Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Heart or Mind - interesting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

interested
  and no more sugary drinks
View Results

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:07 pm
Hm, i have been thinking later, maybe too much, but sue me razz . I have been mainly thinking about which rules our relationship sides. We all understand what lust is and can understand it comes down to our animal insticts but love... that on the other hand is baffling. Some say the heart rules love but others say that is is the mind. These are too good reasonings but people also believe our souls rule that side of things...

But how can we be sure we have a soul? our heart is a organ pumping the blood around our body keep our life going. The mind sends the messages causing the heart to be able to work as well as the other organs, these are two things we need to work together to survive. So where does the soul come into it. Is that who we are or is that merely a personality we have built on by using our minds and learning new things throughout life?

Then we have to think about love, if we think rationally the heart and mind are merely organs so therefore cannot have a play in what "love" is. The soul could be merely something we have built internally throughout our lives so could that count as a possibility?

If we are to think rationally this way there is some things which kinda baffle me and have got me thinking "wtf"

For instance has anyone, a female particular had a bad fight with there partner and then experience real pain in there heart? that is said to be the pain of losing a loved one but at the same time it could just be the shock. but this is what confuses me when a love leaves or a loved one passes away we are met by a increase in pain which can give the impression that it is because love comes from the heart or is the brain passes messages to experience pain OR is it the soul

interesting and confusing all at the same time..

Discuss

what love is
does love control the heart, mind or soul
or is it something which we build through our lives
and is the pain we feel something we fabricate  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 pm
Well, I know when I was going through my "heart ache" in a realtionship, I really was having bad chest pains. But I had that all checked out and everything was normal - so yes, I think sometimes our mind/body makes us ache because of emotional pain.

As far as the involvement of the heart, mind, and soul - I think they all have a part in love and trully, you have to find what part matters the most to you is. Is it heart that is strong enough withstand all the hardships in a realtionship? Is it the soul thinking that this person could be the other link to fullfilment? Or maybe even the mind, that tries to rationalize your love. Perhaps if all three are balanced than love can be a real success...

Eh, but what do I know? All my realtionships end in my ex hating me and I hating them xd  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:44 pm
Goddess Ace
so yes, I think sometimes our mind/body makes us ache because of emotional pain.

thats what my whole area of study is all about mrgreen less about the pain of a broken heart- but the mind can cause physical pain/symptoms, definately.

Does love control the heart, mind or soul? Why cant it be all three? What if its something else completely- maybe an evolutionary tendency selected for because of the benefits to the species- long term relationships mean that the few children people have (compared to other mammals usually) are more likely to survive, you have a guaranteed breeding partner (xD), sharing resources means you are both more likely to survive....

I like to think love is something deeper than evolution. But maybe i'm evolutionarily wired to think that mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm
Tough to say I don't really break my head thinking about it because there's no real answer I can come up with. I just know that when I'm with that person I feel happy and in a different way than with others and that even when I get mad at him I still care about him and work whatever it is out because I want to be close to him. XD I guess that's love to me. Where it comes from? When you get hurt by the person you love it feels like your heart hurts so I guess that's why some believe it comes from there, but like Ghost said I think it involves everything we are composed of. :3

XD All I've been taught about love is that it's not a feeling, it's a value.  

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:28 pm
well, there's that "broken heart syndrome" where you can actually go into heart failure over a painful emotional loss or trauma, but...

since your whole body is controlled by your brain, i say everything's in it. soul/heart/whatever. all in the brain.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS!!! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 pm
bluegrass cat
i say everything's in it. soul/heart/whatever. all in the brain.

meningitis, mad cow disease, tetanus... mrgreen  

Iconised Ghost

Zaoth Kun
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:05 am
Don't tell me you and mike have had a falling out sad
How's Kait?

I think it's more of a mental thing. but when me and my ex broke up my heart ached so much but it's probably just my mind trying to express my pain and that was the only way.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm
Hmm.
It could be a combination of both. I'm not sure though, I'm not exactly mister relationship here. xD  

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Allow me to explain.

The heart is an organ that pumps blood. It is controlled by the brain. The soul is a collection of experiences registered by the brain. As the brain reads in new experiences, it's internal architecture changes, and your emotional responses change. When the brain experiences certain emotions that it is familiar with, it releases various chemicals into the body that create the pain experienced with emotional response.

For example:
Your loved one breaks up with you. Your "soul" or experiences registers that this should cause pain. This causes the brain to release peptides which travel to the chest, causing a tightening feeling, or "heartbreak". Because the pain is in the chest, people think it's their heart. But it's actually caused by the brain.

1) does love control the heart, mind or soul, or is it something which we build through our lives.
Option three. Love doesn't control anything, instead it's something that you give meaning to.

2) is the pain we feel something we fabricate
Yes and no. There is ACTUAL pain, caused by ACTUAL signals from ACTUAL cells in your body, but it's not caused by physical damage; this pain is to blame on the brain.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:02 pm
assuming a soul exists though?  

Iconised Ghost

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 pm
Iconised Ghost

Think of souls as the practical individuality of people. What keeps identical twins from thinking the same thoughts. A collection of your personal revelations and beliefs.

It most definitely exists in the context of this thread.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:21 am
I do love your science behind things Trev xD

Oh and my boyfriend keeps saying " Who's Perry" when he looks at my xbox lol  

Zaoth Kun
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 pm
Awiergan Retribution
Iconised Ghost

Think of souls as the practical individuality of people. What keeps identical twins from thinking the same thoughts. A collection of your personal revelations and beliefs.

oh lol, when people talk about souls i always think of it in the immortal sense xD  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:23 am
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Retribution
Iconised Ghost

oh lol, when people talk about souls i always think of it in the immortal sense xD

yup yup, i do, too...  

WastelandMama
Crew

xVallx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:01 am
It's basically in the brain, which sends signals to your heart, like what to feel when you go through heart break or losing someone.  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games