Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
ITT: Food That Sounds Disgusting But Might Actually Be Good Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:42 pm
Just as the topic says. I occasionally end up seeing some pretty strange things on the Internet and today it was just food. Some of the food looked delicious. Other food was spectacularly crazy. Then, there's Aspic.

Now, I'm normally not so closed minded about food, but the thought of eating a savoury, meat-flavoured gelatine with various surprise things inside sounds absolutely gross.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:52 pm
    Yeah...couldn't say it's something I'd go out of my way to eat, although I'm sure there are far worse things....

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Senryoske

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:05 pm
meat-flavoured gelatine.... eek
I don't think I would eat that. No matter what. It probably tastes good... but I don't think I'll risk it.
Chocolate covered ants, Frog's Legs, Haggis, (suprisingly) sushi. They are thinks I probably will never eat simply because of the way they sound. Bet they taste great... but.... not for me.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 pm
Frog's legs actually aren't too bad. Escargot is something I thoroughly enjoy as well, especially with butter and good bread. I have a slight problem with insects but they probably won't be as bad as I think they are. Haggis... I'll try once.

But... Aspic... I just don't think I could do it unless I could spread it on a cracker or something.  

Sentama Lin

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 pm
Holy frikkin' A...I've actually eaten aspic!

It is kind of not so good. Well, the version I consumed had some brandy involved in the broth before it gelled. I thought it was gross, but without the brandy it might not have been so bad. Fruit in aspic would probably make me retch, but meat and veggies are ok. But no brandy...ew.

I had blood pudding once, that was rather nasty too.

I like pickled squid, onigiri (with seafood/meat), and most Japanese soups. Sushi is awesome to my taste buds. I also like pate and frog legs. Those are some odd looking foods in my book.

Oh, and alligator meat is really good!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm
User Image
THE LIST OF THINGS I'VE EATEN THAT YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T:

Bear Testicles
Cuttlefish
Octopus
Canadian Goose
Rabbit
Grass Seeds
Evergreen Buds
Dandelions
Roses
Grasshopper
Mealworms
Reindeer
Goat
Emu Eggs

---------------------

Aspic sounds really good. I've never heard of it before but I'm totally going to make it for dinner now. I don't see how "Meat" and vegetables is going to taste funny. The gelatin is unflavoured it's known as "Clear Gel" and adds nothing to the taste. It shouldn't be sweet.

--------------------------------------------
I`M SELLING MY INVENTORY! WIN 150,000 GOLD CLICK HERE!
Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV1

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 pm
God-The-RapistV1
User Image
THE LIST OF THINGS I'VE EATEN THAT YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T:

Bear Testicles
Cuttlefish
Octopus
Canadian Goose
Rabbit
Grass Seeds
Evergreen Buds
Dandelions
Roses
Grasshopper
Mealworms
Reindeer
Goat
Emu Eggs

---------------------

--------------------------------------------
I`M SELLING MY INVENTORY! WIN 150,000 GOLD CLICK HERE!
Art By: La Belle Isolde

I had grasshopper chocolates once. My friend didn't tell me what they were until after I'd eaten them. I wouldn't have eaten them if I'd known what they were, but they were pretty good. Nice and crunchy, although I'm sure the chocolate covered up whatever they really taste like. =x

Also, I used to eat rabbit when I was little. I've met plenty of people (mostly urbanites) who are repulsed by the idea of eating it, but I don't see what the big deal is. It makes a good stew. Well. If you eat meat.

I'm curious; what do mealworms taste like, and were they alive when you ate them? And bear testicles, how do you cook those, exactly? You're right in assuming I wouldn't try them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 pm
I've eaten octopus! If it's fried right, it's delicious.
On a side note, Squirrel is surprisingly tasty. Very similar to chicken.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:42 pm
I've eaten rabbit. I can't say I was a big fan. But then, I wasn't too hot on lamb, either.

I have four nominations of my own. I hope they don't necessarily have to be things that taste good, because I'm not trying these even for you guys.

Cheeseburger in a Can - Exactly what it sounds like. It appears mushy, disgusting, and sort of like a burger made out of the mutant hybrid of a cow and a jellyfish.

Casu Marzu - Sheep's milk cheese with maggots living in it. No. Really. And people eat it. And like it. Really.

Thorramatur - It's an Icelandic dish made of rotten shark, head cheese, sheep's fat, seal flippers, the cured scrota of rams, including the testicles - the list goes on.

And Balut - Basically, it is a duck foetus. You crack open the egg, and there is a half-developed duck foetus in there. People eat this.

This is about where my brain broke, but I got most of my info from here, just to prove I'm not making this up.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 pm
User Image

The octopus we had was pickled. I only had one because I didn't know the suckers made a pop when you ate the thing, I almost vomited when that happened. Had they not popped I may have had more because it tasted fine. However I did like squishing the beaks out of it, that was fun.

I've eaten Shark, it was yummy! I haven't really had many exotic foods. sweatdrop

Shadow, those make eating clams and oysters and snail sound like a walk in the park for me. GTR says he's jealous, and he would actually try the casu marzu.

I'ma go be sick over here now!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

lazycommie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:55 pm
Sentama Lin
Just as the topic says. I occasionally end up seeing some pretty strange things on the Internet and today it was just food. Some of the food looked delicious. Other food was spectacularly crazy. Then, there's Aspic.

Now, I'm normally not so closed minded about food, but the thought of eating a savoury, meat-flavoured gelatine with various surprise things inside sounds absolutely gross.

Lark's tongue in aspic. Sounds good AND if you know who did a song called that I'll give you a thousand gold.

On to the topic:

Canned bacon. Yep, it's bacon in a can. It's actually pretty good, but the concept of eating canned bacon isn't normally very appetizing until you have it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm
God-Raped-Me
User Image

Shadow, those make eating clams and oysters and snail sound like a walk in the park for me. GTR says he's jealous, and he would actually try the casu marzu.

I'ma go be sick over here now!
User Image

^ As the article says, though, in the only place where people actually want to eat it, it's illegal. Because those maggots can make you seriously ill by trying to eat their way out of your intestines. Aurgh.

I'm going to go look for other disgusting foods now. I'm sure I can find something that will give me nightmares.  

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 pm
gonk My dad's eaten Balut before. On purpose. And he actually likes the stuff >.<
I mean...I like duck and all, but I like it fully developed before I chuck it down my throat >.>

Now see, I've eaten weird stuff (by American standards at least sweatdrop My personal list of weird stuff I've eaten is rather tame compared to Sanzo and her freakin' tongue tacos and cow brains >.>), but they all look perfectly fine. To me at least. And....other Filipinos >.>

And as for that aspic thing...I wouldn't eat that >.> I don't care if you can't taste the jelly, it'd be a texture thing for me >.<
(Although y'know what that gelatin it's in reminds me of? Like when you first open up a thing of Vienna sausage that's cold or room temperature and the stuff that's in there with the little sausages are all gelled up around it...)

On the subject of canned meat: I never understood why people have this aversion to canned meat >.> (That's technically what Spam and Vienna Sausage and Potted Meat are >.>) And I'd try the canned bacon...I mean, I'm sure I'd like actual bacon better, but I'd try it if I'm hungry sweatdrop But not the cheeseburger in a can. Cuz 1. I don't like cheeseburgers to begin with (except White Castle ones. Those are the only cheeseburgers I'd eat) and 2. Why would you need a cheeseburger in a can anyway? o.O

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 pm
xd I love how I am the measurement on whether stuff you eat is weird or not Invis.

There are very few things I would not eat because of gross out factor, Balut and bugs being the exceptions. I actually thought I might eat Balut, until I saw a picture... yeah can't eat that. As I've stated before, I've eaten almost every single part of a cow. And I have tried rabbit and lamb before, loved both of them. Ooh I've also tried goat, O...M...G so freakin tender and nummy.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:49 pm
I've eaten tongue before, but tongue tacos just sounds weird. And honestly every time I think 'Cow Brains' the thought 'OMG Mad Cow' isn't too far behind >.>

And I think I've tried goat before...it was meh >.>

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces