Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Human Breast Milk for Ice Cream??
  Yes, it's better
  No way, keep the cow's milk
View Results

Champagne98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:55 am
Since I know everyone doesn't go into the Phunkeh Thread, I figured I would bring this up on it's own topic, open for discussion. And yes, in most cases I support PETA, but not in all instances (and yes, I eat meat).

I was told by a friend of mine that PETA wants ice cream companies, such as Ben & Jerry's, to stop using cow's milk as an ingredient as it "demeans" the cow. Instead, they want these companies to start using human breast milk.

In my own opinion, that would just be wrong. First off, while human breast milk is good for BABIES, I know a guy who, while his wife was breast feeding their baby, got a drink of her breast milk. The politest way of putting the results is... he was stuck in the bathroom for hours.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Meet Passion Rose
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Click on my eggs, help them hatch! Please!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:01 am
PETA has gone insane? Perhaps you should read their comics. They are batshit crazy.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Champagne98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:06 am
lol

they might be batshit crazy, but now they've gone far past that...

I mean, would YOU eat ice cream made of human breast milk if you knew that you'd be spending hours in the bathrooom afterwards?

Meet Passion Rose
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:20 am
And yet they want the cows to suffer,the cows DO NEED TO BE MILKED if they don't they'll be in pain and their teats will get infected.

sorry I had that bottled up for a bit too long and it needed out sweatdrop

no I would rather stay outta the bathroom thanks eek

Yuki_Windira

Spoopy Bibliophile

Champagne98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:34 am
I know... those poor cows shouldn't have to suffer because PETA is STUPID!!!

Meet Passion Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:44 am
Yep, PETA has been crazy for a long time... Crazier than me, 'cause at least I'm a fun crazy... sweatdrop

So, along with the fact that the cows would get all sorts of problems from not getting milk and getting diarhhea every time you have an ice cream cone would suck majorly... How are they suggesting we harvest this breast milk? Just... get a bunch of women pregnant, and get them to keep lactating after they're done nursing and send them to a factory somewhere to get milked every day? Send it in the mail? Ewwww, it'd spoil in the post! gonk

What's interesting is that we were talking about breastmilk in art just the other day... Not the class, just the people I was sitting with...
Aaaand... who's with me on starting an organization that says that you should treat the plants fairly 'cause they're living and have feelings too, so therefor the PETA people should eat dirt or something? confused  

Lobo-chan

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:48 am
sweatdrop Extremism in any form is never a good thing. It just doesn't work. There's this little thing called "grey area" that makes it impossible for an extreme side to be always correct all the time.

I totally agree with animal rights. While I wouldn't do it myself, I can sympathize with PETA's stand against fur. Unless you're living out in the wild, we really don't need to harm animals to make clothing anymore. It's a luxury. However, PETA saying that taking milk from cows is wrong is like saying taking wool from sheep is wrong. If it doesn't hurt the animal, and it's something the animal isn't going to use, then letting it go to waste would be a terrible thing! Cows need to be milked. What should we do with that milk? Throw it away? That, I feel, would be even more an insult to the cow. Here's an animal that produced something amazing, and PETA thinks it shouldn't get used?

Also...human breast milk in ice cream? Are they ******** crazy? gonk That makes no sense for about a trillion reasons. Even if you get down to the fact that it's just milk, and really not gross....it still makes no sense.

I like that some members of PETA protect animals...but the ones who go that far piss me off, because it's those psychos who make anyone who stands up for animal rights look like a psycho as well. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:46 am
User Image
The only reason this is bad is because of the amount of milk a single woman can produce VS how much a single cow can.

Cows can produce about 25 gallons of milk in a single day were as a woman on a good day could produce roughly 75 ounces, so their production line is going to have to be smaller, or they're going to have to hire A LOT of people to lactate for them.

There is nothing wrong with Human Breastmilk, the reaction of that ONE MAN is not the common for people in western cultures. Consuming human breastmilk is better for you than cow milk in every aspect. You can right now buy Human Breastmilk and cheese and ice cream from natrualist stores and websites.

Cows don't NEED to be milked. If they were to feed the calf and the ween it like any other mammal they would just stop producing milk. What do you think wild and beef cows do? Milk each other?

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV2.0

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:18 am
Kals is questing again!
What GTR said. Cow will only suffer for a few days after you stop milking them, like my sister in law when her daughter suddenly decided that nursing time was actually bitey-bitey time and was therefore suddenly weaned. She went around saying "ow my boobs" for a few days and they spontaneously squirted milk in the shower now and then until they got the message that they were no longer needed.

It's actually very unnatural for humans to be able to consume milk in any form past a certain age. People who are lactose intolerant are actually the normal people, those who have no problem with dairy products are mutants. Go evolution!

Also for what it's worth, human milk has a higher sugar content than cow milk, so it might make for a richer tasting ice cream. Horse's milk apparently tastes quite similar to human milk, I've been told.

And yes, PETA has always been off their collective rocker. Oh... Kyla: Plants don't have nervous systems, so they can't feel pain. That just makes them more helpless and in need of protection. xd

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:51 am
*QFEA@KALS*

I don't like cruel treatment of animals like many people, but PETA in general has methods that are just wrong. So wrong. I want animals treated ethically, but not in the way PETA demands, nor in the way that they are demanding.  

Sentama Lin

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 am
User Image
The only reason that Peta is pushing for this now is because of the report of a Swiss restaurant supplementing their dairy products for 75% Breast Milk.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:43 am
Hey, I just report what I was told, and thought it would be a good discussion, and it looks like I was right. Granted, I hate to see animals abused, but milking cows is not abuse. Plus when you milk a nursing cow, just like when a woman starts breastfeeding an infant, milking/nursing brings in more milk, but cows can produce much more milk than a woman, and cow milk doesn't go bad as quickly. Granted, all milk goes bad after a while, but human breast milk can only be stored in a refrigerator for 24 hours, while cow's milk can be stored until the expiration date (about two weeks in most cases).

Meet Passion Rose

Champagne98

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:54 am
User Image
Wow, that's just a whole bunch of wrong.

First of all you can't compare Pasturized Cow milk and Fresh Breast Milk. Of course the Cow Milk will last longer it has been processed to last longer. Second of all you can keep fresh breast milk for 2 - 3 days in a regular fridge, two months in a freezer or six months in a Deep Freeze (Only because they're colder and not opened as often). But we've stored it for up to four days with no problems.

The amount of milk that is increased by continual expressing is minimal. This is why we breed milk cows based on how much milk they create, so that later generations will have larger teats and more mammary glands.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:59 am
Processed milk can be stored for longer because it's been processed, removing some of the fat, letting the parts separate out and skimming off some of the excess extends it's shelf life, given time the same process could be used for breast milk. I'm not sure if I would buy breast milk. I go through alot of milk in a week and cows have a greater yield.

I've seen some of the things that are done to milking cows and sometimes the practices aren't the best, but pushing to chance the target of a bad system does not make the system better. I say keep milking cows but make something that is a little easier on the cows.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Click my eggs/hatchlings to make them grow please.

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Champagne98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 am
As far as storing breast milk, I was going by what my doctors were telling me when I had my oldest (almost 8 years ago now).

As for the method of treatment for cows, I know, I've seen pics, but I also have seen a "natural" dairy farm here, where the cows are all out in a pasture, and they're milked by hand, not by machine. Luckily, that's only about 10-15 miles from where I live and their milk is sold around here, so when I can afford it, that's what I buy. I've been known though to go through about ten gallons a week in my house when we have milk, mainly because of my girls when they come over, but also the four adults in the household.

Meet Passion Rose
Meet Passion Lilac

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff