Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
parents messing up their kids Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

godwin's law violations in this topic...
  unavoidable! woo!
View Results

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 am
when does a parent's right to raise their child as they see fit become null and void?

everyone has ideas of how a child "should" be raised. and most everyone would agree that, so long as a parent isn't abusing their child, they ought to be allowed to raise them as they see fit.

BUT, when is it too far? when is the acceptance of that parent's right too much?

i give you a documentary on the "pop" group, prussian blue.

if you haven't heard of them, thank your lucky stars. these girls will make you want to weep for humanity.

they are the pop idols of the white supremacist movement. actively encouraged by their mother who, for some unknown reason, has sole custody of them and is the "manager" of their band.

the documentary above is around 50 minutes long, but i HIGHLY recommend it.

so, topics:

- when does parental grooming of a child cross over into abuse?

- if its NOT clearly abuse, do we, as members of society, have a right or duty to interfere?

- do you think ((as i hope)) that these girls are starting to realize their mother is batshit crazy?

- how ******** up is it to brand your cows with swastikas??? wtf?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:58 am

I think as a society the most we can do for those types of children is just be a back up if you can even get that close. Let them know they have people to turn to who have their head firmly in reality. I really dont think anyone has the right to tell her whats right or wrong to teach her own children though... its a hard line to walk. On one hand the common view ( and my own just for the record ) is that what she is teaching her children is perverted and potentially harmful to them. On the other should the public really have a say on what beliefs a mother is allowed to teach her children? If so... how far does that go? Thats where things can get tricky and dangerous D:

I think its really funny though how much the black nationalists and the white nationalists are alike! o-o they talk about the same exact things just from different sides... or uh.. colors i guess... both are just full of hate and they blame each other for the violence and pain they have caused each other and the people around them. Not only that but they both have the same kind of martyr mentality to. I would even go so far as to say that these like Islamic extremists sound very much like them to. They are all just hate groups. The more I learn about them the more I realize all those groups are about is hating other people. People with different religions, different skin pigment, different hats, different shirts, differently shaped eyes, They smell funny, They laugh weird!

even more interesting when you put into play that I personally do not believe in races. o.o cultures yes but not races defined by skin pigment. specially when you consider that the pigment of your skin was simply an adaptation your body took on to survive in its environment. When people lived in Africa their skin was dark to deflect the suns rays to keep the body cool. When they moved out across Europe they no longer needed that adaptation and their skin became lighter to absorb the suns light to keep the body warm. Or at least thats what I heard from the discovery channel.. XD

Religious stuff is more complicated though... but I think if indeed this world is going to end and there is a God or maybe even Gods or Goddesses or what have you! I think that in the end we are going to all be really shocked to find we just dont have a clue about anything and all these fightings over " MY GOD HAS A BIGGER p***s THEN YOUR GOD!" and so forth were really for nothing.

and now im babbling so ima go take my dog out to s**t ._.

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50

Lineriku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:22 am
i didnt get to see the whole video....but, i got to the interview part....i dont think those girls have a really good understanding of what they were taught....and of what theyve observed.....its a lot to comprehend............the grandpa made me laugh though....hes still crazy but it was funny......really, what knitterz said is basically it.....color of skin has nothing to do with ones character.........a shitload of people are crazy.....of any skin pigment...or culture or religion.......people are just crazy and i guess some of them blame others for their craziness.....or at least to hide it, or something like "hey look at that guy, look how bad and crazy that guy is...no not me, hes the problem"

...but, its not like we can go talk to those girls and say that we're a better answer than what your family tells you....theyre just going to have to figure things out on their own.....and that doesnt mean i dont think its bad what their family is teaching them, i just cant do much about it....i think im too lazy to do anythung about it even if i could.....kinda wish the video didnt cu off so short....wouldve liked to see what else that documentary had to say......

...i dunno if i can really express whats in my head.....my opinion only really stays clear in my own head so its hard to discuss it with others....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm
This makes me think of Michel Jackson and the kid from Home Alone. Both pushed into stardom by their parents. I think using your child to gain money, basically slavery, yeah that's crossing into abuse. Especially if the child doesn't want that kind of life. They're being exploited. Brooke Shields, she was I think 12 years old when she started in a movie as a prostitute I think, well they made her do a nude scene and it cause a bit of a controversy. When she was interviewed all she said is that it was done in good taste, because no privates were shown. I'm not sure about this because I haven't seen the film.

It kinda scares me how parents abuse the trust of their children. The kids just go along with it because, well she's my mom and she knows what's best. But they're children and you can't expect them to understand (most of the time) that not all parents are "good" or responsible or loving. It's usually with age that they realize, well I'm not being taken care of, I'm being abused, I need to get away. Like the boy from Home Alone did. Another bad case is Gary Coleman, his parents made him work even when he was sick. Then they took most of his money and he ended up with almost nothing. Drew B. thankfully broke out of her bad childhood habits, her mother just plain didn't care and would let her go to parties and drink and use drugs. Gah so many, many things that can happen to a child in that kind of situation.

If a parent wants to encourage and help their child become something like this then they need to be there to set limits, because most child star parents end up becoming the friend. They forget that even though their child works, he/she is still a child, still naive about a lot of things and they still can't decide many things on their own.

Also I feel for child stars who have their parents as their managers. When those parents are not looking out for their child's best interest, but their own.

Those girls, hope they wise up soon. D:

Edit: Also I do think that their needs to be interference, child abuse needs to be dealt with. There are laws in some USA states that are now protecting child actors, sadly I'm not sure if its helping.  

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Dana Pixie Stix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 pm
I'm still in the process of watching the video. I've never heard of these girls.

But all I can think of is, does anyone remember The Jesus Warrior? from....switching spouses or something?

As for abuse. Making them write songs and go to gigs they don't want to, like Munchie said, is a sort of abuse. It's not right to make your kids famous just because you want to go to the parties.(lolbrookeshieldsmom) Do what the Olsen twins did, they had someone else as their manager.(But then again, I'm not sure of a manager who would want them.) If any of that is from their actual "concerts" or whatever. They're not even that good in the singing department anyways.

and yes lolswastikabranding? I'm pretty damn sure you're supposed to put a number on there. Maybe it's on the other side...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 am
lol, they had a documentary about that here in New Zealand. The way they were brought up is disgusting! How could you teach your kids the certain people aren't as good as you, depending on skin colour?! We should be soooooo far past that after WW2's horrors committed to a different group of people. Thank Goodness that everyone else has the sense to see that!

mod edit:

wow, they branded cows with swastikas?

didn't see that written there.

I guess no-one else would brand their cows with swastikas...

could you imagine being in their positions?

((i stuck your 2nd comment in with your first one. DO NOT DOUBLE POST OR RES A THREAD AGAIN! yeah, i saw that thread you res'ed. knock it off and go read our rules!))  

zedrona

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 am
surprised Oh noes you double posted, but that's ok, just delete it and edit the first comment you made. : 3  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 am
MissMunchieMonster
surprised Oh noes you double posted, but that's ok, just delete it and edit the first comment you made. : 3

lol, poor munchie! have you just been following them around correcting them this morning??? xd  

WastelandMama
Crew

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 am
XD Pretty much, well I just saw it and thought I'd try being helpful.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 am
I can't believe I actually watched the entire documentary O_O;; I just got sucked into it XD

My thoughts on it... People are going to raise children how they want them to be raised. Unfortunately, some parents are disturbed and aren't fit to raise children up to society's standards. If you think about it, though, we're ALL "brainwashed" by our parents. Parents are our mentors--those who teach us what is good and bad. We usually don't realize the truth of what's happening in the real world or think for ourselves until we get out of Elementary school at least. That's why teenagers are so rebellious xp Look at those twins in the video! They clearly don't personally believe what their mother is trying to implant in their minds is the right path to take. They even admitted they're sick of the political/white power theme their lives have led on.

This is what I think their problem is:

People ARE allowed to believe what they want. They have a "white power" stance with their family (at least the mother, mostly). But I think they should keep their "proudness" to themselves, and not publicize it. Their problem is that they're trying to get other people to believe in their way of life. Just like Church organizations... >_> I hate those when they come through my line at walmart *puts fliers in the trash after they leave*. DON'T IMPOSE YOUR RELIGION ONTO OTHERS D< lol. I can make the choice myself :O (I apologize if that sounds harsh to others lol ) Just KEEP YOUR BELIEFS TO YOURSELF and you'll be FINE.

Just like couples that come through my line at walmart: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ******** MAKE OUT AT THE REGISTER, WHEN YOU HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO DO IT AT HOME D< Again, people should not publicize their "proudness". WALMART IS A G-RATED PLACE, NOT PG!! (Unless people go streaking through the store, which has happened at mine).

But the poor kids D: Their mother is trying to pre-determine their life goals, which is wrong. The kids are a little bit too young to even think about career goals. But, i'm not too worried, because it sounds like the girls will end up just fine, as they pretty much had it cemented in their minds that they won't be "doing that" forever... or much longer.

...lol, the poor mother.

...the poor FAMILY. D: It's just... dysfunctional.  

Nikori20

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 pm
Knitterz

even more interesting when you put into play that I personally do not believe in races. o.o cultures yes but not races defined by skin pigment. specially when you consider that the pigment of your skin was simply an adaptation your body took on to survive in its environment. When people lived in Africa their skin was dark to deflect the suns rays to keep the body cool. When they moved out across Europe they no longer needed that adaptation and their skin became lighter to absorb the suns light to keep the body warm. Or at least thats what I heard from the discovery channel.. XD

That doesn't make sense. confused I thought black things appear black because they absorb all light. White reflects all light and thus is white. They can't make a white LED light because they need red, blue and green, and one(I think the green) uses massive amounts of power unlike the other two with are economical, which is why there aren't white ones yet, because all three would need to be one. That's why white generally isn't worn in the winter, and black car are horrible in the summer. right?

Oh, and your actors and actresses, and similar professions can be what the child wants, and can be the only way the kid will even get a decent elementary education, let alone college. (tutors versus the poor public schools.)

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm
yeah i think you're right about the light. Didnt dark skins develop as some sort of protection against melanoma or something?  

Iconised Ghost

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Knitterz

That doesn't make sense. confused I thought black things appear black because they absorb all light. White reflects all light and thus is white. They can't make a white LED light because they need red, blue and green, and one(I think the green) uses massive amounts of power unlike the other two with are economical, which is why there aren't white ones yet, because all three would need to be one. That's why white generally isn't worn in the winter, and black car are horrible in the summer. right?

Oh, and your actors and actresses, and similar professions can be what the child wants, and can be the only way the kid will even get a decent elementary education, let alone college. (tutors versus the poor public schools.)

~Metalic_Noodles

Because I am lazy, an excerpt from Wiki.

"The evolution of the different skin tones is thought to have occurred as follows:[who?] the haired primate ancestors of humans, like modern great apes, had light skin under their hair. When Hominids evolved relative hairlessness (the most likely function of which was to facilitate perspiration), they evolved dark skin, which was needed to prevent low folate levels since they lived in sun-rich Africa. (The skin cancer connection is probably of secondary importance, since skin cancer usually kills only after the reproductive age and therefore does not exert much evolutionary selection pressure.) When humans migrated to less sun-intensive regions in the north, low vitamin D3 levels became a problem and light skin color re-emerged. Sexual selection and diet may have played a part in the evolution of skin tone diversity, as well[4]."

EDIT: To add my own opinion on the topic at hand, it doesn't seem like there is much one can say as far as how this woman is raising her children. However, someone might be able to step in about her managerial duties. This does seem like exploitation, I don't think these girls want to take this path with their careers (putting personal lives aside completely here), and that's fairly obvious from this documentary alone. I had never heard of this band before, bcg, thanks for keeping me informed. :]

It was especially strange for me to watch this because I seldom come into contact with my name outside of people addressing me or talking about the month. I've only met another April once IRL, and I almost never hear about people named April except on a few occasions; it's just not a common name around here so every time I hear it referring to another person it really messes me up. XD Especially when it's "April is a prominent figure in the white nationalist movement." I heard that and thought..."I am?! gonk "  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm
Ah science, what can't it answer.
Except why I can't get sex. xDDD  

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items