Reply Community Lounge
The Master Cleanse Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 am
Nota Bene: I fully understand how totally and absolutely ridiculous this "diet" is; even now I'm very, very, skeptical. Despite that, it sounds like something that might be, well, helpful and cleansing (which is the point), though very difficult.

The Master Cleanse

One of the steps and recommendations set in The Depression Workbook, a book I'm reading to finally recover (as in, make plans to keep myself feeling good and contingency plans to prepare for major episodes) is to do things that will make one's well-being physically and emotionally better. I saw this "diet" (more of a detox regimen than a diet -- I would not recommend this as a weight-loss diet at all) on Zen Habits's How To Press The Reset Button On Life. I'm an avid reader of the blog and find many of the posts, while sometimes ridiculous (though funny in the way a follower of Taoism finds Buddhists funny), extremely beneficial. As such, I'm giving this diet a chance (along with the other things it has in the reset button).

My question is, does anybody want to do the reset steps with me (particularly the "diet")? I'm only planning to do the diet step for sixteen days (three days of preparation, ten days of the actual fast, and three days for post-care). It would just be fun to do it with others.

From what I understand, the requirements for the entire program is as follows:

• Sea salt (for a Saline solution to initiate a bowel movement) or laxative tea
  • Three one-litre containers (cheap Nalgene-like bottles will work)
  • Enough lemons (7 tablespoons per litre) for 2 litres of lemonade per day for ten days
  • Enough maple syrup (7 tablespoons per litre, preferably Grade B) for 2 litres of lemonade per day for ten days and for preparation and post-care
  • Enough cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon per litre) for 2 litres of lemonade per day for ten days
  • Whole fruits and vegetables for the first two days of preparation and the last two days of post-care (for juices and veggie broths and soups)
  • Oranges (for orange juice) for the last day of preparation and the first day of post-care

While it's supposed to be a detox program, and it does specify to use organic foods, I think it'll still have a similar (though not as "pure" effect) if one substitutes pre-bottled juices in place of fresh juices. I know I'm going to be cheating on ingredients; I'll probably end up buying these things from Whole Foods:

• Fruits and vegetables for preparation and post care
  • 10 bottles of Simply Lemonade, adding water to make it 64 ounces (I find it to be slightly cloying anyways).
  • 2 bottles of Simply Orange, adding water to make it 64 ounces
  • Organic Cayenne Pepper
  • Grade B Maple Syrup (or as dark as possible, about 42 ounces)
  • Sea Salt

The average price, about 40 USD -- the maximum I allow for my bi-weekly grocery budget.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 am
Ummm, when you say fast, do you mean NOT EATING for the whole 10 days? Now, I'm no doctor, nor will I ever be, or claim to be, but I'm pretty sure that not eating ( if this IS the case ) can have VERY negative side affects, and will just make you feel worse while on, and a while after the "diet." Drinking alone won't give your body what it needs to keep going.

Also, Maple Syrup and Cayenne... In Lemonade? What the hell?  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 am
It's not exactly a fast; it's more of not having any solid food for ten days. If one actually calculates the calories provided by the lemonade and maple syrup it will provide approximately 1,200 Calories/kilocalories (just at sedentary level requirement). Obviously don't do this if one is not healthy enough to do it; the links explain (along with other blogs I've cross-checked while reading the Zen Habits blog) exactly what the body will do during this detox.

And yeah. Maple syrup in lemonade with cayenne pepper. I know. The lemons will mostly provide a lot of Vitamin C and other antioxidants and help with circulation (IIRC from some alternative medicine thing I read a while back) while Cayenne will lessen pains and will open up blood vessels (meaning, temporarily, blood will flow easier and blood pressure will be lower). A grade-b maple syrup (grading equates to how "clear" the syrup is) will provide more Calories/kilocalories and minerals that lemons and cayenne don't provide. Essentially, it's an interesting little elixir that provides one's sedentary energy, vitamins, and minerals.

Yeah. This is totally granola, and totally ridiculous, but I'd still like to try it.

Oh yeah. Also, the only other thing that is allowed other than the lemon concoction and water is unsweetened teas, preferably herbal.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:43 pm
My friends have done it. I do not recommend fasting for more than 48 hours but I do think the syrup-pepper-lemonade is a good "cleanse" during that... but will make you feel like crap after.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 pm
I still don't think it's exactly a fast. To me a fast implies no caloric/energy intake whatsoever. I'd be getting enough for sedentary behaviour with the concoction. :3  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm
I must say I am quite interested in this idea. Especially after spending the last week boozing and drinking way to much energy drinks and not sleeping properly and stuff. When were you planning to do it? Is it as good idea to do it when you have time off? Like I'll be on two weeks break from work starting 9th of february, or does it not really matter if you're working at the time?

And it seems strange to me that lemonade is the main ingediant in cleansing one self xd *remembers that south park episode where sprite was one of the three ingrediants along with chicken soup and something else I cant rememebr, to cure SARS lol.  

Surazal Dloc

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:44 pm
I'm planning to do this while I work on some of my workbook exercises -- sort of a mini-retreat for myself. However, I don't think you need to take a break when doing this. But it'll probably be easier to do it when on break that way you won't risk any hazard. As you read it's a pretty intense program (I'm planning to do 10 days), so the best time to start would be when you think you'll be okay consuming only 1,200 Calories/Kilocalories per day.

I think part of the whole lemonade spiel, other than the whole increasing circulation, is it is acidic and could be used as an antiseptic for your "tubes" as it were, and also because of a high amount of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant.

Edit: I'll probably start the preparation days this Wednesday.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:01 pm
I have just started to read the the process. I'm a little confused about the making of the lemonade. So the lemon juice and ample syrip with make 2 litres? It doesn't seem like 14 table sppons of juice and 14 of maple syrup will make 2 litres. Or did I miss something? Or will it indeed make two litres and im jsut not good with measures? XD  

Surazal Dloc

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:06 pm
It's the lemon juice + the maple syrup + the pepper + enough water to make 2 litres each day.

I'm simplifying my process (at the expense of some purity) by buying 2-litre jugs of organic lemonade and adding maple syrup and pepper to that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:11 pm
I see, I must have missed where it said add water to the juice and syrup. But this doesn't sound too bad. I'll jsut have to hold off from the candeh for soooo long gonk  

Surazal Dloc

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:14 pm
When do you think you can do it? I wanted to start the easing-in preparation phase of three days, moving from just fruits and veggies to just orange juice, on Wednesday, but I can be flexible.

And yeah. I'll have a hard time, most probably, if my roommates are going to eat actual food.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:28 pm
Well I dont always eat dues to laziness, getting up late, lack of hunger, continously snacking on sugary candeh (the candeh will be the hardest to resist. Mind you thats only on the weekends when I dont workt, i eat the normal three meals and morning tes during the week.

And If I do the wholde 'daily cleanse' thing *shudderes* after owkr like the dude in the instructions did it, I dont see it being a problem to do it soon ^.^ It just might be an idea to get over this flu first.  

Surazal Dloc

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:31 pm
Yeah. I would recommend getting unsick before doing something like this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:34 pm
3nodding I seem to be getting better. And If I keep taking ma pills I should be right in a couple of days. I should be right to start by wenesday I think. It shall be interesting indeed.  

Surazal Dloc

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:35 pm
Yeah. It's going to be a very odd sixteen days, indeed.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff