Oh bananas. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:10 pm
Today I got a letter from my bank. Apparently a third-person party that handles debit/credit transactions had their security hacked into and a bunch of numbers of cards were compromised.

Visa sent a list out to the banks, and guess whose card was on it? Now I have to get a new debit card--luckily the bank is paying for it. But until I get my new card, my old one is probably going to be shut off for about a week.

...and therein is the problem. I still have my accounts with my hometown bank. Usually it works just fine. But the nearest branch is about a 20 minute drive away, and my debit card is of course how I get cash out of the ATM. When I even use the ATM. I usually just pay for everything with my debit card.

I don't even have check blanks, they're on order right now. gonk

Discussion: How do you pay for things? Have you ever had your credit card info compromised, even if it's just suspected? THERE'S ALL SORTS OF OPTIONS. GO AT IT.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 pm
I don't have a credit card. Lately I've been taking trips to the ATM. ******** it, Washington Mutual doesn't charge me for ATM withdrawls or new debit cards.  

Phaeton

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 pm
User Image

I prefer cash. It's still nice and fast, and I never spend the change. So eventually I wind up having $50 in change that I don't calculate into my budget. It's like having extra money. Lately we use debit though.

Nova, you aren't with CIBC are you?
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 pm
No, First National Northeast. It's a small group of banks in mostly small towns of my particular area of Nebraska.

Edit: And it was my debit/atm card :< I have a credit card, but it's only for gas and emergency expenses.  

Novatierrie
Crew

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 pm
Hrm... I suppose this technically IS an emergency situation of sorts; if you were to use the credit card (and keep track of what you use) and pay it back as soon as your checks come in... Presumably your debit card will be back in by then, too.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:06 pm
User Image

I would use the credit card for now, just use it ONLY for emergencies!

Also, the reason I asked was because today the teller at the CIBC I was at said that a s**t load of clients had their cards compromised as well!

Weird!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 pm
A third-party that handles transactions (like Paypal or whatnot) got hacked or something, so a lot of info got stolen.

Hopefully my card will still work through the weekend (they said they were canceling it on a certain date whether they heard from me or not) so I can get some cash from the ATM, either that or my parents will be in town this weekend and they'll help me out. I buy food on a day-to-day basis since I work next to a grocery store, so...kinda don't have a lot of food in the house.

The card is an extension on my mom's credit account because she actually pays for my gas and certain other things due to me not being allowed to have a second job (mine wasn't giving me hours for a while,) so anything I do with it goes by her first.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:18 pm
User Image

Ahh ok, the woman wouldn't tell me what really happened, just that "people had gone somewhere, and someone got the info". I don't really know if SHE knew what had actually happened.

I'm glad I don't use stuff like that!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:29 pm
She probably didn't. I imagine a lot of that stuff wouldn't be broadcasted knowledge, at least until they know what happened and have it mostly resolved.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:43 pm

D: !
That sucks!
I recently had to get a new Debit Card because apparently an ATM I used wasn't safe- so they shut off all my accounts without my knowing (they left a message on my machine that no one told me about T__T).

Thank God I didn't buy anything,
I can't live without that piece of plastic, I never have cash on me.

Tsu.png

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:44 pm
Neither do I, which is why I'm going '...oh beans.' I like being able to buy at least lunch sometimes. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 pm

this is the perfect opportunity to MAKE a lunch! 0:
Unless you are like me and don't have the time to make it, ;_;

Tsu.png

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 pm
I buy my food day to day ;; I don't keep it in the house. It helps with boredom snacking.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:20 pm
God-Raped-Me
User Image

I prefer cash. It's still nice and fast, and I never spend the change. So eventually I wind up having $50 in change that I don't calculate into my budget. It's like having extra money. Lately we use debit though.

Nova, you aren't with CIBC are you?
User Image

Lol, I do that too! Only I count the change into my budget so I can know EXACTLY how much money I have.

so yeah.  

badazzgrlo

124-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 pm
I pretty much pay for everything using my debit card, but I do keep some cash on me.

That's mostly because I won't gamble on my card, though... >.>

Anyway, your situation really sucks, but like others have pointed out, it's good that you have the safety net that is the credit card so you can buy essentials (food and gas) and emergency incidentals. Oh, and you are never responsible for fraudulent charges to your card, never let anyone tell you different.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff