[Drugs] Responsible Drug Use By The Healthy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm
Towards Responsible Use of Cognitive-Enhancing Drugs by the Healthy

Apparently it's becoming a trend for college students to utilise drugs like Ritalin and Adderal (stimulant used to calm ADD/ADHD symptoms) not for recreation but cognitive aids to improve and enhance their study habits.

Discuss: Responsible Drug Usage; Is This Responsible?; If This Is Allowed What of Other Drugs?

My View

There's always going to be an abuse on drug usage, I feel. Even if it is made illegal college students, and others who want such a performance boost, will find a way to get them. In addition, I find nothing wrong with adults who understand the risk and take the medication responsibly. As such, I'd be for making a market for drugs as such.

However, it does raise this question: how is this different from steroid use? Both kinds of drugs enhance the human body in some form. And I'm sure that there are side effects to both drugs.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:04 pm
As well all know, I'm fully for recreational drug use, even if it is an ILLEGAL drug being used. For this, I'm seeing use in it. This people understand the risks as you've said, and it is beneficial for them. It helps them focus on their studies, and gives them the energy required to keep going ahead with the work.

I will say though that these kinds of drugs are VERY different than steroids. Steroids DO give improvement to the body, but usually come with very dangerous risks. Addiction, ODing on even small amounts, and things like that. They also hurt the body at the same time as "helping" it. Now, I'll say that even if students are taking these pills, they still need to sleep, and these drugs shouldn't be used as a way of getting around the need for sleep. I'd say that this would be an excellent market for overworked and stressed college students, but it would definitely need to be regulated for safety purposes.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 pm
How would one manage things like this though? I suppose the way I would do it is a kind of prescription system, where a doctor can prescribe you usage of these pills and specifies safe volumes of medication to take at a time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:11 pm
Illegal drug use is also referred to as self-medication in therapyspeak/psychobabble. It's really the most accurate way to describe it.

I think that it's a choice, legal or no. I weigh the risks and benefits and would probably choose not to abuse Ritalin, although if I were hypothetically to make that choice, I would begin with the lowest available dosage, order a 90 day supply (perfectly legal) and go from there.

If it's not a controlled substance (narcotic) you can buy them in Mexico/Canada/Europe and/or order off the Internet. This is not illegal, but it is frowned upon in some cases.

Ordering off the Internet is relatively easy and can be fairly anonymous. For example, I can go to my local shopping mall and buy a gift card with a visa/mastercard logo and use it to make Internet purchases without having my credit checked through the bureaus. That means that even kids with no credit can now do it fairly easily.  

Chiagreens_attyatlaw

Milk and Holy Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 pm
I believe that the right to self-medicate is fundamental. As a human being, not being in control of what goes into our bodies and what we chose to do with our bodies, is absolutely insane. Legislature that prevents people from using to the most ancient, perennial, and natural chemical technology because of dangerous side effects is like saying that humans shouldn't have access to water because it's dangerous. Anyone can drown in a tap. Only an idiot overdoses. When an idiot overdoses, there is one less idiot. Complete prohibition has NEVER worked. It doesn't work. More people overdose now because of a complete lack of medical knowledge and complete alienation from our shamans (who end up in prisons or psychiatric wards, as all who offer any real freedom in this world do).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 pm
I look at it like this: everything you put into your body is a medication of some kind. EVERYTHING. Therefore, it is your responsibility to become EDUCATED about what exactly you are doing with yourself and why, as well as what the side effects will be. The problem with the idea of letting everyone go hog-wild is that many substances have effects that are permanent and cumulative, and as the users get older they decide they made a bad decision (oops) and then...expect other people to help them cope. So yeah, go ahead and self-medicate. When the side effects hit you, suck it the hell up. I'm not your maid, clean up your own mess. Make your problems my problems, and I should have the right to shoot you.

Nasty side effects that I have run across:
-LSD: one-time user...his new life's ambition was to someday stop THE VOICES. Wow. Oh, and of course, flashbacks at random and probably inconvenient times.
-Ritalin: Panic attacks, heart problems, difficulty concentrating (hold the phone...), and an inability to decipher social cues (and this was a kid WITH the diagnosis)
-Marijuana: paranoia, difficulty concentrating or completing simple tasks, erectile dysfunction (at 33, mind, and largely irreversible), and flying into uncontrolled rages
-Cocaine: cutting off one's own p***s (interesting...); failing that, heart problems possibly leading to a heart attack (the guy I knew pulled through okay, thank goodness)
-Ecstasy: remember that lady who ran over a guy while driving home, drove home with him stuck in the windshield, went inside and had some fantastic sex (I hear it's great while you're on this stuff), and then wandered into the garage daily to ask forgiveness of the guy STILL STUCK IN THE WINDSHIELD until he finally died? ...Yeah...I'm guessing pursuit of physical pleasure kinda...dulls your ability to make good decisions...[This is the only one I don't really have a lot of experience in treating - oh yeah, this one and shrooms...]
-PSP: repeatedly stabbing and then oven-roasting the child he was left to babysit because it was "the son of Satan" (this was in the 80s); more recently, a man who stripped himself naked and then walked outside and smashed neighborhood cars with a chunk of rebar. Naked. This one often involves "Incredible Hulk" type issues - feeling invincible, doing stupidly dangerous things, taking vast amounts of damage...often waiting to die until the high wears off (that was three bullets, including a head shot). And you get flashbacks, so you can't always control when the high will hit you.
-Anti-depressants: feeling vague and floaty, completely unable to connect with other people, and of course suicidal tendencies (because that's not what it's supposed to CURE, right?), aggressive tendencies in young folks (did you know that, for that reason, it's only supposed to be prescribed for minors in EXTREME cases? Wow, we've got a lot of extreme cases, huh?),and let's not forget that it has been shown to cause brain damage in babies if the mother takes them while pregnant
-Tobacco: lung cancer, thinning of arterial walls (sploosh), and smelling foul (that one's easy)
-Alcohol: digestive and bowel issues, erectile dysfunction (this is the more reversible kind), impaired motor skills and judgment
-Heroin: rotten teeth, constipation, terrible hygiene (I don't know why this goes with heroin but it does), sometimes causes death due to excessive relaxation of the heart (it is a muscle relaxer, after all), and it's a complete b***h to kick the habit
-Crystal Meth: a strange compulsion to take apart everything in the vicinity, nervous tics, sweating, massive weight loss and accompanying organ failure
-Caffeine: increased likelihood of careless mistakes, nervous repetitive movement, aggravates heart problems, causes insomnia and irritability

And those are just the most popular choices. Note that I in no way say you can't/shouldn't use any of the above. By all means, take your pick. But own the damn risks and consequences. It isn't my fault if you develop a problem due to inadequate foresight. I shouldn't have to pay for your subsequent treatment, housing or food. And if your lack of judgment while under the influence hurts me or mine, don't hide behind the drug to avoid responsibility. If you took the drug, you took the risk.  

Yvaine

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:18 am
Yvaine

-Cocaine: cutting off one's own p***s (interesting...); failing that, heart problems possibly leading to a heart attack (the guy I knew pulled through okay, thank goodness)

-Ecstasy: remember that lady who ran over a guy while driving home, drove home with him stuck in the windshield, went inside and had some fantastic sex (I hear it's great while you're on this stuff), and then wandered into the garage daily to ask forgiveness of the guy STILL STUCK IN THE WINDSHIELD until he finally died? ...Yeah...I'm guessing pursuit of physical pleasure kinda...dulls your ability to make good decisions...[This is the only one I don't really have a lot of experience in treating - oh yeah, this one and shrooms...]

-PSP: repeatedly stabbing and then oven-roasting the child he was left to babysit because it was "the son of Satan" (this was in the 80s); more recently, a man who stripped himself naked and then walked outside and smashed neighborhood cars with a chunk of rebar. Naked. This one often involves "Incredible Hulk" type issues - feeling invincible, doing stupidly dangerous things, taking vast amounts of damage...often waiting to die until the high wears off (that was three bullets, including a head shot). And you get flashbacks, so you can't always control when the high will hit you.

-Heroin: rotten teeth, constipation, terrible hygiene (I don't know why this goes with heroin but it does), sometimes causes death due to excessive relaxation of the heart (it is a muscle relaxer, after all), and it's a complete b***h to kick the habit

Cocaine - If they cut off their p***s, then they had problems to begin with. Cocaine doesn't alter your mental state. It gives you s**t tons of energy. It makes you last for hours during sex. But it will not change your mental status and make it seem like a great idea to cut off your own d**k.

Ecstasy - 1. Yeah, it does make sex feel fantastic. 2. If she was going into the garage for a few days to ask forgiveness of this guy, then the lady had something wrong with her. She should have called the cops after the FANTASTIC sex, or at least when she came down from her high ( average high lasts between 2 - 6 hours depending on stack, type, and dosage you took ) It will raise your pursuit for pleasure, and makes you less likely think about staying safe. The addiction is also insanely hard to kick.

PSP - I believe you mean PCP, and yeah, basically most of what you said is fully accurate on this one. It also has tendencies to make the person cannibalistic when they go mad. They will do ANYTHING to escape or protect themselves from something they think will hurt them, including killing and eating someone.

Heroin - Terrible Hygiene is caused by some skin issues that are caused from the heroin use. Well, that and the fact that the person fails to care about anything more than getting their next fix. Also, it's not really a muscle relaxer per-se. It's a pain killer. The second Heroin hits your brain, it turns into Morphine. That's all Heroin really is. Also, yes, it is a completely b***h to kick.

I'm in no way trying to attack your post saying you're completely wrong, I was just clearing up a few points and correcting 1 or 2 things. Most of the information in your post is accurate. Glad to see someone else that feels that using is fine, as long as it doesn't become abusing. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 pm
Yvaine
I look at it like this: everything you put into your body is a medication of some kind. EVERYTHING. Therefore, it is your responsibility to become EDUCATED about what exactly you are doing with yourself and why, as well as what the side effects will be. The problem with the idea of letting everyone go hog-wild is that many substances have effects that are permanent and cumulative, and as the users get older they decide they made a bad decision (oops) and then...expect other people to help them cope. So yeah, go ahead and self-medicate. When the side effects hit you, suck it the hell up. I'm not your maid, clean up your own mess. Make your problems my problems, and I should have the right to shoot you.

Nasty side effects that I have run across:
-LSD: one-time user...his new life's ambition was to someday stop THE VOICES. Wow. Oh, and of course, flashbacks at random and probably inconvenient times.
-Ritalin: Panic attacks, heart problems, difficulty concentrating (hold the phone...), and an inability to decipher social cues (and this was a kid WITH the diagnosis)
-Marijuana: paranoia, difficulty concentrating or completing simple tasks, erectile dysfunction (at 33, mind, and largely irreversible), and flying into uncontrolled rages
-Anti-depressants: feeling vague and floaty, completely unable to connect with other people, and of course suicidal tendencies (because that's not what it's supposed to CURE, right?), aggressive tendencies in young folks (did you know that, for that reason, it's only supposed to be prescribed for minors in EXTREME cases? Wow, we've got a lot of extreme cases, huh?),and let's not forget that it has been shown to cause brain damage in babies if the mother takes them while pregnant
-Tobacco: lung cancer, thinning of arterial walls (sploosh), and smelling foul (that one's easy)
-Alcohol: digestive and bowel issues, erectile dysfunction (this is the more reversible kind), impaired motor skills and judgment
-Crystal Meth: a strange compulsion to take apart everything in the vicinity, nervous tics, sweating, massive weight loss and accompanying organ failure
-Caffeine: increased likelihood of careless mistakes, nervous repetitive movement, aggravates heart problems, causes insomnia and irritability

And those are just the most popular choices. Note that I in no way say you can't/shouldn't use any of the above. By all means, take your pick. But own the damn risks and consequences. It isn't my fault if you develop a problem due to inadequate foresight. I shouldn't have to pay for your subsequent treatment, housing or food. And if your lack of judgment while under the influence hurts me or mine, don't hide behind the drug to avoid responsibility. If you took the drug, you took the risk.

i do wonder why you seem so personally insulted, saying "i'm not your maid" and whatnot. when did anyone ever ask you to be responsible for the decisions you make.

you just kinda sound like a terribly bitchy person when you say things like that, and it makes it very difficult to take things you say seriously.  

Milk and Holy Water

Yvaine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm
Wow, yeah, I did mean PCP. PSP just gives you nervous tics, carpal tunnel syndrome, and eye strain. whee

I get a bit bitchy because of the number of people I've known who go all out on "self-medication" and then have more or less zero self-sufficiency or self-censoring, but expect me to feel bad and accommodate them because they're "having a hard time". It's like they get stuck in permanent adolescence, and it makes my teeth itch.

Of course, I have the same problem with people who blindly take whatever their doctor prescribes without learning what it is, how it works, and what the side effects are.

Maybe I should just say I have a problem with the willfully uneducated, and I feel that stupidity should be painful.  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games