good thing.
The point is you will be asked about EVERYTHING. the more you have now, the more questions you will be asked later.
Money makes the world go round, and celebrities and other rich people have tons of money. They have the power to make change for the better but they don't. at least not as much as they should. What good is it for a billionaire to donate 1 million to charities. it means nothing. if you're a billionaire, 1 million is nothing. The rich have more of a responsibility to this world than any other people (your smarts? did you waste it or did you do something meaningful with your life). It stumps me why they don't do more. Doesn't anyone agree with me that the rich should do more than just pose for the camera and laugh on TV? Doesn't anyone agree that limits in paycheck should be pushed onto them? SO much good could be done with that money, but it's wasted in the pockets of brainless and careless actors and athletes. I find it all so sad.  

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:59 pm
Secret Angel 3
The big numbers were exaggerations to make a point.
But anyway. I still believe that the rich have a responsibility to the rest of the world. They got lucky and made it big.

they worked hard, had a little bit of luck, and made it big.

And when you think about it, its society that made them big in the first place. A movie star only makes as much as society is willing to pay to see their movies

And i dont believe in the day of judgement, so that arguement was pretty wasted on me >.<  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:49 pm
I explained that so you could understand where I'm coming from. and that totally figures. which only proves the things me and my mom discuss. but anyway.
yes. they worked hard. worked hard on having fun and then flaunting their money and then getting drunk and landing their not sorry butts in jail.
I really don't feel like arguing now. I'll come back and edit this later...

yeah that's right I didn't put my sig for once...

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:22 am
i understand where you are coming from, but the argument only did that, it wasnt convincing for me  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 am
I think it'd be nice if the rich did that on their own, but I think I doubt it'd be something the government would do to them. Officials would be too worried about what would happen come time for elections. It seems natural for us to be upset about it cause we're on the other end of the stick watching them get richer while we and others constantly struggle, but that's life, I guess. I see where you're coming from cause in a way, it bugs me how our country is always trying to assist other countries when our own citizens need help themselves. We have homeless people, we have starving children, we have natural disasters that displace ppl from there homes.. Why can't we fix what's wrong here first before trying to help another country fix what's wrong there. I mean, I know it doesn't sound nice, but I've always been told you need to be strong for yourself before you can be strong for someone else. It just doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it's all in the game of politics.

But we should give some of them credit.. not all of them horde. There are lots of them that donate to charitable causes. It just doesn't feel that way because there are so many people out there that need help popping up every day.

oHNo3

Shameless Grabber

15,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cool Cat 500

animefreec

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:53 pm
Secret Angel 3
Do you believe celebrities should be allowed to horde all the money that they do? It's not fair. Especially billionaires. Me and my mom were talking about what the US ought to do to fix the HUMONGOUS gap between the poor and the rich. She thinks that ANYONE who makes over a certain limit should have all that extra money taken away and redistributed throughout the states or where its needed. Like the federal government would give some of the money they confiscated to New Orleans, or us the tax payers because of this darn recession, and other problem/poor areas. It should be fed into developing the infrastructure: schools, hospitals, and the other important stuff. Health care, banks. anywhere that could use the extra money. of course the most desperate areas first.

Sweet Days! blaugh

i doubt that that would work because mostly the government can't be trusted in handling money cause they'd just take a lot of it for themselves. and some rich people DO donate to salvation army and stuffs like that. schools, at least public schools feed off of the tax money, so if they gave to private schools(which does happen sometimes) that would probably be put to better use. but some rich people work very hard for the success that they have come into and thats their money. some people haven't worked AS hard but i think most of the time if you work really hard and show skill then you can become great.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:05 pm
oHNo3
I think it'd be nice if the rich did that on their own, but I think I doubt it'd be something the government would do to them. Officials would be too worried about what would happen come time for elections. It seems natural for us to be upset about it cause we're on the other end of the stick watching them get richer while we and others constantly struggle, but that's life, I guess. I see where you're coming from cause in a way, it bugs me how our country is always trying to assist other countries when our own citizens need help themselves. We have homeless people, we have starving children, we have natural disasters that displace ppl from there homes.. Why can't we fix what's wrong here first before trying to help another country fix what's wrong there. I mean, I know it doesn't sound nice, but I've always been told you need to be strong for yourself before you can be strong for someone else. It just doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it's all in the game of politics.

But we should give some of them credit.. not all of them horde. There are lots of them that donate to charitable causes. It just doesn't feel that way because there are so many people out there that need help popping up every day.

i agree, you need to fix problems at home first, before you go around trying to fix everyone elses. its why i would never donate money to something like the 40 hour famine, i would rather donate to our own salvation army or other charities in my own country

Some celebrities do donate some of their money- didnt angelina jolie and brad pitt donate something like $1.3 million from their baby photos?  

Iconised Ghost

oHNo3

Shameless Grabber

15,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:55 pm
Iconised Ghost

i agree, you need to fix problems at home first, before you go around trying to fix everyone elses. its why i would never donate money to something like the 40 hour famine, i would rather donate to our own salvation army or other charities in my own country

Some celebrities do donate some of their money- didnt angelina jolie and brad pitt donate something like $1.3 million from their baby photos?

I'd rather donate to our own salv. army and goodwills too. It just makes more sense to me. I think people just get caught up in all of the stories on television they see.. not realizing that there are many families and children in the US with "stories" of their own and deserve to be helped just as much as those that get thrown on a telethon from other countries if not more since they're actually IN the US.

I believe I read somewhere that Brad and Angelina make donations almost regularly to charitable organizations.. here and to other countries. I applaud them for their efforts. Not many would freely give large amounts of money like that to help others.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 pm
How coincidental. They're my favorite Hollywood couple. but I digress

I agree with the helping at home thing first. but when you're making billions, giving away millions just doesn't seem like enough. not to me anyway. i respect your opinions. if I ever got to be as rich as them I would continue to live in my two story house instead of moving to a mansion like JK Rowling did and give away all my money very smartly. I would definitely not give to governments because like someone said they can't be trusted. but I think we can trust Barrack. but that is a different story.

some celebs end up bankrupt because of all their spending. I actually don't care that they are rich and I'm not. it doesn't bother me in the least. Celebs have messed up lives. and being an actor means having to give up modesty which I won't do. I'm happy being middle class. it just angers me that they have so much wealth, and money makes the world go round. they could do SO much good. they could rebuild third world countries if they wanted to. I think I'm repeating myself now.

anyway, it doesn't seem right. what good is there in being rich if all your remembered for is acting in a rated R movie? I'd rather be remembered as the world's savior rofl dramallama

I just thought of 2 new posts!

I think I'll end it here for this one. I just wanted to know if there was ANYONE who agreed with me. apparently not.

Sweet Days! blaugh

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:26 am
Secret Angel 3

I'd rather be remembered as the world's savior rofl dramallama

me too mrgreen but i think thats a matter of preference, and it shouldnt be law that you have to give up more if you earn more  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff