B
  C
  D
  E
  None of the above
View Results

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:56 pm
Well, I'm writing an essay about school, and in my research for it I read a lot of articles that say how good US public schools are.

Warning: long and annoying rant below.

What the hell. Our teachers are "highly skilled" ? In fourth grade I had a question in math and when I asked the teacher, she said "Sorry, but math isn't my forte." I get that, but if you don't even know multiplication get then why are you teaching me?!?! And it's not just math, this teacher thought Greenland was a continent, that the picture of Russia on the map was actually Europe, and other ridiculous things. While I realize this is only one teacher, I've had other pathetic teachers and I'm sure there are tons out there. I think it's kind of sad if your English teacher, no matter how nice, gets all her insights and materials for a book from SparkNotes. It's also just a bit sad if they say they spent a long time designing 93428023942 worksheets when you know for a fact they just copied them from another teacher. And teachers in general don't have an excuse to waste paper in the name of education. How can you justify printing ONE QUESTION per piece of paper in a packet?!?! For an entire classroom?!?! And don't you think that someone claiming the work of another student as their own WITH EVIDENCE should be punished?! And first you say we have TONS of time between classes to be on time, since there's just so much time between the bells, and yet hold us after class because "the bell doesn't dismiss you, the teacher does" without passes. Maybe you only assign an hour of homework each night, but so do the uh, 6-7 other teachers we have. Maybe you're not the only teacher that exists!! Just maybe! And the adminstration is also fairly retarded. I got into this program for outside classes, that are definitely 10000x better than the ones offered at my (public) school, and have valid high school credits. So maybe you can't accept that, understandable. But you encourage me to take it and promise you'll do your best to make it happen, but when the school year starts don't even ask about it and I have to take 3 extra classes as "enrichment" ?! Does that even make sense?!

I somehow started addressing the second person. But anyway, discuss:

schools
your school experience
bad teachers
what you do/don't hate about school
pathetic and immature ranting  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:47 pm
Yeah ....school....uggh. If I get into this, my rant will definitely top yours. So, I wont do that. Instead, I'll offer you my sympathy and assurances that high school will end...eventually.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:03 pm
I'm a freshman so the wait has just started. :[ *sigh*

The saddest part is that my school is pretty good compared to the average one. AKA the average US public school is pretty terrible. :/  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:08 pm
Well, there's always the possibility of graduating early? Or if not that, at least maybe getting some off periods later on...like when you're a senior or something. Not much in the way of comfort really but, take it from me - it's better to go ahead and do things right the first time. Else, you could end up in a special high school at age 20. Trying to remember school crap after summer break was tough...after 3 years though? That was....hell. sweatdrop  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

124-C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:12 pm
In my opinion, the public school system is inherently flawed. Those that do well in the system are the most likely to become teachers. Since the system worked for them, there's no reason to change it. In the meantime, there is a whole group of young people that are failed by a system that doesn't work for them (mostly because lessons are given primarily in audible format, which automatically stresses approximately 2/3 of the student population) and they never get to a point that they are able to reform the system.

Oh, and the school year makes me want to do things in nine month cycles. Seriously, I get eight and a half months into something and get antsy because "it's time to be done"...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:13 pm
Most teachers are well equipped to do their jobs and know quite a bit. (I, however, like doing my math homework in my Literate Class to mess with him. He hates calculus). You will see that the teachers for you underclassmen just aren't as good as other teacher, but most are good. Crying about homework doesn't do anything, and what they call an hour is really 10 minutes of real focused work (unless it's an AP class then you just take less AP classes). You have enough time between classes if you go to your locker every two classes.

Just keep at it and don't take it so seriously  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:18 pm
Everyone's entitled to cry about homework. You just ignore him Turt. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:18 pm
Not until they have to read "Heart of Darkness" it's not work until you read that ********!  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm
talk2hand I never had to read that....and I say my homework was work. It's all work. Tedious, pointless, forgettable, annoying work.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:23 pm
Now, see, I took advanced classes to avoid homework...  

124-C

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:24 pm
Then you haven't done homework Alarias!

Tusji- How did that work? I have to do a s**t load of reading in all my AP classes  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:26 pm
@Sav - I repeat : talk2hand  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

124-C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:28 pm
I was smart enough to pass the classes without studying. Additionally, the teachers just assume that the students in advanced classes will study on their own, so they don't assign any busy work...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:29 pm
124-C
I was smart enough to pass the classes without studying. Additionally, the teachers just assume that the students in advanced classes will study on their own, so they don't assign any busy work...

What type of classes did you take? Your approach dosen'twork well in literature.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

124-C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:40 pm
Biology, Chemistry (Honors, not AP), History, Calculus, Computer Sciences, US Political Science, Human Geography, and Psychology.

I had "regular" English courses for the duration of my schooling, but that was ok. Very few of those classes required busy work and the stories we read were generally way below my level...  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff