Reply Community Lounge
Food Conundrum Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:08 pm
I have a conundrum regarding my mother's irresponsibility (I've mentioned this many times before). My mom said she would buy groceries for the family today after she gets her paycheck but, once again, she hasn't fallen on her word. I've checked the kitchen and there really isn't any food at all. Like, no food.

One option I have is I do have my current earnings for my grocery budget next month (I don't work next month and I was planning to use the entire month to work on my design portfolio and search for jobs) and I have my emergency savings (currently about 100 USD since I just fixed up the fiasco that my mom did to my accounts). I could easily buy food for the family, though probably for only about a week before it severely hurts my grocery budget for the entire month of January.

However, if I purchase food, my mother will know that I have money and will do everything to get me to pay for anything else and I can't do that; I can't afford to pay for anything else, and I'd like to keep savings intact (because that's what savings are for). My psychologist would tell me to do what I need to do first before helping out my immediate family, but it's still a conundrum.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 pm
Honestly I think you need to worry about yourself first. Your mom will HAVE to eventually buy groceries if she wants to eat herself. All you'll do by buying the groceries yourself is give your mom a crutch so she doesn't have to spend the money herself. I really do think that buying those groceries will only cause you more problems.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:14 pm
I know that's what I need to do, but the thought of essentially having my aunt and my sisters, who haven't done anything, potentially have no food is a really bad thought.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:16 pm
Yeah but they can always bug your mom about it constantly until she gets off her a**. They can't always depend on you either to pick up the slack when your mom doesn't.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:20 pm
Yeah, I know, and I know that they understand that (because they told me themselves). It's still an uncomfortable feeling regardless.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 pm
I understand Lin, but you've gotta take care of yourself. I'm sure your sisters and aunt would want you to make sure you're taken care of and not left without food cause you were helping them.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:26 pm
Alrighty... I guess I'll just have fun here then, as odd-feeling as it is, it's better than other ideas.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Yes, yes it is *clings* And we want our Lin to be well taken care of and have plenty of food.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Serious Erius
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 pm
feed yourself for a few days by eating outwards, then she either has to do the same, or buythose groceries..no?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 pm
Hah...! Unfortunately my budget doesn't have an eating-out group; I haven't planned for going out to eat because I usually keep that in my small Entertainment/Luxury group. XP  

Sentama Lin

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Buy ramen for everyone and say it's all you can afford and store some better food in your room. You don't want them to starve, but you can't let your mother take advantage of you. Give them bare essentials but keep ragging on her because it's not your responsibility to take care of everyone else (at least I don't think so). she has money, she needs to buy food. Food is even more important than bills (in extreme cases). She can't NOT buy food. Tell her to stop buying other crap. That's rediculous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 pm
Ah, but you see, I don't really live with them at the moment; I'm visiting for the holidays so I don't really have a room to hide good food from. Not to mention I'd feel totally asinine eating well (to my standards) while mom makes everyone else suffer.  

Sentama Lin

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm
Maybe you could try to be sneaky...if there is some sort of food you love but that your mom hates...you could buy that ...and only that? Then people can eat..you wont feel bad and your mom will eventually get off her a**, right?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:03 am
Kals is questing again!
Honestly Lin, your mom has a problem and needs help. You wouldn't be helping her any if you keep enabling her irresponsible behaviour. Sometimes tough love is necessary.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:22 am
I've already decided not to give in. But I do worry about my sisters though. I'm hoping my mom won't be so dense as to actually not provide any kind of nourishment at all.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff